• Oh, The Places We’ve Lived…

November 10, 2010

…in the past 15 months.

Since September 2009, Mal and I have lived in four (soon-to-be five) different places. Needless to say, it’s been a crazy, stressful, and exciting 15 months, but I am SO DONE with moving. Thank goodness this is our last move for a long time!

With all of these different moves under our belts, I thought it’d be fun to reminisce about the moving madness, so here’s a little trip down memory lane.

West Squantum Street
    July 2007 – August 2009

Mal and I both loved this apartment, which was a one-bedroom with a sweet balcony (video tour here). The apartment building had a gym, cafe, laundry, parking, and it was just a short walk to the T station. We were very happy living there.

IMG_2019.JPG DSC_0002.JPG

But, the building did not allow pugs. :-?

IMG_5052.JPG

So, when Murphy came into our lives, we needed to move to a pet-friendly place.

IMG_5056.JPG

IMG_5061.JPG

For about a week, we lived “illegally” with Murphy in our apartment.

We couldn’t sneak around with a tiny puppy forever, so we packed up our stuff and found a new apartment.

IMG_6153.jpg

Unfortunately, there was a gap between our old and new leases, so Mal and I moved in with Dave and Marie for about a month at the end of the summer.

Davis Street
    August 2009 – September 2009

Dave and Marie had an extra bedroom in their apartment, so Mal, Murphy, and I lived there until it was time to move into our new apartment. Our lives felt really unsettled during this time, but living with our friends felt like a vacation at times! :-D

IMG_6158.jpg

The seven of us had a blast living together! :-D

IMG_6238.JPG IMG_6218.JPG

We went grocery shoppingspent time at the dog park with the puppies, and enjoyed “family dinner” almost every night together.

IMG_6761.JPG

F Street
    September 2009 – February 2010

After a few weeks of living at Casa de Dave & Marie, we moved to South Boston, where we lived for six months. Mal and I affectionally refer to this time in our lives as the “Southie Experiment.”

IMG_2833.JPG

We lived in a funky loft-style apartment in the heart of South Boston, but, after just a few months of living there, we knew it wasn’t for us.

IMG_8897.JPG IMG_8030.JPG

The apartment was really cool (Apartment Tour IApartment Tour II) and we had a lot of fun there, but city-living didn’t really “jive” with us.

IMG_2877.JPG DSC_0001.JPG

So, once again, we packed up our stuff and moved.

Pine Street
    February 2010 – November 2010

I really loved our Pine Street apartment. It was bigger, cheaper, and included all of the “amenities” that our previous apartment in South Boston was lacking (i.e. parking, green space, poop-free streets).

DSC_0002.JPG IMG_0010.JPG

Plus, it had a great shabby-chic feel to it! :-D

IMG_0019.JPG

The three of us were much happier here.

IMG_0209.JPG IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0091.JPG

Our plan was to live at Pine Street for a few years, but things just happened and we bought a house! Moving day is tomorrow! :mrgreen:

IMG_0037.JPG

Breakfast

My body was just starting to get used to West coast time, so waking up this morning was a little rough. But, the thought of oatmeal, iced coffee, and hanging out with my guys got me out of bed.

I made Mal and me a big pot of apple-cinnamon oatmeal. In the mix: oats, soy milk, apple chunks, lemon juice, cinnamon, nutmeg, ground flaxseed meal, and a scoop of peanut butter.

_MG_2254.JPG

_MG_2274.JPG

How many different places have you lived over the course of your life?

P.S. I’m hosting a giveaway over on Trading Up Downtown today! Check it out! :-D

Margaret H November 10, 2010 at 1:40 pm

Dang. I counted it up and I’ve lived in 26 houses/dorm rooms/apartments in as many years. I guess that’s what happens when you grow up overseas and go to boarding school for high school!

Heather November 10, 2010 at 1:48 pm

In my 32 years on earth I’ve lived in a total of 12 different spots. Within the last 7 years though I’ve bounced around between 8 of those! My favorite is my current place in AZ…hoping this one is a keeper for a while!

Lisa November 10, 2010 at 1:48 pm

TOO CUTE! Baby pug! I love that first baby picture. He looks wobbly on his feet. :)

Mellissa November 10, 2010 at 1:54 pm

I had a 3 places in 4 months stint last year after we got married, I moved out of my house, into my husbands house and then 2 months later we sold his house and bought our house. I don’t recommend that much moving!

k November 10, 2010 at 2:50 pm

Wow, I thought I had moved a lot recently! :) In the past four years I have moved five times and prior to that I moved three times. Moving is rotten though, other than potentially having a new exciting place to live in, but the packing and cleaning and unpacking sucks!
    Baby Murphy is too cute!!
    -K

Theodora November 10, 2010 at 3:00 pm

ha! Since leaving home:
    -2 different dorm rooms
    -1 apt in Chevy Chase, MD
    -1 apt in Bethesda, MD
    -3 different apartments in the same building (sigh) in Washington, DC
    -a 3-month stint with the parents in NJ
    -1 NYC Financial District apt
    -1 more NYC Financial District apt
    …but moving next month to Midtown West! I am definitely a city person ;)

Katie November 10, 2010 at 3:30 pm

I only moved once as a kid from Rochester to Corning, NY and then to PA for college. The last 2 years though..! Lewisburg, PA–>Rochester–>Ft Collins, CO house #1–> Ft Collins house #2–> Denver house sitting –> Denver stay with family–>Rochester, NY.

And in 2 days- Boston (well, Somerville) for a new job!! I’ve been reading the blog for awhile and now it’s been fun to look back and find some restaurant reviews and other Boston fun!

Ebru November 10, 2010 at 3:34 pm

I loved this post and seeing all the places you guys lived! I’m so excited for you that you’re moving into your house tomorrow, yay! Really looking forward to your new house posts :))) I’ve lived in 3 different places my whole life (I’m 25 so it’s not that long lol) I was born and raised – til age 13, in Istanbul, Turkey. Then we moved to Seattle, WA and I lived there for 8 years and I loveeeed it! In 2005 I moved to Chicago and have been living here since then. I kinda like the fact that I don’t know where I’ll be in a year from now on, so many amazing places in this world to experience. I would definitely love to live in a few more different countries :)

Angela November 10, 2010 at 3:57 pm

I’ve lived in 14 different places in my life all those in the last 10 years. The funny thing is that I stayed in one place for my whole childhood (18 years) in the same house.

Hopefully now that we’re in a house we won’t move again for a few years.

Lindsay November 10, 2010 at 4:03 pm

Wow, 5 places in 15 months? That would kill me. I’ve lived in 22 different apts/houses, but have recently settled down into my current place of 2 years. I kind of do want a new place, but I’m way too lazy to move.

Alicia November 10, 2010 at 5:06 pm

We just moved this weekend! I have moved 19 times so far in my life and lived in 11 different states. Most since I have been married. I’ve given up on settling down and now we hold onto all our boxes. I hope we stay in our current house for a few years at least–I really like it.

Alyssa November 10, 2010 at 5:13 pm

I’ve lived in 9 different places, one house was at two different times. Being only 22 that’s kind of a lot of moving, but I’ve adjusted lol. I can’t believe you’ve lived in so many places in such a small amount of time though. But at least you now have your own place to call your own for a long time! =) Congrats again!

Nicole@bodybybeer November 10, 2010 at 5:21 pm

aw, thanks for sharing baby Murphy pics.

I moved a lot when growing up, I’m very happy to have settled in one home for almost 4 years now, that’s a record. But I do know there will come a time where I will need to purchase a home too.

Lacey @ Lake Life November 10, 2010 at 5:29 pm

Love the pic of Mal being all gangsta with the dogs and the groceries. That’s hardcore ;-)

Hannah November 10, 2010 at 6:45 pm

Ohmygosh, puppy Murphy! I’m sorry, I just can’t think straight after that :P

Katie November 10, 2010 at 7:20 pm

I hate moving too! I am sick of it. Since I graduated high school, I lived in a different house each year of college (so that’s 4), then with my parents, then in my own apartment, then in a serious of hotel rooms with my boyfriend while he had training for the army, then we moved to Tennessee, then I moved back to Colorado with my parents for his deployment. Planning to move out this Spring. I can’t wait to be in one place for awhile!

Megan November 10, 2010 at 8:23 pm

I’ve lived in 20+ places in my life and I am so not close to being done. I know I have lots more moving to do. It’s not always fun but it always allows me to start fresh.

Cynthia (It All Changes) November 10, 2010 at 8:48 pm

I can’t even count the number of places. In the past 5 years I’ve lived in 5 places. I move about every 2-3 years for work. It comes with the job.

Melissa November 11, 2010 at 12:21 am

I just counted the number of times I’ve moved and if I only count the moves into the dorm each year and not back out I get 23 times over my life. That is 1 move every 1.3 years. Wow.
    We’ve been in our current place for 1.5 years and our family is already asking us when we are moving.

courtney November 11, 2010 at 12:37 am

I’m 24 and I’ve lived in 7 different states my life and from my memory about 21 different places that I called my home. wow. I am even shocked at this! pheh that is stressful thinking about..

Katie November 11, 2010 at 3:19 am

In the 11 years we have been together (married for 6 months) my husband and I have lived in 14 different places.

Of course, college helps that number drastically.

In the last 5 years we have lived in 3 different places including our move to Hong Kong.

amy November 11, 2010 at 12:48 pm

Wow, I never counted, but I’ve lived in 18 different places and I’m only 25! Most of those were after high school too, so it’s been 15 places in the last 8 years!

And not all have been local, I moved from CO to SD to NM back to CO then to MD and now DC. Phew!

Good luck with the move =)

Lindsay November 11, 2010 at 1:50 pm

This is sort of thrilling! I have wanted to post on here for so long, we LOVE your blog (the hubs and I) and this question is perfect for us. We are a military family (and before that I was (and still am) a dancer by trade, so we’ve had some fun living experiences! Here we go:
    0-18 Ohio with the parental unit
    2 dorms in college
    1 apt. on College St. Bowling green, KY with roomie
    1 apt. on College St. Bowling green, KY alone
    3 months in Civitavecchia, Italy
    4 months in Astoria, NY
    3 months in Cherokee, NC
    1 1/2 years in Ft. Collins, Co
    9 months aboard a Carnival Cruise Ship (hooray for finding my sea legs)
    and for the Hubby: he’s lived in San Diego, All OVER Iraq for 2 years and NOW:

We both have resided in Monterey, CA for 2 years. It has been a whirlwind, but honestly, I love to move! Thank goodness, bc the biggest one comes for us this June…we are moving to Seoul, Korea for the next 3 years! Eeee!
    Thanks for your wonderfully inspiring blog!

Arianna November 11, 2010 at 11:08 pm

I’ve moved back and forth between FL–>Tucson–>FL–>NY–>PA–>Phoenix–>FL–>PA all before I turned 18. And I know I’m nowhere near done! It excites me :) Congrats on your new abode!

Meagan November 12, 2010 at 4:32 am

Since I turned 18 I have lived in 4 countries, 3 states, and 9 cities. Did I mention I am only 23? So all these moves in a 5 year time period. Before 18 I moved so much that I can’t even begin to count! I’m use to moving at this point.

I loved seeing all the places you lived!

Ashley November 12, 2010 at 11:13 am

ugh in college I moved too much! It was a lot. With the purchase of a new home I feel so much better because I know I won’t be moving for a long long time!