• Butterscotch French Toast

January 3, 2011

Good morning and happy Monday! 8-)

My To Do list for the week is insane, so I’m off to a running start this morning. The pug, however, woke up, ate breakfast, and went back to sleep on the couch. Oh, how I wish I had his life.

_MG_6883 (640x426)

If you didn’t read CNC over the weekend, here are some posts to catch you up!

Workout

I can’t believe the marathon is just 13 days away!! 8-O I’m so ready to run it, but, at the same time, not ready! Excited, but nervous, ya know?

I’m still in taper mode, so here’s this week’s schedule from our TNT coach:

• Monday: Easy 30 minute run
    • Tuesday: Easy 30 minute cardio
    • Wednesday: Easy 25 minute run
    • Thursday: Easy 20 minute cardio
    • Friday: Off
    • Saturday: 8 miles

After breakfast, I’m off to run an easy 3 miles around the neighborhood. It’s actually fairly warm and sunny outside this morning, so I might as well take advantage of the nice weather. I’m sure there will be plenty of treadmill running this winter.

Breakfast

Mmm… Butterscotch French Toast! Seriously, who doesn’t love French toast? Or butterscotch for that matter?

_MG_6895 (640x426)

However, I realize that most people don’t love the calories, fat, and sugar in such an indulgent breakfast, but a little butterscotch extract goes a long way!

_MG_6923 (640x426)

Butterscotch French Toast

Makes 2 servings

Ingredients:

• 4 slices of whole-grain bread
    • 1/3 cup liquid egg whites
    • 1/4 cup milk
    • 2 tsp butterscotch extract

Directions:

• Whisk ingredients (minus the bread) together in a large mixing bowl.
    • Heat pan (or griddle) over medium heat; coat with non-stick cooking spray.
    • Coat slices of bread with the mixture and place in the pan/griddle.
    • Cook each piece for 2-3 minutes and then flip. Cook on the other side for about 1-2 minutes, until golden brown.
    • Remove from pan and serve with your favorite toppings. (I spread almond butter on top of mine.)

_MG_6898 (640x426)_MG_6890 (640x426)

On the side, I had half of a pink grapefruit.

_MG_6892 (640x426)

And a glass of iced coffee with soy milk.

_MG_6904 (640x426)

_MG_6919 (640x426)

What are your fitness goals for the year?

Mine are to run a marathon, go to Body Pump at least once a week, and run 4 half marathons (one per season). That last goal is new! :-D

Heather January 3, 2011 at 11:16 am

i like your four half marathons goal! It’s a great idea to try to run one each season :)

This year I want to run the Firecracker 4 race in under 38 minutes, run my half marathon in October, and finally learn how to do a real push up….for REAL this time.

Maren January 3, 2011 at 11:23 am

I know this is crazy late but I absolutely love the new look! I really liked the last one but this one feels so much more like you! I hope you love it too. The butterscotch toast is amazing. I’m wishing I’d read this post before I made breakfast.

Clare @ Fitting It All In January 3, 2011 at 11:24 am

Like you, I am running a marathon! Mine is not until April so I’ve still got all of the tough training ahead of me.

I also want to do more strength training. It will help me tone up and is good for my bones!

Lisa January 3, 2011 at 11:29 am

Oh that sounds delicious! French Toast is my favorite breakfast. I haven’t tried flavors though.

Ann @ Day by Day January 3, 2011 at 11:40 am

First of all, I really like the new look of your blog! My fitness goals for the year include to run my first 10k and then my first half marathon. I’d love to do one in April/May. Since I’ve had foot problems in the past, a side-goal of my half marathon goal is to stay injury free and not overdo it in training. Another goal is more yoga!

Lauren January 3, 2011 at 11:53 am

Mm butterscotch. My goal is beat my half-marathon PR, which I’m pretty confident I can do because I didn’t train that well for my last one.

colleen January 3, 2011 at 11:58 am

Adorable pug shot! Love the idea of adding butterscotch to french toast – must try!

Jess January 3, 2011 at 12:00 pm

That french toast looks amazing. I love the goal of a half marathon each season. Simple, straight forward, doable.

Heather January 3, 2011 at 12:02 pm

PF Changs 1/2 in January, Ragnar Relay Del Sol in February, taking a break from running for the rest of the year. I want to get back into Bikram Yoga and Zumba classes and just try new fitness things without being tied to a training schedule.

Kelly January 3, 2011 at 12:03 pm

I’m running a marathon in 6 days! My first ever! My fitness goals are just to enjoy exercise again and I’m doing a January challenge to workout for at least 30 minutes every day during the month. I want to run more half marathons too but I haven’t set a specific goal for myself. Good luck with your goals!

Corey @the runner's cookie January 3, 2011 at 12:11 pm

I didn’t know you could buy butterscotch extract – so cool! I’ll have to look for it.
    I have a few fitness goals, most of them related to running but I also want to keep up yoga and strength training.
    There are so many things I want to do but I need to limit the number of goals I set, otherwise I will be so unfocused!

Hope January 3, 2011 at 12:11 pm

Butterscotch french toast sounds so good! I definitely need to try this.

Elizabeth @ The Sweet Life January 3, 2011 at 12:12 pm

Good luck with your taper–remember, it’s better to be a smidge under-trained than a smidge over-trained! Take a lesson from that adorable pug of yours and put your feet up as the big day approaches.

Haleigh January 3, 2011 at 12:23 pm

My fitness goal is to just stick to it! I haven’t been able to (mentally) exercise consistently since I quit gymnastics and cheerleading 4 years ago. Hopefully, this year will be the year that I can do it!

Good luck with your fitness goals!

Katherine January 3, 2011 at 12:40 pm

my fitness goal for 2011 is to run a marathon too!

Doc January 3, 2011 at 1:03 pm

I’ve gotta experiment with adding some more flavors to foods – that french toast seems like a great idea!

I hope to make this my biggest racing year ever. I have three spring 1/2 marathons and a series of triathlons leading up to a 1/2 iron planned for the summer. Now, I just need to make sure I don’t get hurt…which I know is a fear you are familliar with as well!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey January 3, 2011 at 1:05 pm

French toast is sooo good! I am definitely a fan!

Anna January 3, 2011 at 1:06 pm

My fitness goals for the year focuses on increasing my physical activity. I want to do yoga 3-4 times a week and include a brisk walk or run/jog 1-2 times a week.

Katherine: Unemployed January 3, 2011 at 1:14 pm

I actually want to workout less to seek a little balance. cute pup picture!

Susan @ mom swim bike run January 3, 2011 at 1:16 pm

Get over my injury, finish a marathon, set some PRs and HAVE FUN!!!!!

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite January 3, 2011 at 1:16 pm

Butterscotch syrup? Yes please! I had no idea this existed – thanks for sharing!

Bonnie January 3, 2011 at 1:23 pm

I am going to workout 30 minutes a day 5 days a week. Nothing compared to the rest of you. WOW!!!!!!!! I am on a mission to lose 130 pounds. This time I am focusing on exercise and the final reward unstead of “20 pounds in a month”. Been there done that.

Amelia January 3, 2011 at 1:26 pm

I’m 27 weeks pregnant…so my goal is to remain active during the rest of my pregnancy by walking and doing pilates, and then post-baby kick it into high gear whenever my body’s ready!

Lynn (The Actors Diet) January 3, 2011 at 1:38 pm

mmm i’ve never heard of butterscotch extract!!!

Mindy January 3, 2011 at 1:42 pm

Wow, great goals! My fitness goal is to run a half marathon. I signed up to run the Big Sur Marathon in May but as part of a relay team. Hopefully it will inspire me to run the full-half marathon on my own in November, and then I’ve got my eyes on the 2012 Napa Marathon.

Christine (The Raw Project) January 3, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Lol, sounds like my dog. The french toast looks wonderful. My goals this year is mainly running – two half-marathons and a pretty hefty mileage goal.

Laurab @ foodsnobstl January 3, 2011 at 2:16 pm

I want to run a sub 23 minute 5k. I can’t wait until it is nice outside so more races are available!

Jen January 3, 2011 at 2:21 pm

I love the bowl for your grapefruit :) I have been loving grapefruit lately, delicious!

My fitness goals are to actually do some exercising :/.

Jen

Katherine January 3, 2011 at 2:30 pm

My fitness goal is to try new classes. I seem to get in a rut where I do the same workout day after day and then I get so bored and dread working out. I especially want to get into yoga this year!

Dynamics January 3, 2011 at 2:41 pm

Once I recover from my injury I plan on conquering my mountain with a better time and to make it to the top without stopping. I am going to keep a great log of my activities this year so I can see the improvement.
    I have a garmin now so I look forward to actually reading how high this mountain of mine is.

Linda January 3, 2011 at 2:47 pm

I love your dog and french toast =) My fitness goal is run 10k in 1 hour..

Annette January 3, 2011 at 2:55 pm

WHOA 4 Half marathons? That is a very cool (and fun) goal! Good luck with that. And ps. that breakfast looks delish ;)

Salah@myhealthiestlifestyle January 3, 2011 at 3:00 pm

that french toast looks awesome!!!!

Justeen @ Blissful Baking January 3, 2011 at 3:03 pm

mm that looks like a spectacular breakfast!! what a great way to start off your morning :)

Mary @ Bites and Bliss January 3, 2011 at 5:46 pm

YES!! Amazing. I love butterscotch but along with everyone else, hate how unhealthy it is. Thank you. :)

One big fitness goal this year: run a marathon! :D You’ve been quite the inspiration.

Kristi January 3, 2011 at 7:15 pm

Butterscotch french toast sounds fabulous!

Paige @Running Around Normal January 3, 2011 at 8:09 pm

How have I lived my whole life and not known about butterscotch extract?!? Must find this… :)

The Healthy Apple January 3, 2011 at 8:38 pm

Mmmm butterscotch French toast…I’ve tried almond extract and vanilla extract but never the butterscotch…Thanks Tina; great idea!

Hannah January 3, 2011 at 9:19 pm

Oh, WOW! We don’t even have butterscotch chips in Australia, let alone butterscotch extract. You’re killing me over here! :P

Leah January 3, 2011 at 9:30 pm

Wow I haven’t been to your blog for a while because of the holidays, but I really like the changes! It looks so elegant and kind of has a scrapbook feel to it (with the shading around the photos). Good move!

Sarah January 3, 2011 at 9:43 pm

my fitness goals for 2011 are to run 500 miles, my first race – a 5k, and to practice yoga at least twice a week.

and i have to say, i LOVE the pug pics. i seriously show my fiance every single one and make baby-talk, cutie pie, noises. how much more obvious do you think i have to be for him to realize i want to murphy jr?!

Lisa@Smart Food & Fit January 3, 2011 at 9:52 pm

I’ve used vanilla and almond extract but will have to try the butterscotch. I’ll have to add it to my hot oatmeal! Thanks for the great idea.

I’m in physical therapy for my knee, so for now my fitness goal is to start with basic movements to regain strength in my knee & slowly get back into cardio training. I love running so for now I have to lay off!

Char January 3, 2011 at 10:05 pm

Such an adorable photo of Murphy!!! :D

xoxo

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin January 3, 2011 at 10:18 pm

4 half marathons!? You’re such a champ Tina! :D

My goal is to run my first 5K race!

MichellePC January 4, 2011 at 12:27 pm

My fitness goals are to workout more consistently, but to change up my routines more often. I get bored too easily!

Katie G. January 4, 2011 at 1:30 pm

Re-attempt yoga AGAIN, and train for a triathlon (which involves re-learnng how to swim correctly). Yikes, but excited!

Erika January 4, 2011 at 5:00 pm

I’ve been craving french toast big time for some reason. I may have to have it for dinner now. :)

Prash September 14, 2011 at 11:43 pm

hey can u tell me where to buy butterscotch flavor?