• Do You Have Food Guilt?

February 3, 2011

So, I had a pretty big scare yesterday: I thought we lost all of our wedding photos! 8-O

After Mal and I got married, our photographer gave us all of the photos from the wedding on a couple of disks. I wanted to update my Wedding page on CNC, but when I went to look for them, there were nowhere to be found. Mal and I turned the house upside-down looking for them, but no luck.  We’ve moved so many times, I thought they probably got lost in the shuffle.

I gave my old Mac laptop to Mal (long story), so when he was transferring all of my files over to my new computer last night, he stumbled upon our wedding photos!! Hooray! Apparently, at some point, I put all of the photos from the disks on my computer. I was so happy!

I plan to devote a few blog posts to recapping our wedding, so keep a look out for them!

672 (426x640)

Lunch

Easy, quick, lunch today. I started with leftover brussels sprouts.

_MG_9221 (640x426)

And then moved onto a toasted bagel with cream cheese on one half and peanut butter on the other. I also ate a very juicy pear.

_MG_9231 (640x426)

Feel Great Weight

I never shared my Feel Great Weight post yesterday, so here it is: How I Stopped Feeling Guilty About Food. I don’t think I’ve ever talked about food guilt on CNC, so I’m curious to hear what you have to say about it.

Do you ever feel guilty about food? How do you deal?

Hannah February 3, 2011 at 8:16 pm

Thank heavens you found the wedding photos! That would’ve been a horrible feeling, thinking you’d lost them!

Ally (oatsandspice) February 3, 2011 at 8:18 pm

I had brussel sprouts for lunch today too :) Aren’t they the best?

kell February 3, 2011 at 9:22 pm

thank you for bringing up this issue! as someone who is recovering from an eating disorder, i do experience food guilt quite a bit. But, i also want to tell you what an inspiration you and your blog have been to me throughout this process. for a long time i have noticed that you make no apologies, judgements, or justifications for what, when, or how much you eat. I honesty think you are probably the healthiest role model for women in the blog world. it is refreshing and very encouraging to see a woman who eats enough to support a healthy, active body – and stills look super duper fantastic . . . that is what inspires me to let go of my food guilt once and for all too!

Steph February 3, 2011 at 9:51 pm

good question. not sure what i have. . .. food guilt? i dont necessarily feel guilty but i am definitely obsessed with food, calories, etc. . . i just love eating so its hard to find the right balance because i definitely am happier when have a few less pounds on me! i just want 0 calories food (and not celerey or arugla) like zero calorie peanut butter, cereal and icecream :-)

Teague February 3, 2011 at 10:03 pm

I’d definately say I used to suffer from food guilt. But like you i think that it would be a shame to miss out on things that taste so wonderful just because they’re considered “naughty” foods. I think that as long as you eat healthy and exercise you leave yourself room to be naughty every now and then.

Lindsay @ The Reluctant Runner February 4, 2011 at 6:18 am

Food guilt is hard to break. One of my goals is to stop feeling it. I make so many healthy food choices throughout the week that if I really want a cookie or some chips, it’s fine. I’m trying to just enjoy all food, including moderate amounts of indulgent things. Everything has a place in my diet, some things just less than others :)

Anna (Always a Benanna) February 4, 2011 at 8:32 am

You are so right about needing to find balance. Its not always about grouping foods in a category of “good” or “bad.” For me, I always try and balance my food – if I have pizza for dinner last night, I’ll try and have a salad tonight. Not because I feel guilty or because I need to “make up for the bad food,” but because I know that I feel happier and my body feels better when I have a healthy, balanced diet!

Amber K February 4, 2011 at 12:00 pm

I used to constantly! But I’m actually a LOT better about it. It’s a little easier now that I am gluten intolerant because I know certain foods just aren’t an option, and thankfully most of those are bad for me anyway! I still wish my stomach wasn’t so picky and I could fully enjoy food without worrying about it hurting me, but I do feel a lot better now!

Christine February 4, 2011 at 4:19 pm

I think you explained your changing perspective really well through the example of the foodie trip. I used to be very overweight and had an unhealthy relationship with food. Now that I’m older, wiser, fitter, and an avid cook and traveller, I’ve come to see the difference. I appreciate food that is distinct, well-prepared, full of complex flavours–food that is an experience in and of itself. I only feel guilty when I ignore my inner voice and make food choices that are not valuable experiences or particularly rewarding, like mindlessly devouring a giant bag of ju jubes in front of the TV.