• Rainy Repeat

October 1, 2010

Hello from Newport! :mrgreen:

I’m so, so, so excited to be here (it’s my favorite weekend of the whole year!), but the rainy, gray weather is a wicked bummer. It’s a repeat of last year. Wahhhh. :-?

_MG_8700.JPG

Let’s hope the icky weather clears up soon!

_MG_8707.JPG

Mal and I arrived in Newport just in time for happy hour! ;-)

We kicked-off our weekend by sitting on the porch, staring out into the ocean, and enjoying a couple of beers and a box of Vermont White Cheddar Wheat Thins. Man, it was a delicious happy hour!

_MG_8704.JPG

Mal and I hung out and chatted for a few hours before wandering down Thames Street to find a place to eat dinner. Eventually, we decided on the Gas Lamp Grille.

IMG_0001.JPG

The Gas Lamp Grille had a wonderful and cozy atmosphere, but the menu was just so-s0. I ended up ordering the French Onion Soup, which was good, but not great. Of course, I loved the cheese, but it wasn’t anything special.

IMG_0002.JPG

Mal and I have a 9-mile run planned for the morning, so we’re heading to bed very soon.

Enjoy your Friday night! :-D

Estela @ Weekly Bite October 1, 2010 at 8:49 pm

Have a great run in morning :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) October 1, 2010 at 8:52 pm

Enjoy your trip! I hope the weather improves for you!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is October 1, 2010 at 8:54 pm

I always only eat the cheese on french onion soup.

Cynthia (It All Changes) October 1, 2010 at 8:54 pm

I hear the rain is supposed to go away for the weekend. I hope that’s true for Newport too so you can enjoy the run and your weekend!

Midgetkeeper October 1, 2010 at 8:55 pm

You’re in my neighborhood! Love Newport, are you guys going to Tasted of Rhode Island? So fun!

Tina October 1, 2010 at 9:00 pm

Bummer on the weather! I hope things start getting better. Either way, I’m sure you will have a great time.

holly @ couchpotatoathlete October 1, 2010 at 9:06 pm

I hope the weather clears up for your 10 mile tomorrow!

Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life October 1, 2010 at 9:10 pm

What did you think of that pumpkin beer? I just tried that kind a couple weeks ago and really didn’t care too much for it…and it’s rare that I find something pumpkin that I DON’T like!

stacey-healthylife October 1, 2010 at 9:12 pm

I love the happy hour.

Erin October 1, 2010 at 9:17 pm

I love a cup of soup when it’s raining. Even mediocre soup tastes better as long as it’s hot and the weather outside if chilly and blustery.

Mary @ Bites and Bliss October 1, 2010 at 9:36 pm

Hope the weather brightens up for you :) Have a fun run tomorrow!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey October 1, 2010 at 9:46 pm

What a fun trip! Have a great weekend – enjoy your long run!

deb October 1, 2010 at 10:02 pm

a rainy day in Newport is still a really god day in Newport!

The Wife of a Dairyman October 1, 2010 at 10:15 pm

Rain or shine, sounds like a fun trip either way:) Hope it doesn’t rain for your run in the a.m. though! Have a great time!

Hannah October 1, 2010 at 10:16 pm

Rain is lovely… when I’m inside with chocolate and coffee and don’t have to venture into it. It looks pretty though!

Erika @ Food, Fitness, & Fun October 1, 2010 at 10:52 pm

Hope you make the best of Newport even with the less than perfect weather! Good luck with the 9 mile run tomorrow! :-)

Samantha @ Bikini Birthday October 1, 2010 at 11:00 pm

Bummer. When French Onion Soup is good, it’s GOOD. Too bad this one didn’t impress.

Michelle (The Runner's Plate) October 2, 2010 at 1:37 am

Soup on a rainy day sounds perfect! I hope you have a wonderful trip–and the rain clears up. :)

Jodea - chillichocolatelover October 2, 2010 at 3:09 am

Snap with the rain and the miles! I am doing my first nine miler today ready for a 10 mile charity run on the 24th of October. It rained ALL day yesterday here in the UK, but seems to be holding off this morning… Good luck and enjoy your mini break :) I am off to an Apple Festival after my run, so think some cider will be in order! Oh, and pb and banana toasted sandwich is my must-have pre-run breakfast, too! I also add cherry jam (jelly). Mmm mmm!

Tessa October 2, 2010 at 7:35 am

I am on my way to Newport today too!! I hear the weather is not going to be good :( boo. Enjoy the run.. make me feel guilty!

Ramona October 2, 2010 at 7:56 am

I had that same pumpkin beer with dinner last night. I didn’t love it. The aftertaste was good, but the initial taste was weird. I’m anxious to try another brand. The thought of pumpkin + beer excites me.

Sarah (Running To Slow Things Down) October 2, 2010 at 8:23 am

Good luck with the 9-mile run this morning! At least the rain has finally cleared up for good running weather. :D

Courtney@foodnfashionlife.wordpress.com October 2, 2010 at 8:49 am

Hopefully running in new surroundings will take your mind off of the fact that you’re running 9 miles!

Mary at 2nd beach October 2, 2010 at 9:33 am

Have dinner plans yet? Fluke is pretty good, Diego’s for a cheaper option.

Ashley October 2, 2010 at 9:49 am

Oh sorry about the rain! Hope it gets better and you have a great time! Check out my recipe for ICED PUMPKIN OATMEAL RAISIN COOKIES when you get back!

Jessica@tastyandtrim October 2, 2010 at 12:14 pm

I hope you have a great run! Edy’s now has their pumpkin ice cream on their website. Here’s the link just in case you haven’t been able to find it yet. http://edys.com/brand/funflavors/flavor.asp?b=1421&f=2769 That way you’ll know what to look for :) I always have the hardest time finding new products people tell me about when I don’t know what they look like!

Gina October 2, 2010 at 1:05 pm

Looks like you having a great weekend. Enjoy the weekend.

Natalia - a side of simple October 2, 2010 at 4:28 pm

I can’t believe you’re in Newport! I live here, just minutes walking distance from the Gas Lamp Grille!!! Gah this is so awesome!

Danielle October 2, 2010 at 5:21 pm

Have a great mini-vacation! It’s always fun to get away for the weekend.

sp October 2, 2010 at 10:41 pm

So glad you added more blog before the “read full post” portion! I missed you CNC, I am a looooong time reader and gave up on the blog after the re-design, b/c it took forever to load. Thank you for chaning! Im glad to be back.

Halley (Blunder Consruction) October 3, 2010 at 9:49 am

Mmmm… Magic Hat’s Ourtoberfest is soo perfect! Rain, rain, go away!

RunningOnCoffee October 4, 2010 at 2:31 pm

Yum, I like Shipyard Pumpkin ale! Had one when we went out to dinner last weekend. I feel like the pumpkin ales have taken over the beer section of my local grocery store’s liquor store.