• Five Minute Flavor

November 22, 2010

I’m all about simple recipes. I’m actually not much of a cook, so any recipe you see on this blog is easy to make! 😉

The goal for my Cookbook Challenge is to feature at least one recipe from a cookbook that I already own each week until the end of the year. If you missed last week’s cookbook, you can see a recap of the recipes here.

This week’s pick is Rocco’s 5 Minute Flavor. (Remember when I made pasta with him?!?) Rocco’s cookbook contains nearly 200 recipes “made with 5 ingredients cooked in 5 minutes at no more than 5 dollars a serving.” Now do you know why it’s one of my favorite cookbooks? 😉

Tonight, I tackled Rocco’s Garlicky Lemon Shrimp. The recipe called for shrimp, lemon juice, garlic, Parmigiano-Reggiano, breadcrumbs, olive oil, salt, and pepper. (The cookbook assumes you already have the last three ingredients in your kitchen, so they’re not counted as part of the five ingredients.)

To make the shrimp, you just combine all of the ingredients in a mixing bowl, coat the shrimp well, and bake it in the oven on 500*F until the shrimp begins to lightly brown. This recipe would actually make a great (holiday) appetizer. Just add toothpicks! 😀

So quick. So easy. So delicious! 😀

To go with the shrimp, I made two side dishes: rice pilaf (from a box) and roasted broccoli.

I’m already excited about the leftovers for tomorrow! 😉

Holy moly, Monday flew by! Let’s hope the next couple of days do the same! 😉

Lauren at KeepItSweet November 22, 2010 at 6:48 pm

that looks like a perfect weeknightt cookbook!

Lisa November 22, 2010 at 6:50 pm

That shrimp looks delicious! I love shrimp, it’s such a good, quick dinner but I have a hard time thinking of ways to cook it.

Kelly November 22, 2010 at 6:51 pm

That does look like a great weeknight cookbook, and a great recipe!

Amanda (Eating Up) November 22, 2010 at 6:51 pm

I love shrimp too, but I never buy seafood for myself!

Faith @ lovelyascharged November 22, 2010 at 6:54 pm

I’m with ya – the simpler, the better!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is November 22, 2010 at 6:56 pm

I love shrimp but we haven’t had it in so long. Need to change that!

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun November 22, 2010 at 6:57 pm

I need that cookbook. It goes perfectly with how I cook too. I think that’s one of the reasons I love your blog so much. We share cooking abilities and methods. 😀

Estela @ Weekly Bite November 22, 2010 at 6:59 pm

Looks delicious! Shrimp is a favorite in our house :)

Stephanie November 22, 2010 at 7:03 pm

Hi Tina!

First… let me just say those shrimps look scrum-dili-umptious!!! :)

Secondly… I am a fairly new reader of your blog and I was having a blast going through some of your old entries… until I got to the “You Are What You Eat” series. There were WAY too many fridge photos that I had to stop there.

Thirdly… many of the items in your shop are overpriced. I found the Garmin Forerunner for $129… the stainless steel straws (pack of FOUR) for $9.99 and I purchased a large package of chia seeds at my local grocer for less than $10.

And lastly… do you have a contact form? I actually wanted to send this to you via private e-mail rather than as a comment… but I couldn’t find a contact link!!!

Otherwise… I love your blog :)

Claire (Low Impact Fashionista) November 22, 2010 at 7:05 pm

Yum I love shrimp! One of the easiest and best tasting things ever! I eat it plain allll the time.

Haleigh November 22, 2010 at 7:06 pm

The shrimp looks delicious! For some reason, I always feel intimidated when I attempt to prepare seafood. Need to change that asap!

Tina November 22, 2010 at 7:07 pm

@Stephanie: My email address is listed on my About page as well as my FAQ page.

Heather (Heather's Dish) November 22, 2010 at 7:09 pm

that dinner couldn’t be more perfect! love shrimp and roasted broc :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) November 22, 2010 at 7:10 pm

I want tomorrow to go fast (since I am driving) and the rest of the week to go soooo slooowwww! Dinner looks great Tina!

Erin (Travel, Eat, Repeat) November 22, 2010 at 7:17 pm

I love quick meals — I have absolutely no energy for anything difficult or time-consuming when I get home from work. Fast, healthy, cheap.

Liz @ BLog is the New Black November 22, 2010 at 7:19 pm

I love all of RS’s recipes!

Krystina November 22, 2010 at 7:25 pm

Those look tasty! Good job. 😀

Heather November 22, 2010 at 7:34 pm

This looks like a great and simple recipe – lemon and garlic are two of my faves.

Enjoy the rest of your evening!

Hannah November 22, 2010 at 7:44 pm

That looks so heavenly! And for some reason it’s reminded me of one of my favourite shrimp recipes, which is also quick, and involves beer… 😀

Michelle (The Runner's Plate) November 22, 2010 at 7:52 pm

What a great cookbook. I wish more people would cook at home because it doesn’t have to be difficult or take a long time!

Lynn (The Actors Diet) November 22, 2010 at 8:07 pm

i miss rice pilaf from the box – one of the only things i cooked growing up

grocery goddess jen November 22, 2010 at 8:08 pm

That shrimp looks lovely and crunchy.

Katherine November 22, 2010 at 8:34 pm

Yum! That looks good! I love little shrimpies.

Megan T. November 22, 2010 at 8:42 pm

Thanks for the pingback!

Is this not one of the simplest and tastiest shrimp recipes ever? I love adding a little lemon zest as soon as they come out of the oven for an extra flavor kick.

Angela (the diet book junkie) November 22, 2010 at 8:44 pm

whenever i see Rocco, i’m reminded i miss “The Restaurant”. sigh…whatever happened to that show??

Lacey @ Lake Life November 22, 2010 at 9:00 pm

I wish Rocco would come to my house and make this for me, he is so yummy :-)

Jamie November 22, 2010 at 9:02 pm

5 ingredients, 5 minutes, and $5? I need to invest in this book!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss November 22, 2010 at 9:16 pm

Those look amazing! I love crispy shrimp..somehow restaurants always seem to do it perfectly. This looks like it came from a restaurant, so that’s good! Even better that it’s so simple.

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic November 22, 2010 at 9:31 pm

I haven’t baked shrimp with breadcrumbs, and now I can’t wait to try it for dinner one of these days! This recipe is so simple yet sounds so tasty, thanks for sharing! Oh and I would totally pair shrimp with roasted broc too – that’s my fave!

notyet100 November 22, 2010 at 9:31 pm

platter looks so appealing

the blissful baker November 23, 2010 at 12:27 am

yum, what a great simple recipe for shrimp!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin November 23, 2010 at 8:47 am

That cookbook sounds so perfect! It’s always so frustrating when recipes call for a million obscure ingredients. 😛

CaSaundra November 23, 2010 at 9:10 am

Even though I like to cook alot, that cookbook sounds like one that everyone could use in their kitchen to save time and money!!

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday November 23, 2010 at 9:11 am

I like the idea of cooking with few ingredients. It keeps recipes simple, inexpensive, and focussed on the flavours of the food.

(Not that I don’t appreciate a good Indian dish with numerous spices, mind you)

I just don’t get the “5 ingredient” hype. Why is it always 5? Why not 4, or 6?

Amber K November 23, 2010 at 10:59 am

I hate it when cookbooks assume that you have things. Let’s not ass’u’me people! 😉

Ali November 23, 2010 at 12:58 pm

Yumm, I love shrimp and this recipe looks amazing!!

Jennifer@keepitsimplefoods November 23, 2010 at 1:34 pm

Rocco is so hot.

Heather November 23, 2010 at 2:50 pm

I want that cookbook! That sounds like something I’d love, so easy! I’m definitely making that shrimp sometime this weekend.