• Five Minute Flavor

November 22, 2010

I’m all about simple recipes. I’m actually not much of a cook, so any recipe you see on this blog is easy to make! ;-)

The goal for my Cookbook Challenge is to feature at least one recipe from a cookbook that I already own each week until the end of the year. If you missed last week’s cookbook, you can see a recap of the recipes here.

This week’s pick is Rocco’s 5 Minute Flavor. (Remember when I made pasta with him?!?) Rocco’s cookbook contains nearly 200 recipes “made with 5 ingredients cooked in 5 minutes at no more than 5 dollars a serving.” Now do you know why it’s one of my favorite cookbooks? ;-)

_MG_3502.JPG

Tonight, I tackled Rocco’s Garlicky Lemon Shrimp. The recipe called for shrimp, lemon juice, garlic, Parmigiano-Reggiano, breadcrumbs, olive oil, salt, and pepper. (The cookbook assumes you already have the last three ingredients in your kitchen, so they’re not counted as part of the five ingredients.)

IMG_3529.JPG

To make the shrimp, you just combine all of the ingredients in a mixing bowl, coat the shrimp well, and bake it in the oven on 500*F until the shrimp begins to lightly brown. This recipe would actually make a great (holiday) appetizer. Just add toothpicks! :-D

IMG_0001.JPG

So quick. So easy. So delicious! :-D

IMG_0003.JPG

To go with the shrimp, I made two side dishes: rice pilaf (from a box) and roasted broccoli.

IMG_0010.JPG

IMG_0025.JPG

I’m already excited about the leftovers for tomorrow! ;-)

IMG_0028.JPG

Holy moly, Monday flew by! Let’s hope the next couple of days do the same! ;-)

Lauren at KeepItSweet November 22, 2010 at 6:48 pm

that looks like a perfect weeknightt cookbook!

Lisa November 22, 2010 at 6:50 pm

That shrimp looks delicious! I love shrimp, it’s such a good, quick dinner but I have a hard time thinking of ways to cook it.

Kelly November 22, 2010 at 6:51 pm

That does look like a great weeknight cookbook, and a great recipe!

Amanda (Eating Up) November 22, 2010 at 6:51 pm

I love shrimp too, but I never buy seafood for myself!

Faith @ lovelyascharged November 22, 2010 at 6:54 pm

I’m with ya – the simpler, the better!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is November 22, 2010 at 6:56 pm

I love shrimp but we haven’t had it in so long. Need to change that!

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun November 22, 2010 at 6:57 pm

I need that cookbook. It goes perfectly with how I cook too. I think that’s one of the reasons I love your blog so much. We share cooking abilities and methods. :D

Estela @ Weekly Bite November 22, 2010 at 6:59 pm

Looks delicious! Shrimp is a favorite in our house :)

Stephanie November 22, 2010 at 7:03 pm

Hi Tina!

First… let me just say those shrimps look scrum-dili-umptious!!! :)

Secondly… I am a fairly new reader of your blog and I was having a blast going through some of your old entries… until I got to the “You Are What You Eat” series. There were WAY too many fridge photos that I had to stop there.

Thirdly… many of the items in your shop are overpriced. I found the Garmin Forerunner for $129… the stainless steel straws (pack of FOUR) for $9.99 and I purchased a large package of chia seeds at my local grocer for less than $10.

And lastly… do you have a contact form? I actually wanted to send this to you via private e-mail rather than as a comment… but I couldn’t find a contact link!!!

Otherwise… I love your blog :)

Claire (Low Impact Fashionista) November 22, 2010 at 7:05 pm

Yum I love shrimp! One of the easiest and best tasting things ever! I eat it plain allll the time.

Haleigh November 22, 2010 at 7:06 pm

The shrimp looks delicious! For some reason, I always feel intimidated when I attempt to prepare seafood. Need to change that asap!

Tina November 22, 2010 at 7:07 pm

@Stephanie: My email address is listed on my About page as well as my FAQ page.

Heather (Heather's Dish) November 22, 2010 at 7:09 pm

that dinner couldn’t be more perfect! love shrimp and roasted broc :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) November 22, 2010 at 7:10 pm

I want tomorrow to go fast (since I am driving) and the rest of the week to go soooo slooowwww! Dinner looks great Tina!

Erin (Travel, Eat, Repeat) November 22, 2010 at 7:17 pm

I love quick meals — I have absolutely no energy for anything difficult or time-consuming when I get home from work. Fast, healthy, cheap.

Liz @ BLog is the New Black November 22, 2010 at 7:19 pm

I love all of RS’s recipes!

Krystina November 22, 2010 at 7:25 pm

Those look tasty! Good job. :D

Heather November 22, 2010 at 7:34 pm

This looks like a great and simple recipe – lemon and garlic are two of my faves.

Enjoy the rest of your evening!

Hannah November 22, 2010 at 7:44 pm

That looks so heavenly! And for some reason it’s reminded me of one of my favourite shrimp recipes, which is also quick, and involves beer… :D

Michelle (The Runner's Plate) November 22, 2010 at 7:52 pm

What a great cookbook. I wish more people would cook at home because it doesn’t have to be difficult or take a long time!

Lynn (The Actors Diet) November 22, 2010 at 8:07 pm

i miss rice pilaf from the box – one of the only things i cooked growing up

grocery goddess jen November 22, 2010 at 8:08 pm

That shrimp looks lovely and crunchy.

Katherine November 22, 2010 at 8:34 pm

Yum! That looks good! I love little shrimpies.

Megan T. November 22, 2010 at 8:42 pm

Thanks for the pingback!

Is this not one of the simplest and tastiest shrimp recipes ever? I love adding a little lemon zest as soon as they come out of the oven for an extra flavor kick.

Angela (the diet book junkie) November 22, 2010 at 8:44 pm

whenever i see Rocco, i’m reminded i miss “The Restaurant”. sigh…whatever happened to that show??

Lacey @ Lake Life November 22, 2010 at 9:00 pm

I wish Rocco would come to my house and make this for me, he is so yummy :-)

Jamie November 22, 2010 at 9:02 pm

5 ingredients, 5 minutes, and $5? I need to invest in this book!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss November 22, 2010 at 9:16 pm

Those look amazing! I love crispy shrimp..somehow restaurants always seem to do it perfectly. This looks like it came from a restaurant, so that’s good! Even better that it’s so simple.

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic November 22, 2010 at 9:31 pm

I haven’t baked shrimp with breadcrumbs, and now I can’t wait to try it for dinner one of these days! This recipe is so simple yet sounds so tasty, thanks for sharing! Oh and I would totally pair shrimp with roasted broc too – that’s my fave!

notyet100 November 22, 2010 at 9:31 pm

platter looks so appealing

the blissful baker November 23, 2010 at 12:27 am

yum, what a great simple recipe for shrimp!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin November 23, 2010 at 8:47 am

That cookbook sounds so perfect! It’s always so frustrating when recipes call for a million obscure ingredients. :P

CaSaundra November 23, 2010 at 9:10 am

Even though I like to cook alot, that cookbook sounds like one that everyone could use in their kitchen to save time and money!!

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday November 23, 2010 at 9:11 am

I like the idea of cooking with few ingredients. It keeps recipes simple, inexpensive, and focussed on the flavours of the food.

(Not that I don’t appreciate a good Indian dish with numerous spices, mind you)

I just don’t get the “5 ingredient” hype. Why is it always 5? Why not 4, or 6?

Amber K November 23, 2010 at 10:59 am

I hate it when cookbooks assume that you have things. Let’s not ass’u’me people! ;)

Ali November 23, 2010 at 12:58 pm

Yumm, I love shrimp and this recipe looks amazing!!

Jennifer@keepitsimplefoods November 23, 2010 at 1:34 pm

Rocco is so hot.

Heather November 23, 2010 at 2:50 pm

I want that cookbook! That sounds like something I’d love, so easy! I’m definitely making that shrimp sometime this weekend.