• How Blogging Became My Job

August 3, 2010

Good morning! 8-)

Somehow, I slept in until 8:00 this morning. :-? I actually don’t like sleeping the morning away because I get so much more accomplished in the early hours when my husband and pug are not bothering me sleeping. I guess I should embrace the extra sleep hours because when I leave for New York City tomorrow, I’m not going to sleep at all. Blog trips are so much fun, but I hardly sleep on them because any free time I have is devoted to blogging.

Breakfast

Last night, I had sweet dreams of donut muffins running through my head, so I paired a couple of them with my iced coffee this morning. So delicious! :-D

_MG_5353.JPG

A little while later, I made myself a bowl of plain Greek yogurt with Flax Plus Pumpkin Granola Cereal that Nature’s Pride sent me to sample.

_MG_5364.JPG

The Flax Plus Pumpkin Granola Cereal is GOOD! After I finished eating my yogurt, I ended up munching on a few handfuls straight from the box.

_MG_5380.JPG

Calculated Decisions

In the past few weeks, I’ve received a number of emails asking me for advice with regard to careers and blogging. As you probably know, I quit my fancy-schmancy, full-time job at Harvard to blog for a living. But, resigning from my job didn’t happen overnight. It took months and months of planning and calculated decisions, which I explain in this post. Basically, I made a list of what was important to me and then came up with game plan to achieve my goal.

If you have questions once you read these various blog posts, feel free to ask them in the comment section. I’ll do a follow-up post this afternoon.

Have you ever quit a job? If so, what happened?

P.S. Did you know it’s National Sandwich Month? Check out my Red Onion Sandwich recipe on Iateapie.net. Trust me, it’s a good one! :mrgreen:

Anita August 3, 2010 at 11:06 am

I quit my retail job of 10 years to focus more on finishing my BS in nutrition. I cried all summer long before I quit that August. Even though I had spent the last two years saving so I could quit it was still extremely scary. However, it was one of the best decisions I had ever made.
    Now I am working on creating a path in my career where I can quit my current job and start my own consulting company. The thought terrifies me because I too grew up poor and feel secure with an 8 to 5 job. But I know that I am destined for greater things.

Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) August 3, 2010 at 11:07 am

That pumpkin cereal looks delicious!! I wish cereal was more filling….I could eat many many bowls of it!!

Wei-Wei August 3, 2010 at 11:12 am

I saw your recipe on Iateapie! It was greets and very you. I’m happy that you made blogging your job, that means I can read your writing everyday!

Wei Wei

Gavi @ GaviGetsGoing! August 3, 2010 at 11:13 am

I’ve never quit a job, but I recently made the switch from being a classroom teacher to a school administrator (working in marketing/admissions). I am only 10 days into my new job (!) but so far it is the best decision I have ever made. Last year–my first year out of college–I paid attention to what did and didn’t make me happy, and I realized that I would be much more enthused and challenged in an administrative position. Good luck to anyone out there looking to make a switch!

MelanieF August 3, 2010 at 11:16 am

I’ve left several jobs over the years to pursuit other interests. I am now in the process of having my diploma in accounting, which makes me happy! We’ll see where that goes!

ashleigh August 3, 2010 at 11:17 am

I love that pumpkin cereal.. The pumpkin seeds in it are SO good!

I love posts like this! I love reading inspiring stories from you and other readers, as well as reading all the old comments in the posts above!

Juani August 3, 2010 at 11:21 am

I actually have quit a job before.Basically what happened,is that I broke some fingers on my right hand,while working (got them stuck in the door of the company safe – don’t ask :/

What made me quit,was the fact that my boss didn’t so much as ask me whether I needed to go to the doctor’s office or even offer to give me first aid,so I had to fix myself up.I was so upset,I nearly burst out in tears.

This happened on the Friday,and the next Monday I handed in my resignation.And I have never been happier about a decision I’ve made.

Kerri@Kerri B Turns Into a Zombie August 3, 2010 at 11:21 am

I quit my job at a nursing home and ended up taking a position on tropical island in the North Pacific teaching.

Lauren August 3, 2010 at 11:23 am

If you’ve already addressed this…ignore me, but I am curious to know how your decision making process would have been different if you had a child (or maybe this is why you decided to do this now rather than later). I struggle a lot with this…we had a baby about a year ago and I feel much more “locked down” in my career than I ever have before because of needing to provide financial stability for the little guy. If only money was no object–it would be much easier for us all to do what we love!

Lauren August 3, 2010 at 11:23 am

I quit my job last summer to move to Philly. It was a big move but I was happy to do it. After a few months in Philly I found another job, which I have hated since the day I started. I actually hope to quit soon, like in the next few weeks. Not sure what I am going to do next, but I don’t need to waste my time here!

Jennifer(Savor) August 3, 2010 at 11:24 am

I quit my job making some good money for a pharmacuetical company to be a stay at home mom. Now I have blogging as a career. You are right – Set the goals!

Carolyn @ lovinlosing.com August 3, 2010 at 11:26 am

I gave up a better paying job for one at a University thinking it would be more laid back and fun. In some ways it was, but I was SO BORED!! It just wasn’t worth the pay cut and now I’m back being busy and making good $$! :)

Tina August 3, 2010 at 11:30 am

@Lauren: To be honest, I don’t really know as I don’t have a child. It probably would have been a more difficult decision.

Joanne August 3, 2010 at 11:42 am

That was a huge step but you have to take chances otherwise you never know. So glad it worked out for you.
    It would be so much fun to pursue my dreams at this time however, I’m so blessed to be where I am, it’s important to maintain perspective.
    In the future, there will be a Bed and Breakfast run by a blogger – Yay ME! … but not yet. :(

Liz @ Tip Top Shape August 3, 2010 at 11:50 am

It is Sandwich month??? Well, I have to get on that! haha

I’ve never quit a job before but I imagine it has to be nerve wracking. Kudos to you for having the nerve to do it and I’m glad to see that everything is working out so well!

LizLivingVegan August 3, 2010 at 11:51 am

That’s so great that you followed your blogging dream! And I love that Nature’s Path Granola! :) So yummy!

Joanna August 3, 2010 at 11:52 am

I quit a job just this past May. It worked out fine though. It was the right decision.

Jocelyn August 3, 2010 at 11:58 am

When did you notice people starting to take your blog seriously (as in career-wise) and how did you go about writing articles for various websites… (did you need a degree in writing/any qualifications?)

Thanks! :) Sorry if you already answered these questions..i will keep lookin!

Kelly August 3, 2010 at 12:21 pm

Hey Tina, great post! You are an inspiration! I am extremely interested in finding work in the health and nutrition field. Unfortunately, while I have a Master’s degree it is not in Nutrition. In your post you mention spending time researching jobs. When you were researching, did you come across any jobs in the field that don’t require an RD or Nutrition degree? If so, could you please give me some examples? Thanks!

suki August 3, 2010 at 12:33 pm

I didn’t quit my job, but being laid off certainly helps push one in the right direction! :)

Amber K August 3, 2010 at 12:35 pm

I have quit all of my jobs. Two because something about them just wasn’t bearable (one was only four hours a week, just not enough $ at the time and the other was 60+ hours a week with horrible working conditions), and one because I had to in order to go to school.

They were all easy to leave except the one where I worked so many hours. That one was awkward, but I knew I had to do it!

Danielle August 3, 2010 at 12:40 pm

I would have to get a real job first in order to really quit :) but I did quit a catering job two summers ago after two weeks of hell. In standard Danielle fashion, however, I couldn’t quit just to quit so I fibbed and said I had been offered an internship in NYC (I’d applied and interviewed but not yet heard back). Thankfully any guilt I felt was instantly lifted when I was not only happier but also ended up landing that internship I was hoping to get. Maybe I’ve just gotten lucky, but I like to think that the universe worked in my favor because I worked hard for what I wanted and believed that I deserved it. That’s what you did, after all, isn’t it? :)

Omowali August 3, 2010 at 12:57 pm

I still work full time in a the retail field but I love to blog myself. I hope that one day soon I can leave me job 100% and also make blogging my job full time like you. You have a very pretty blog.

Kelly August 3, 2010 at 1:14 pm

I’ve had a lot of jobs over the years so I guess I have quit quite a few. That said, my changes have not been so drastic. I’m still working in the field I graduated from. I’ve considered other paths and have no doubt I’ll make a more substantial shift someday but for right now I’ve decided what I am doing makes the most sense in the short term.

Cynthia (It All Changes) August 3, 2010 at 1:22 pm

I quit my tenure track job teaching to go back to seminary and become a pastor. I make nowhere near what I used to and work so many more hours but I’m just happier. Best decision I ever made. And I met Hunni in seminary which made it truly perfect.

Allie August 3, 2010 at 1:35 pm

So glad you’re open and willing to talk about this. I’ve been struggling with this topic for about 7 months at my current job and I go back and forth about what would really make me hapy. It is so hard but sometimes it feels like there aren’t many options out there and it is scary to leave a job in this economy. I have so many dreams but financial issues always get in the way! Thanks for the inspiration and sharing your journey – it helps me to feel confident that I can achieve my goals too!

Evan Thomas August 3, 2010 at 1:52 pm

I haven’t quit a job, but I turned down an offer for a Summer job this year. It was working on computers for TJX. Basically, I haven’t worked on computers(besides blogging) in years and would have been miserable. It turned out being a great decision because not working is letting me spend time in Chicago for HLS.

Chelsea (Chelsea's Chew and Run Fun) August 3, 2010 at 1:54 pm

Thankfully I’ve never been laid off or fired, so I’ve respectfully resigned from every job I’ve ever had- sometimes months in advance as a courtesy to my employers. The hardest job for me to quit was very recent. I had been working as a full-time nanny for five years in New York City for a wonderful family and made the decision to go back school and move back to California, where my entire family lives and where I’m originally from. It was incredibly hard to say goodbye to the kids that I loved so much and had grown so attached to, but I knew that I had to move on with my ultimate objective to finish school and start my own career as a Psychologist.

I really appreciated what you wrote about your navigation out of a 9-5 job that didn’t suit you to securing your ideal job. Very inspirational and brave story!

Ellen August 3, 2010 at 1:56 pm

I would love to make blogging my job. I tried blogging before, but I work almost 60 hours a week and couldn’t keep up with up.

Right now I work full time and part time – and it’s killing me. I do like my day job but I don’t make a lot of money. So enter the second job. I dislike the second job. I don’t like the person I work for and I have to work till almost 10PM most nights of the week. I am worn out, burnt out, stressed out. And honestly, I still don’t make all that much money all together. And I have no social life at all. None. But I can’t live on the day job alone. So I need another source of income. I would love for it to be blogging – but I just don’t see how to make that happen. How do you actually get to the point where it’s a making you money? What steps would I have to take? Is it just chance or what?

I’m curious how I might lose that second job and actually make a living from blogging or other similar type of work. Where does the money come from? Is it from ads? Does that really generate all that much? I know bloggers never want to say how much money they make – but I really want to know if you can get to a point that it really is a good source of money? And how much can I expect to make? Are we talking $100 or $1000 or what?

I have to admit that I also think it would help to have a husband who is employed – I don’t have that. I have nobody at all to help me in any way. I have to admit I sort of feel like you had that to fall back on a bit. At least he had an income to keep you guys afloat.

Back when I lived with a boyfriend, I was able to just work part time. I had him bringing in some money. I felt more able to not work full time since I had my back up and my support. But now I just have myself. And I can’t see how I can make it all work.

If you weren’t married, would you be able to make it all work – pay rent, all our bills, etc.? Could you do what you’re doing know without another income coming in? Because that’s where I am at?

Emily @ The Happy Home August 3, 2010 at 2:16 pm

thank you for your life-changing links! i need to sit down in my house and figure out a game plan, for sure. it’s very inspiring!

Wendy (Give Love Create Happiness) August 3, 2010 at 3:04 pm

This is very inspiring Tina! The last job I quit I was so happy to do so. It wasn’t a good match for me. It wasn’t making me happy, in fact the opposite, and I didn’t want to live that way. Now I live with less, have lots of time with my kids and am very happy doing that. Enjoy your trip!

stephanie@Avocado Nation August 3, 2010 at 4:53 pm

I quit my job about a month ago and it was the best decision I have ever made. I was so depressed and stressed out. I cried at my desk almost daily and I had nightmares every night. I don’t have a job now, but I made sure to build up a good amount of savings before I left so that i would have a little bit of time to figure out what I wanted to do.

Staceyhttp://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ August 3, 2010 at 5:15 pm

I am working myself on getting back into the health and fitness industry and I hope my blog helps me make those connections.

Gina August 3, 2010 at 5:41 pm

I actually quit a job at Harvard (HMNH) also and it’s taken me on a wonderful but somewhat bumpy path. I’m going back to school to become a Registered Dietitian.

Patricia Biesen August 3, 2010 at 8:27 pm

Hi Tina, I e-mailed you prematurely. Now I see where I can leave comments. I just wanted to say thank you for sharing this information. I’m a blogger looking to make a living from my blog. I write Chicago Eats Allergy Free for ChicagoNow and will soon be writing a new blog called Eclectic Eating Chicago. I’m also in school to become a holistic health coach. Your story is very inspirational to me. Your pug is sooo cute! Pugs are my favorite dogs. Your blog is a definitely a sunny spot in my day.

Leanne August 4, 2010 at 9:51 pm

I would love to some how make food, cooking and fitness a career and after following your story and many other bloggers I hope someday (after enough planning) I’ll be able too.

Thanks for sharing. :)

Zenaida Arroyo July 17, 2013 at 9:26 am

Hi! I just found your blog. Pretty neat.

I might have missed it in the comments but how did blogging become your job? I mean, how do you get paid? Is it by each posts and/or viewers? Who pays you? You don’t have to specify salary but is it enough or equivalent to a 9-5 “real job”? Please don’t take it as an insult because that is not what I am trying to do. :-)