• Twenty

December 18, 2010

We did it!!! :mrgreen:

Mal and I both tackled 20 miles this morning! Boo-YAH!

IMG_0031

At 6:30 this morning, I ate my usual pre-run breakfast. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

IMG_0025

Then, Mal and I drove to South Boston to meet our team. We didn’t want to be late for our 20-miler, so we gave ourselves plenty of time to get there. Plus, we needed to stock up on Gu for our run! (I’m lovin’ the vanilla flavor lately!)

IMG_0028

Today’s running route was very similar to the one we did for our 18-miler, but we spent more time on the Charles River. We did two big loops and finished in South Boston.

I didn’t snap any photos with my iPhone (like I usually do) because I really just wanted to finish in one piece! My foot bugged me for the entire 20 miles. :-? I even considered quitting around Mile 7, but my coach gave me the motivation that I needed to continue on. Somehow, I managed to finish, but it wasn’t pretty!

• Mile 1: 10:16
    • Mile 17: 10:05
    • Mile 18: 10:17
    • Mile 19: 10:15
    • Mile 20: 10:01

Total: 3:19:45

IMG_0030

Once I finished (still with pain in my foot), I decided to buy a different pair of sneakers. I just bought a new pair, but it turns out that they are too ‘neutral’ for my feet.

IMG_0033

Billy suggested a bunch of shoes with more stability and motion control. I liked them all, but his first recommendation made my hurtin’ foot feel instantly better. I guess I just needed a little more support!

IMG_0034

I ended up buying the Mizuno Women’s Wave Inspire 6 in Wild Lime. (Neon colors rule!) I have a good feeling about these babies!

IMG_0042

With comfy new sneakers on my feet, I met my team at the Boston Beer Garden for brunch. We definitely needed to celebrate our longest run!

The first time that we ate at the Boston Beer Garden as a team, we had just finished 8 miles. It’s crazy to think how far we’ve come!

IMG_0045

I ordered the Breakfast Sandwich, which was scrambled eggs with Swiss cheese and bacon on a “gourmet” roll. On the side was fresh fruit and homefries. I ate everything except for the roll, which was in no way “gourmet.”

IMG_0048

On the way home, Mal and I stopped by Dunkin’ Donuts for some iced coffee and a couple of munchkins.

IMG_0049

At home, we quickly Tiger Tailed, showered, dressed, and headed right back out the door to take Murphy to the dog park. The poor pug spent all morning at home on our bed, so he definitely needed some play time.

I rocked my new TNT gloves at the dark park!

IMG_0002 (640x480)IMG_0005 (640x480)

Mal and I spent about an hour at the park with Murphy. It felt really good to walk around and loosen up our legs. Sitting in the car on the ride over actually sort of hurt!

2010-12-18 002

2010-12-18 0021

Today totally flew by! Can you believe it’s not even close to over!? Mal and I are meeting friends for a night of CAROL-oke. Ooooh, yes! 8-)

Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) December 18, 2010 at 10:04 pm

Congrats on the 20 miler! That is so amazing! Have fun tonight!

Hannah December 18, 2010 at 10:17 pm

Holy moly, you two are amazing! All I did today was go to a restaurant and eat a lot :P

stacey-healthylife December 18, 2010 at 10:28 pm

Wow congratulations, that’s so amazing.

Cassie December 18, 2010 at 11:08 pm

Congrats on your first 20 miler! Long run days are the best, I always feel so productive (even if running is all that I accomplished). I can’t wait to hear about how you like the shoes – I’m usually loyal to Brooks & Asics, and have never tried Mizunos!

Alaina December 18, 2010 at 11:28 pm

Congratulations on the 20-miler! That’s an awesome time! :-) Hope your new sneakers work out for you!

I have yet to run around the Charles, but once I move to Somerville, you betcha! :-P

Dee December 18, 2010 at 11:34 pm

Wow! Congrats on completing a 20 mile run! That’s awesome!

Lacey @ Lake Life December 18, 2010 at 11:41 pm

Carol-oke?! I hope you take a vid, that sounds like so much fun!

Hears to hoping that your new shoes “kick” your foot pain :-)

Nicole December 19, 2010 at 12:48 am

Congrats on the 20 miler and fighting through the pain!

Brenda December 19, 2010 at 1:49 am

Way to go! Running 20 miles is a huge accomplishment.

Thetreadmilldiaries December 19, 2010 at 5:09 am

Way to go with your 20 mile run! It must feel amazing knowing that your body has that distance in it.

Carole-oke sounds promising. Bet some good fun & laughs were had.

CathyK December 19, 2010 at 6:47 am

good luck with your mizunos, tina! can’t wait to hear your feedback on the inspires.
    i work at a running shoe store, so do lots of shoe fittings…there is a shoe out there for everyone. unfortunately, there is some “trial and error” in finding the shoe/brand/model that is best for YOU. can be a little $ til you get it right, but just keep trying!
    carole-oke sounds so fun!!!

jassy December 19, 2010 at 6:50 am

congrats! it’s finally done :)

MelissaNibbles December 19, 2010 at 6:55 am

Great job! I have those exact sneakers! They’re amazing. I hardly ever run, but I wear them on walks and when I’m running errands. I have fibromyalgia so it’s very important that I wear very supportive footwear and Mizuno’s have made a HUGE difference in my leg and foot pain issues. I hope they make the same difference for you.

Keri December 19, 2010 at 8:13 am

I love the mizuno wave inspires! I have had them for the past 6 pairs and they are fantastic! Congratulations on completing 20 miles…isn’t the feeling you get when you are done amazing?

Jess (A Fete For Food) December 19, 2010 at 8:40 am

I run in the wave inspires too and love them. Since my first pair, I haven’t looked back! Glad to see you found a good shoe.

Amy @ HealthyPeanut December 19, 2010 at 8:44 am

Way to go completing 20!! I love Mizuno, their the best!

Ali December 19, 2010 at 9:04 am

Congrats on the 20 miler!! I was incredibly sore after my first 20 miler, but I’m sure the walking around helped!

Rachel (tea and chocolate) December 19, 2010 at 9:17 am

Congrats on the 20 miles!

Amy December 19, 2010 at 9:32 am

I have mizunos and I love them-just bought my second pair!

Haleigh December 19, 2010 at 9:33 am

Congrats on the 20 miler! That is such an accomplishment :) You should be very proud of yourself. I hope that the new shoes take away the foot pain! xoxo

Lee @ College Foodie Finds December 19, 2010 at 9:53 am

Way to go Tina!! That is very impressive! How is your body feelin?

Kathryn December 19, 2010 at 10:22 am

Congrats on the 20 miles! I definitely believe that a pair of shoes can change how your body feels drastically. Those individuals who can tell what kind of shoe you need are truly blessed!!! Hope the new shoes work out well!

Amanda/RunningOnCoffee December 19, 2010 at 10:50 am

Way to go with your 20 mile run!! Sorry to hear you foot bugged you though, hope your next run in this new pair of shoes feels better! It’s a nice looking pair of shoes (and your legs look tan! I’m jealous)

Your breakfast looks awesome too, including the stop at DD afterward. I haven’t had home fries in… too long. I agree, that roll looks pretty frozen, not gourmet :) We are way over due on taking our greyhound to the dog park, we have just been taking her for some longer walks.

Is your running store one that offers something like – if your shoes don’t work out in the first 30 days, you can swap them for another pair? Or are stuck with two pairs of shoes now?

Abby December 19, 2010 at 11:08 am

Those Mizuno Inspire 6s are the best shoes I have ever run in! I’m sure they will be great for your feet.

Mads December 19, 2010 at 11:39 am

Congrats! I can’t even imagine 1 mile on a hurt foot…you are amazing!

Elizabeth December 19, 2010 at 11:49 am

Congrats on your 20 miler! Major accomplishment. And kudos to you for getting new shoes. When running so many miles every week the right shoes are soooooo important. I know it’s hard to break down and purchase new ones so soon after getting a new pair. Good running shoes are not cheap but we sometimes have to admit we made a mistake and shell-out the money for new shoes. They effect everything (feet, knees, hips, back, even our neck). Have you seen http://www.runblogger.com? He has great reviews on shoes, so when your current shoes break down, check out his site.

Pixie December 19, 2010 at 11:51 am

Congrats! I am so glad you were able to push through. With the tennis shoes what is the issue, lack of arch support or something similar? I recently started exercising and notice my feet cramp up about 15 minutes in. I’m starting to think it might be my shoes.

caitlin December 19, 2010 at 11:57 am

im sorry your foot still hurts!

Marian December 19, 2010 at 2:20 pm

Congrats on your first 20-mile run! If the foot pain is plantar fasciitis, it’s not the end of the world (it’s the only “injury” I’ve ever been able to run through), but you probably did well to change shoes.

Expect to feel achy after the marathon, too, and do lots of stretching and a few minutes of walking before you collapse on a bed or sofa and call it a day. So excited for you!

Pam (Holistic Health Coach) December 19, 2010 at 10:00 pm

Congrats on your 20-miler! What a huge accomplishment. Sorry your foot was still hurting, hope the new sneakers work well for you.

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday December 20, 2010 at 8:51 am

WOW, 20 miles is SO impressive :D

Way to Go!!

Katie December 20, 2010 at 8:57 am

I’m on my third pair of Mizuno Wave Inspires and they got me through marathon training and the race. I hope your foot feels better!

Brittney December 20, 2010 at 9:40 am

Catching up on blogs today. GREAT JOB on 20 miles Tina!!! I did 16 this weekend and my 20 miler is going to be on Christmas. I can’t believe you showered and were back out taking Murph to the park right after! These longer runs are wiping me out! Anyway, I’ll think of you and your accomplishment next weekend when I tackle my 20 miler.

Monica December 20, 2010 at 10:42 am

Congrats on your run! That distance is so impressive!

Sorry to hear about your foot, but I am glad to hear that you found a new pair of shoes. Hopefully they make your next run a smooth one. :)

Christie December 20, 2010 at 9:46 pm

CONGRATULATIONS on this! this is fantastic

Amanda December 21, 2010 at 6:37 pm

Congrats on the 20 miles Tina!

I have plantar fasciitis so I know how the foot pain while running can feel. It eventually goes away with the right pair of shoes and icing. I bet the new shoes will help out a lot.

Pam C December 28, 2010 at 4:33 am

Holy crap! Is this the stodderd neck park in Hingham? I recently moved to Quincy and I love bringing my little guys to this park! Wish I could go there more often, it’s my favorite park by far.