• Honey-Roasted Root Vegetables

January 4, 2011

I love root vegetables, especially the roasted kind. And when you add honey to the mix… perfection.

_MG_7090 (640x426)

So, when I stumbled upon a recipe for Honey-Roasted Root Vegetables from Cooking Light, I knew that I wanted to make it as soon as possible.

_MG_7107 (640x426)

The recipe calls for sweet potatoes, turnips, parsnips, and carrots. It also calls for shallots, but I didn’t have any on-hand. Even still, I think the dish turned out wonderfully. It’s a good thing too because I’m going to be eating these leftover for days!

_MG_7118 (640x426)

The honey really enhances the natural sugars of the caramelized vegetables and, boy, are they delicious! The sweet potatoes practically tasted like candy!

Lunch

For lunch, I paired the Honey-Roasted Root Vegetables with a small piece of pork (leftover from last night’s dinner) and a toasted English muffin with almond butter spread on top.

_MG_7132 (640x426)

After eating that meal, I am SO full! I might even be too full for something sweet!

_MG_7133 (640x426)_MG_7137 (640x426)

Afternoon plans: Pug walk + getting my yoga on! :-D

Ellen @ Cinnamonalicious January 4, 2011 at 4:09 pm

Honey roasted veg = YUM! I have roast veg almost everyday, I just love them! Putting honey in the mix is something I haven’t done in a while actually, deffo gonna gobble some up soooon!

Christina January 4, 2011 at 4:31 pm

yum! I have parsnips in the fridge – will probably be making a paired down version of this – thanks for sharing Tina!

Rose January 4, 2011 at 4:48 pm

Wow – this is a great idea for a fall/winter casserole-type dish.

Gill (snaxandthecity) January 4, 2011 at 5:21 pm

Wow that looks incredible! It’s 10:20pm at night here but I am still lusting after those veg haha! Note to self: make soon!

faith @ gracefulfitness January 4, 2011 at 5:34 pm

Nothing fills me up like roasted roots, I love it!

meghan January 4, 2011 at 6:28 pm

This sounds delicious, and I’m really impressed that you had all of those veggies on hand. Also, if you don’t get a bit of a cut from puffins, you should I bought a box yesterday because of all of your mentions, and they’re delicious. They’re almost gone (my boyfriend also loved them…)

megan @ the oatmeal diaries January 4, 2011 at 6:44 pm

Ooh, those root veggies look awesome! I love them roasted :)

Daisey January 4, 2011 at 6:54 pm

Looks yum.

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin January 4, 2011 at 6:56 pm

I’ve been obsessed with roasted root veggies this fall/winter! Never tried them with honey though. Thanks for the recipe! :D

Elizabeth@The Sweet Life January 4, 2011 at 7:23 pm

Wow! Those look amazing. Perfect for a January back-to-work-this-is-reality night! How are the sugar cravings coming along?

Tina January 4, 2011 at 7:33 pm

Good! I’ve written about it quite a bit in previous posts.

Lindsey January 4, 2011 at 9:02 pm

I printed this recipe off recently, but I can’t convince the husband to try it. Perhaps now I’ll be able to convince him…

Hannah January 4, 2011 at 9:18 pm

Oh, this looks great! I’ve used maple syrup many times with my root veggies, but never honey. I even have some fancy leatherwood honey I could use!

Pam (Holistic Health Coach) January 4, 2011 at 9:26 pm

Your lunch looks so yummy! The roasted root veggies and almond butter on bread add enough sweetness to the meal I think, plus you had adequate protein from the meat. Great job!!
    I roasted some parnips and carrots tonight with dinner and made some garlic lime broccoli with chicken. yum yum!

Katie @ Healthy Heddleston January 4, 2011 at 9:35 pm

I had parsnips the other day for the first time and made them like fries.. didn’t care efor them — boo!

The Healthy Apple January 4, 2011 at 10:11 pm

Love those roasted veggies…looks delish, Tina!

Muncher Cruncher January 4, 2011 at 10:28 pm

WOW. Those look so SO good. I can’t wait to try them. I love new ways to spice up the veggies. Thanks!!

Tessa January 5, 2011 at 2:25 am

Would be interesting to hear your views and experiences on yoga. I am also a runner
    And very interested to incorporate it into my training.. but I’m worried I won’t be flexible and patient enough. What tips do u have on getting started?

CaSaundra January 5, 2011 at 8:00 am

Mmm!! Love the sounds of the roasted veggies with honey. Perfect for eating in season too :-)

Jennifer@keepitsimplefoods January 5, 2011 at 9:02 am

Love roasted veggies. I like adding red pepper flakes for a big of spice!

Teresa@http://vivaciousrunninggirl.blogspot.com/ January 11, 2011 at 9:35 pm

Those look delish! I made a lil spin off of the recipe with agave nectar and added some balsamic vinegar.