• TNT Training Run: 5 Miles

August 28, 2010

Even though I was out of town, Mal still participated to our TNT run with our team in South Boston this morning. There was a clinic about apparel and footwear prior to the run, so Mal provides a recap of his run as well as what he learned at the clinic.

Saturday’s team run: 5 miles (35:56/7:21 pace). Good run today. I ate a peanut butter and banana sandwich again this morning and felt great.  I think that is going to be my go-to meal before my long runs. I also drank 1/2 of my usual amount of coffee.

Before our run today, we had a great clinic on apparel and footwear.  Billy at the South Boston Running Emporium is so knowledgeable about distance running and biking.  He and Christina, our TNT coach, had tons of great advice.

In terms of apparel, they said to avoid cotton like the plague.  All of your gear should be synthetic, and as Billy said, “come straight out of a barrel of oil.”  Apparently, that is how all that wicking gear works. Water and oil don’t mix so the water evaporates rather than sticking to your clothes and then causing chaffing.

Because we are starting our training in the summer and ending in the winter, Christina and Billy talked about the importance of layering. They said to adhere to the “25 degree rule.” Take the outside temp and add 25 degrees. Because your body heats up as you run, this is the temperature you should dress for. Christina and Billy both suggested that when it is really cold all you really need is a bottom layer, an over layer, and a jacket. Since we are going to do most of our training in the fall, we’ll probably only need a bottom layer and over layer. As for the bottom half, good spandex and shorts or just spandex work well in colder weather.  When we get to Honolulu it is going to be hot and sunny. They stressed the importance of heavy duty sunscreen and the use of a hat.  Because we live in the Northeast, by December we’ll be pasty white and the last thing we want the next day after our marathon is to be sore and sunburned!

Chaffing was another topic of conversation. They talked about Glide and how to use it, but also suggested zinc oxide (the compound that life guards put on their nose). Billy said that if Glide doesn’t work for you, zinc oxide will put an end to your chaffing. Apparently, cyclists have used this trick forever to avoid saddle sores.

Billy also discussed compression gear. These tight fitting clothes do wonders when spending long hours traveling in a plane or car. Christina also suggested getting up every 45 minutes or so and walking around as a way to keep your muscles loose. She talked about drinking lots of water (not soda, coffee, or tea) while flying as being in a pressurized cabin tends to dehydrate you.

As for post run routines they discussed stretching, foam rollers, and common running soreness and injuries (IT bands). Billy also suggested to avoid hot showers immediately after a long run. They both agreed that colder showers are better for your muscles. You should not get home and immediately hop in the shower. They said to take your time to stretch, use a foam roller, ice if you need to (a great icing tip is to fill dixie cups with water and freeze them then you can peel the paper away from the ice piece by piece and giving you something to hold on to) eat, and then shower.

Finally, I had Billy check out my stride to be fitted for shoes.  He was incredibly thorough and really tried to match a shoe to my individual stride. Rather than looking at my stride and then suggesting a running shoe that is good for everyone, he really tried to match me to the right shoe for me. After looking at me, he told me that I have high arches and a mild-late stage pronation, or in lemans terms, a slight roll right before I lift my toes off the ground. He suggest two shoes, the Mizuno Wave Inspire or the Brooks Ravenna. He said both would give me the support I need without going overkill on stiffness. People with high arches tend to need more flexible shoes, so both these options allow me the freedom I need but at the same time give me the stability that is necessary to make my long runs comfortable.

Dynamics August 28, 2010 at 3:32 pm

I am not a runner but I go to a running store to be fit for shoes. They truly know what they are doing. I have not had any problems with my heels since visiting a running store and being fitted for shoes.

Sana August 28, 2010 at 3:34 pm

I love getting fitted for shoes at road runner sports it makes all the difference!!!

Kelly August 28, 2010 at 3:37 pm

I had never heard that 25 degree rule before, that’s a good one that I will definitely remember!

caitlin August 28, 2010 at 3:39 pm

Mal – you are so fast! I really am proud of you and Tina for doing TNT together and wish you the best!

Melissa R. August 28, 2010 at 3:45 pm

Great job today! I have used the 25 degree rule, too, for many years. So true but hard to imagine when you start out a run in the winter.
    I’ve run Honolulu twice and it’s a huge, amazing marathon–and very warm! You’ll have a great time.

Sarah L August 28, 2010 at 4:10 pm

Awesome tip about the 25 degrees… I haven’t heard that one, but it really makes sense. I totally agree about technical fabric vs. cotton! We found another material last year that is all natural and awesome for endurance athletes… it’s made out of New Zealand wool and the brand we like the most is Icebreaker. Their website is: http://www.icebreaker.com. We live in TX and the shirts we own have been great through the summer heat!

allie August 28, 2010 at 4:11 pm

the 25 dregree rule is a great one. i am a boston runner as well and it’s so hard to believe when it’s so freezing out that you will warm up (although the wind really gets you). great info- thanks!!

Caroline August 28, 2010 at 4:13 pm

Speedy run!

I have to say though…I think technical running wear is really overrated. You do not need all your clothing to be synthetic…I run 55 miles a week in cotton T shirts and rarely have chafing issues. If you want to buy technical wear, fine, but I just can’t afford it for all of my running gear and I think TNT doesn’t need to advocate them so firmly…I think most of us should save our money, and the elites, well, they get them for free!

Heather ODonnell August 28, 2010 at 4:22 pm

I have the same foot issue and I LOVE my Brooks Ravennas!!

Kat August 28, 2010 at 4:23 pm

A. I run with an Express camisole layered over my sports bras and have no chafing issues with that. I think you just need to find gear where the seams fall in the right places for where things could be rubbing together.

B. I just started wearing the Brooks Ravenna about a month ago and just finished my first half-marathon with them. They’re wonder-shoes and literally have changed my life. Highly recommend.

Rachael August 28, 2010 at 4:44 pm

I wonder if they can find an appropriate technology for running gear that doesn’t involve oil..I kind of cringe at the thought of barrels of oil going into my clothes and shoes, since I try to cut my fossil fuel consumption as part of my lifestyle. Are there any slightly more earth-friendly options that anyone has heard of?

Becky August 28, 2010 at 5:10 pm

So speedy!! Sounds like your training is off to a wonderful start!! I have run in Mizuno Wave Inspires for probably almost 10 years and love them – but Mizunos do tend to run a little narrower (at least in the women’s models – I haven’t tried the men’s) than all other shoe brands I’ve tried (I work in a running store and have compared others to see if I like them, but always go back to the Inspires). Personally I’d recommend trying both on to see what is more comfortable, but if you’re planning to order online I would lean towards Mizunos if you have narrower feet (or “lower volume”, e.g. you never have problems getting into loafers or shoes w/out laces feet) and toward the Brooks if you have wider and/or “higher volume” (e.g. you have trouble getting your feet into many shoes w/out laces) feet. Good luck!!!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss August 28, 2010 at 5:31 pm

Awesome training, Mal!! PB&B sandwiches are the best for pre-run fuel. Good carbs and a little healthy fat :) And not to mention the awesome taste! haha

Caitlin August 28, 2010 at 5:45 pm

Mal is quick! We used to use body glide and vaseline for swimming chafes, but I’ve never heard of zinc before! We also used duct tape when issues became really severe.

Wendy (Give Love Create Happiness) August 28, 2010 at 6:05 pm

good post Mal!

Staceyhttp://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ August 28, 2010 at 6:30 pm

That’s some great advice, thanks for sharing Mal.

holly @ couchpotatoathlete August 28, 2010 at 6:40 pm

Mal you run so quickly! I wish I was even close to that time. Its nice to have a Mal post now and then — although I still think there needs to be some Murphy posts. The caption to every pic would have to be “ruff” :)

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin August 28, 2010 at 6:57 pm

I’d never heard of the 25 degree rule before. Thanks for the tip!!

Sarah August 28, 2010 at 7:14 pm

If you haven’t chosen shoes yet, I REALLY like my Brooks!

Heather August 28, 2010 at 7:44 pm

so freaking fast! I didnt know about not getting in the hot shower after a run. I can’t do ice baths though!

Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat August 28, 2010 at 7:47 pm

Awesome run Mal!! Thanks for sharing all this TNT learning with us–I’ll definitely have to remember to try zinc oxide next time something rubs me the wrong way.

Kelly August 28, 2010 at 8:05 pm

Mal, thanks for all the awesome information! I find the 25 degree rule so hard because I hate being cold at the beginning of my run. Makes sense though!

Wei-Wei August 28, 2010 at 8:52 pm

What an amazing run, Mal! I guess you already know how ridiculously fast you are ;) This is a very well written post, by the way.

Hannah August 28, 2010 at 11:37 pm

As someone who’s never been a runner, this is fascinating. There’s so much involved!

christina @ Sisters Running the Kitchen August 29, 2010 at 3:58 pm

hey tina! i think its great that you and mal decided to join TNT. very cool all the new info that you learn from the team runs. definitely a good thing to have an informative and supportive group to belong to. i was wondering if they talked about pacing yet. i am training for my 2nd marathon (first was last year) and for my first marathon i sorta just went out there and tried my hardest on each and every run but over the past year i did some reading that slowing down for your runs (especially long runs) will make you faster. sounds crazy, i know. but my sister tried it this year for boston marathon and kicked ass. and now i too am trying it. something to do with more glycogen being able to be stored in muscles… plus other complicated stuff. haha but im loving it- i devote one day a week to “speed training” and the rest of my runs are anywhere from 40s to a minute slower than my goal marathon pace. it makes running enjoyable and helps you not to get burned out. just thought id share this info with you…

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday August 29, 2010 at 8:31 pm

Mal, you’re so speedy! Awesome :D

Tania August 30, 2010 at 5:44 pm

Having done tris in Florida, I’d suggest a visor as opposed to a hat. Lets your body ventilate heat, yet keeps the sun off your face.