• Workaholic Pug

September 13, 2010

During the day, this is how I work at my laptop:

IMG_0012.JPG

A good 75% of my day includes typing around a 29-pound pug that is sitting on my lap.

When Mal got home from school today, he experienced working around with the pug on his lap.

IMG_0005.JPG

You might be surprised to hear that Murphy is quite the workaholic. He sat on my lap for most of the morning and then planted his big ol’ butt on Mal’s lap all afternoon.

Murphy also takes his work very seriously. Apparently, he didn’t want me screwing around interrupting his hard work by snapping photos of him.

IMG_0007.JPG

I have no idea why he’s making that face! :lol:

IMG_0008.JPG

Dinner

For dinner tonight, I cooked fish. You read that right. I cooked cod all by myself! :-D Can you believe I’ve never cooked fish?! Well, ok, I’ve cooked shrimp and scallops, but never a “fillet” of fish, like cod, haddock, salmon, etc.

To be honest, the thought of cooking fish always intimidated me. I have no idea why, but fish just wasn’t something that I wanted to try to cook and then mess up. But, when it comes to Real Simple recipes, I have a lot of cooking confidence. So, when I stumbled upon this recipe for Soy-Glazed Fish, I knew that I could make it– without screwing it up! Seriously, this recipe was so simple! Here’s what to do:

First, turn on the broiler. Then, in a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, soy sauce, and ginger and set it aside.

IMG_0001.JPG

Then, place the fish on a foil-lined broilerproof rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle it with 1 teaspoon of the oil and season with ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper.

IMG_0005.JPG

Broil the fish until it is opaque throughout, 5 to 7 minutes, basting with the soy mixture twice during the last 2 minutes of cooking.

IMG_0007.JPG

It was so easy. Really. And the fish turned out great!

IMG_0009.JPG

On the side, I had roasted broccoli and zucchini.

IMG_0014.JPG

The best part about this meal (beside the taste) was how little time it took to cook. From start to finish, it took less than 20 minutes. How’s that for “fast food”? ;-)

IMG_0011.JPG

Dessert

For dessert, I made a batch of my mom’s apple crisp. (I couldn’t get it out of my mind after mentioning it this morning!) This recipe is THE BEST and it’s also super easy to make. I highly recommend it! :-D

IMG_0006.JPG

Quick tip: Apples from the “reduced produce” section of the grocery store are perfect for this recipe. You can just cut off the bad/bruised parts and save yourself a few bucks!

IMG_0018.JPG

Enjoy the evening, folks!

BLOG BAKE SALE IN THE MORNING! GET READY!!! :mrgreen:

Ryan M. September 14, 2010 at 9:01 am

Awww…Murphy. I like the one with his tongue out! I am a sucker for smooshy faced dogs, how I ended up with 3 long nose dachshunds is a wonder to me!

Teri [a foodie stays fit] September 14, 2010 at 9:05 am

hahaha. Murphy is SO funny. My dog tries to sit on my lap while I work at the computer too. But since she’s a 55-pound boxer, it doesn’t exactly work. :)

Murphy really does look mad that you are interrupting his work by taking pictures. bahahaha!

Lauren @ Running Examiner September 14, 2010 at 9:54 am

Murphy might be one of the cutest dogs I’ve ever seen. He loves his parents!

My little doggy (not so little, actually–he weighs 50 pounds) is convinced he’s a lap dog. He’s constantly sitting in my lap or my boyfriend’s lap when we’re typing. He’s a hound/pit bull terrier mix, but I truly believe he sees himself as a yorkie.

Emily @ Run Emily Run September 14, 2010 at 10:23 am

Murphy is such a pouty dog. It’s really hilarious.

Megan (Braise The Roof) September 14, 2010 at 10:33 am

I’ve been getting so excited to make apple crisp- can’t wait to go apple picking! :)

Sara September 14, 2010 at 10:49 am

Fish is one of my favorite things to cook! I love making foil pouches and steaming the fish in the oven – super easy. Choose a fillet you like(cod works, so does salmon) and lay on a piece of foil, top with salt, pepper, herbs of choice, sliced onion and sliced lemon. Drizzle with olive oil and add a splash of white wine. Fold up foil to make a little packet that’s sealed to keep in the juices, and cook in a 375 degree oven about 10 minutes per inch of fish, or until the fish is flaky and opaque.

Caitlin (EatFeats) September 14, 2010 at 12:32 pm

I’ve never cooked fish, either!

Wendy (Give Love Create Happiness) September 14, 2010 at 1:58 pm

Now all I can picture in my head is you working with Murphy in your lap while I work with my 27lb daughter in mine. Too cute! :)

Chicago Cuisine Critique September 14, 2010 at 2:14 pm

Murphy is too cute. And..your dinner/dessert look yummy.

Allison K September 14, 2010 at 3:30 pm

Our grocery store doesn’t havea “reduced” produce section. Now, they do have a reduced bakery section and I have to force myself away from that!

Lu September 14, 2010 at 5:29 pm

That looks amazing! The least intimidating method I’ve found for cooking fish is to make it in a “bag”. Take a 12 x 8 piece of parchment paper, place about a cup of spinach and other veggies on it, season the veggies with your favorite seasonings and a drizzle of oil, place a piece of frozen fish (or fresh) on the veggies, season a little bit more and wrap up the fish with the parchment paper. Put it in the oven at 400 degrees for about 15 – 20 minutes if frozen, 10 – 12 if fresh. Put the whole package on a plate, rip open (carefully…steam!) and enjoy. You can put the same glaze you used on the fish before wrapping it all up.

LC @ Let Them Eat Lentils September 14, 2010 at 6:52 pm

I have never been a huge pug fan, but all your pictures of Murphy have totally changed my mind. I just want to squeeze him.

Simple white fish like Halibut is so simple to cook! Just bake in the oven with lemon, capers, and butter. I totally understand your fear though – I used to feel that way myself.

Kara @ MyWellnest September 14, 2010 at 7:59 pm

That’s so funny about Murphy because our male pug is the same way. I finally just let him lay on the desk when I was working!

Marie September 16, 2010 at 6:48 pm

Wow, I just made your Apple Crisp. I don’t even like Apple Pie or baked fruit, for that matter. I made it for my husband who can’t stop raving over it—in between bites and moans. I had a bite myself and couldn’t stop! Seriously…so good! Thanks for sharing!

Danielle September 18, 2010 at 8:36 pm

Those pictures of Murphy seriously made me laugh out loud!

Oprah Winfrey Network September 24, 2010 at 8:17 pm

OPRAH WINFREY NETWORK: “Do Your Kids Have a Workahloic Parent?”

Do you or your spouse work way too much?
    Are your children always complaining that you or your spouse are never home or available?
    Are your kids not getting what they need? Is the guilt becoming too much?

OWN: The Oprah Winfrey Network is looking for families in the Los Angeles area with children up to the age of 17 to take part in a new television show about working parents trying to manage their busy lives. We are interested in talking to people who find it a challenge to maintain a healthy balance between their family and work lives. If this describes your family, please contact us right away.

To tell us your story, please visit:

Ashley Z March 16, 2011 at 2:45 pm

Just found your blog and I love it. We have a pug too and he would sit in my lap all day long if I would let him : )