• The Cosby Cake

January 24, 2011

Speaking of The Cosby Show, does anyone else remember the episode when Cliff helps himself to a piece of cake and replaces it with paper towels so Claire doesn’t find out? It’s so funny!

As kids, my sister and I thought this was a genius idea and, of course, hilarious, so we made our own Cosby Cake for my mom’s birthday. I can’t remember exactly how old we were—my guess is junior high—but I’m glad someone thought to snap a photo. Look at this masterpiece! (I have no idea what the hammer was for?)

IMG

I remember my mom cutting into the cake and serving a few pieces, but she didn’t cut deep enough to reach the paper towels. The suspense was killing us, so, eventually, my sister and I just told her what we had done. We thought we were so cleaver! My mom thought we were nuts.

Workout

I got my first taste of Body Pump 76 today! My gym released it the weekend that I was in Phoenix, so I’ve been wanting to try it. It was definitely worth the wait!

I LOVE the music!!! I’ve reviewed Body Pump 73, Body Pump 74, and Body Pump 75 on CNC, and I always seem to complain about the music in the new BP releases. After a few weeks, the music always grows on me, but I never like it in the beginning. But, Les Mills nailed it with 76. I love all of the tracks! :mrgreen:

• Warm up: The Climb – Almighty Pop Factor
    • Squats: Telephone – Pandora BX
    • Chest: Beautiful Day – Lee Jones
    • Back: Pyromania – Sun Flash
    • Triceps: My First Kiss – 3OH!3 feat. Ke$ha
    • Biceps: Not Myself Tonight – Christina Aguilera
    • Lunges: Storm – DJ Lotus
    • Shoulders: Bring It Back – Paffendorf
    • Abs: Cooler Than Me – Mike Posner
    • Cool down: The Truth – Kris Allen

A few quick notes:

• The triceps track is killer! You don’t use the bar at all, so there’s plenty of dips, kickbacks, and triceps push-ups. I am going to be SO SORE tomorrow!
    • The biceps track was also super challenging. I used my normal weight and regretted it about a third of the way through the track. I suggest going light on this one!
    • The lunge track was easier that usual. Add some weight, baby!
    • Holy abs! Very tough! I barely made it through the plank.

Lunch

For lunch, I enjoyed a wonderful salad + smoothie combo.

I made Angela’s Salt & Vinegar Roasted Chickpeas. (I soaked the chickpeas overnight instead of boiling them.)

_MG_8484 (640x426)

I added the chickpeas to a salad made with grape tomatoes and balsamic vinegar.

_MG_8488 (640x426)

And, on the side, I enjoyed the best smoothie of my life!

MY GOSH! It was the most delicious thing ever! Really. It tasted just like gingerbread, but much more refreshing. I actually made a second smoothie about an hour after eating lunch. I’d probably drink a third one, but my stomach is so full now.

Gingerbread Smoothie

Makes 1

Ingredients:

• 1 cup Almond Breeze
    • 1 pear, diced
    • 1 scoop of Vanilla Whey Superior Charge
    • Handful of ice
    • A few shakes of cinnamon
    • A few shakes of ground ginger

Directions:

• Combine all ingredients in a blender until smooth.
    • Enjoy immediately!

_MG_8508 (640x426)

Work, work, work all afternoon.

maria January 24, 2011 at 5:10 pm

this is my favorite cosby episode ever! over thanksgiving i was explaining it to my boyfriend, who was thinking we could “Try” a piece of cake before we brought it over to his parents house. when i said i was out of paper towels to frost, he was totally lost. so glad you included the clip!!!

Katie January 24, 2011 at 5:30 pm

I really want to take a bodypump class and teach one in the future! One of my goals is to become a group fitness instructor ! I have made the initial step today too ; )

Yum ! The gingerbread smoothie sounds amazing!

Ajay January 24, 2011 at 8:26 pm

Katie – enjoy!! I love teaching group fitness and I hope you get as much out of it as I do!

Alyssa January 24, 2011 at 5:43 pm

I’m hitting up my first Body Pump class in 3 weeks tomorrow morning! Can’t wait!

Jess January 24, 2011 at 5:51 pm

Ahahaha! I thoroughly enjoyed this post, thanks!
    Jess : )

Katy (The Singing Runner) January 24, 2011 at 5:55 pm

I love The Cosby Show! :D And that is one of my favorite episodes!

Kerri@tinybuttons January 24, 2011 at 5:57 pm

Love that Cosby Episode and the looks of guilt and surprise.

Gabrielle January 24, 2011 at 6:22 pm

That Cosby episode is hysterical and totally something my own dad would do. Actually, I wouldn’t have been surprised if he HAS done that before!

Sara (Miles & Manhattan) January 24, 2011 at 6:43 pm

Haven’t thought about the Cosby show in FOREVER! Made me sile definitely :)
    Sara

Lynn (The Actors Diet) January 24, 2011 at 6:59 pm

i think of bill cosby whenever i eat chocolate cake, b/c of his “bill cosby himself” standup show (which, if you haven’t seen, you really should)

Maryann January 24, 2011 at 7:00 pm

My gym JUST released 76! Are we really behind or something?? I don’t really like it…so many pushups!

Lisa@Smart Food & Fit January 24, 2011 at 7:13 pm

I loved that Cosby episode, thanks for reminding me of it. Made me and my boys laugh! I think my gym calls it total body conditioning, I’ll have to look into trying a body pump workout. Lately I’ve been into the Pure Barre workouts.

Jess (Sweet Potato) January 24, 2011 at 7:17 pm

Those kind of memories are the best!

Mari January 24, 2011 at 7:18 pm

I loved the Cosby Show!! it was so fun watching the clip you posted today.

Jenn (real-nutrition-nyc.com) January 24, 2011 at 7:38 pm

mmm, that cake looks so delicious! Thanks for another yummy post, as always!

Wendy Irene(Give Love Create Happiness) January 24, 2011 at 7:47 pm

LOVE the hammer in the cake picture! That is hilarious!! :D

Jessica January 24, 2011 at 7:55 pm

I think that you put up the track list for the upcoming release of body pump. They only just released 76, unless Healthworks is super behind! I agree, though, I think the music is AMAZING!

Sarah (Running To Slow Things Down) January 24, 2011 at 8:33 pm

I absolutely *love* the Cosby Show, and this was by far the best episode. So funny. And I love that you and your sister stuffed your mom’s cake with paper towels. :mrgreen:

sara January 24, 2011 at 8:39 pm

is that a hammer next to the cake?! haha

lauren @ spiced plate January 24, 2011 at 9:02 pm

totally remember that episode ! When I was a kid my parents let me stay up “late” (gasp! 8:30!) on Thursdays to watch…so amazing…nothing like it on TV now!

I had chickpeas today, too!

Caroline January 24, 2011 at 9:05 pm

OMG! I so remember that episode! How funny!

chandra January 24, 2011 at 9:14 pm

Whoa – hold up – your gym just released 77?! We must be majorly behind, we just launched 76!

Gabriella January 24, 2011 at 9:52 pm

My gym seems to always launch the new Bodypump releases a few weeks after yours, so I enjoy getting a heads up about what to expect from your review posts. I’m really not looking forward a tricep track that doesn’t use the bar.

Allie @ The Constant Pursuit January 24, 2011 at 10:02 pm

I’m dying to try Bodypump!! Yet to find any near me :( I’m hoping I can find some kind of class that is comparable around me because I really want to get in some serious strength training for my next marathon!

Beatrix @ Beaglebea January 24, 2011 at 10:16 pm

I love that Cosby episode…I used to watch the show all the time. Can’t say I ever did anything like that though. Hehe…kids.

Hannah January 24, 2011 at 10:33 pm

Oooh, I’ve been adding cinnamon and ginger to my smoothies for ages but never clicked onto calling it gingerbread! Love the combination :)

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin January 24, 2011 at 10:46 pm

Haha that story totally cracked me up because my sister and I always did similar “pranks” when we were younger! :D

kristin January 24, 2011 at 10:47 pm

I’m going for 2 bodypump classes a week and hadn’t been able to get to the gym all week due to crazyy work schedules and I’m not sure when i can go this week… sooo I decided to do bodypump on sat and sun this weekend. they did bodypump on 76 both days! i’m pretty sore! haha i LOVE the telephone squats track! everything was super hard but the lunges!

Alexia @ Dimple Snatcher January 25, 2011 at 12:57 am

Ahhhh!! I love you for posting that clip!!

Marieke January 25, 2011 at 8:23 am

I did body pump 76 for the first time last week. I love it! Agree on the tricep, bicep and abs track – wow!

Taylor (Delish World) January 25, 2011 at 12:54 pm

The tricep track is killer! Hardest one I’ve done, I think.

Christie January 25, 2011 at 8:34 pm

this was one of my favorite cosby shows!! thanks for reminding me of it :)

dude, that SMOOTHIE??? thanks for posting the recipe. im going to try almond milk for the first time, thanks to this idea!

Mousse Cakes January 25, 2011 at 9:08 pm

Gingerbread smoothie. That sounds delicious!!! Lovely story about the paper towel cake. I miss old shows like the Cosby Show. We don’t have that type of show anymore.

Dee January 25, 2011 at 9:20 pm

oh my! this lunch sounds amazing! I need to bookmark this.

Amy January 29, 2011 at 12:08 pm

Haha, I totally remember that episode! It was so funny!

Rebel mel January 29, 2011 at 12:57 pm

I absolutely love you for making a Cosby cake!

Kelly@BalancedDaily August 1, 2012 at 9:31 am

Hahaha I remember that episode! That’s too funny that you and your sister replicated it and found it hilarious. Music always makes my workouts go faster especially when I know the words and can focus on singing them in my head, rather than on the pain! If you’re abs were killing after that ab workout there’s no way I would survive.