• Hot Stuff

August 13, 2010

I took my first ever hot yoga class this morning and I loved it!! :mrgreen:

IMG_6008.JPG

This morning, Meghann, Kath, Emily, and I took a Hot Power Fusion class a CorePower Yoga. The class was taught in a room heated to 98-100 degrees and featured a combination of holds and flows with hip opening, upper body, and core strengthening moves. The poses weren’t super hard, but the heat definitely made it a challenge. I sweat my ass off!! Holy cow! 8-O

_MG_5999.JPG

This CorePower Yoga location was really nice– modern and upscale!

_MG_6002.JPG

The yoga room was big and bright with beautiful views of the Chicago skyline.

_MG_6006.JPG

After yoga class, I rehydrated with a bottle of pomegranate-berry Zico. I wasn’t a fan after my first sip, but halfway through, I decided that I liked it.

_MG_6011.JPG

Breakfast

Before yoga, I enjoyed breakfast with a bunch of blog buddies at the Corner Bakery Cafe. It was a cute little cafe with lots of yummy options on the menu, but the employees didn’t want me snapping photos. Oops! :oops:

_MG_5986.JPG

For breakfast, I ordered the Swiss Oatmeal, which was served chilled (aka overnight oats). It was made with rolled oats, fresh green apples, bananas, currants, dried cranberries, low-fat yogurt, and skim milk. On the side, it was served with homemade Sweet Crisps. So delicious!

_MG_5991.JPG

And, of course, I drank an iced coffee with breakfast.

_MG_5993.JPG

Breakfast blog buddies! :mrgreen:

_MG_5995.JPG

Do you recognize some of these ladies?!?

_MG_5997.JPG

Off to find lunch! I’m starving!

CathyK August 13, 2010 at 1:28 pm

i just did hot yoga for the first time last week! loved it, too! hope you can keep it up – it would be really helpful when you get further into your marathon training! loving your chicago updates!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss August 13, 2010 at 1:29 pm

I’ve always wanted to try hot yoga!!! I wonder if you have to be specially certified in it or if you can just crank up the heat and teach regular yoga? lol

tanyas daily August 13, 2010 at 1:31 pm

you got a fun packed day

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete August 13, 2010 at 1:32 pm

I would love to try hot yoga — and I think it would be nice to not try it alone!

Have a great day!

Andrea @ Thin Thighs & Sweet Potato Fries August 13, 2010 at 1:37 pm

I did hot yoga once and the heat definitely makes a difference! Looks like you guys are having a good time! Hate I missed it. I’m actually from the Chicago area originally which would’ve made the trip even better, but tickets sold out before I got a chance to snag one! :(

Shanna, like Banana August 13, 2010 at 1:38 pm

I’ve seen those ladies before!

You’re all set to try Bikram next at well over 104 deg ;)

I miss Corner Bakery!

Jessica @ The Process of Healing August 13, 2010 at 1:44 pm

What great bloggers ;) LOVE Gabriela!

Estela @ Weekly Bite August 13, 2010 at 1:46 pm

Hot yoga is the best! So glad you liked it :)

Sarah @ See Sarah Eat August 13, 2010 at 1:47 pm

I can’t believe they didn’t want you to take pictures! I’ve never heard of that happening at a restaurant before (I did get yelled at when I did it in Tiffany’s in New York, haha).

I’ve done hot yoga once and it was fun but I did it in the winter when I needed to warm up! I feel like I’m doing hot yoga now just stepping outside to walk the dog :)

Jessica @ How Sweet August 13, 2010 at 1:50 pm

No picture taking?! That is really weird!

Megan @ Healthy Hoggin' August 13, 2010 at 1:50 pm

Looks like a fun time so far! I’ve been meaning to do some hot yoga again, but it’s just too HOT outside to suffer like that right now! Maybe when things cool off again… ;)

I love Corner Bakery! I don’t have one nearby anymore, which is maybe a good thing…

Amanda-The Nutritionist Reviews August 13, 2010 at 1:51 pm

That’s so awesome that you get to meet up with so many bloggers! Did they actually tell you not to cake pictures at the cafe? That is so weird!

Lisa August 13, 2010 at 1:51 pm

I’ve heard hot yoga can be unpleasant smelling…one of the reasons I haven’t tried it yet. ;)

Bethany @ More Fruit Please August 13, 2010 at 1:51 pm

Glad to read about your hot yoga experience. I’ve never tried it and am a bit intimidated by it!

Heather (Heather's Dish) August 13, 2010 at 1:53 pm

that’s so weird they didn’t want you to take pictures! how bizarre…

anyway, the yoga class sounds fun! we have a corepower next to me, maybe i shoudl try it out!

jenna August 13, 2010 at 1:56 pm

Did you feel weird after taking hot yoga? (sick feeling?)

how long did you wait after you ate breakfast before you took the hot yoga class?

I’ve been wanting to try one but i’m scared i’ll get too hot and pass out! :) ha!

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter August 13, 2010 at 1:58 pm

I didn’t like hot yoga when I tried it :/ It was just too weird for me. The heavy breathing, the smell of sweat and I didn’t like the teacher! Really unfortunate!

Cynthia (It All Changes) August 13, 2010 at 2:00 pm

Glad you survived your first Hot Yoga experience. Are you addicted now?

Tina August 13, 2010 at 2:01 pm

I have never tried hot yoga but definitely want to. It sounds like such a great experience.

That’s weird they didn’t want you snapping photos. Was it of the menu or what?

Kelly August 13, 2010 at 2:04 pm

Places can be so weird about photos. Glad you enjoyed hot yoga!

Emily @ Run Emily Run August 13, 2010 at 2:07 pm

I would love to try hot yoga! I’m really afraid that someone will tell me to stop taking photos when I take them in restaurants, but so far I haven’t had many problems. Usually people are really excited that I’ll advertise for them for free!

Jenny August 13, 2010 at 2:10 pm

If you ever want to hot yoga in Boston let me know – I just started last week and I’m hooked! The folks in the evening classes at the Financial District Bikram Yoga are SO super nice! I was nervous just working out in my sports bra, since I’m sporting quite a bit more junk in my…. uh… well… abdomen… than some of the other girls there. But no one cared. And no one cared that I had to sit through most of my first session! Everyone was super supportive and just there to feel good. Love. Love love love.

Wendy (Give Love Create Happiness) August 13, 2010 at 2:20 pm

What a great start to a wonderful day!

Jenna (Hello, I Love You) August 13, 2010 at 2:23 pm

Core Power is my favorite!! I love it so much that we moved so we could live closer to a studio (well that was not the only reason, but a big one for me). I am so glad you liked it! :)

Katie from Run Little Legs August 13, 2010 at 2:25 pm

I practice hot yoga every so often and it is by far my favorite type of yoga! I am glad you tried it! The studio looks amazing – I am so jealous!

Angela August 13, 2010 at 2:25 pm

Hot yoga is the best. I wish I could fit it into my day more often, the heat really warms up the muscles so you can get a deeper stretch. That studio is gorgeous. Looks like you’re having a blast!!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) August 13, 2010 at 2:35 pm

I have never done hot yoga. Sounds like fun! Breakfast sounds delicious! So glad you are having fun!

Grace @ Front Porch Yoga August 13, 2010 at 2:43 pm

I learned yoga at a Baron Baptiste affiliate studio in NH almost 6 years ago. Their Boston studio’s are in Cambridge and Brookline if you ever get a chance to go! I always feel like I can fly after a hot yoga class, no matter how tired I am :)

Saralyn August 13, 2010 at 2:45 pm

OMG! I read this blog daily, and that’s MY yoga studio! South Loop Core Power! I hope you enjoyed it! I love that studio, great views and parking (which is hard to come by in Chicago!)

Kelli August 13, 2010 at 2:49 pm

I love Hot Yoga at Core Power!!! I’m prego and miss it so much!! I know they say you have strange food cravings when prego – I crave Hot Fusion Yoga!

Laurab@ foodsnobstl August 13, 2010 at 3:09 pm

I love hot yoga! unfortunately the place I have gone to smells really bad. I assume it is from all the sweat. I hope you didn’t have that experience. That place looks really nice! Cool location.

Kacy August 13, 2010 at 3:14 pm

That’s exciting that you found “overnight oats” while on the road :) The yoga class sounds great!

Krystina August 13, 2010 at 3:21 pm

I want to do hot yoga SO bad. I’m almost tempted to just buy a heater and do it at home because classes can get expensive.

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman August 13, 2010 at 3:39 pm

I did hot yoga once and my goodness that makes you feel so refreshed (after a shower, of course). I loved it but it’s expensive for me to do on a regular basis.

Lynn (The Actors Diet) August 13, 2010 at 4:03 pm

i’ve never done hot yoga before but i did do yoga once in a very hot room and i didn’t like it mentally (though my body got really limber)

Rachael August 13, 2010 at 4:14 pm

I love Corepower – I did my teacher training with them out in California! The hot yoga classes are an occasional nice break from the rigidity of Bikram. Glad you enjoyed!

Mac August 13, 2010 at 4:40 pm

I’ve never done hot yoga, but I am very intrigued… now I just need to find somewhere that has it.

Chicago Cuisine Critique August 13, 2010 at 4:53 pm

Looks like you guys are having a great time! Enjoy.

Alexa@Living La Vida Pura August 13, 2010 at 5:19 pm

I’ve always been a little nervous to try hot yoga, but I do admit that the heat would be a nice counterpoint to this frigid Alaskan summer we’ve been having.

Katie @ peacebeme August 13, 2010 at 5:19 pm

Why wouldn’t they let you take pictures? That is so weird! I love hot yoga too, I have only tried it a couple of times and unfortunately can’t do it anymore, maybe someday again though!

Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) August 13, 2010 at 5:43 pm

What an awesome yoga studio – I’ve never seen one so nice!

BroccoliHut August 13, 2010 at 5:45 pm

LOVE Corner Bakery–I make a point of going there every time I visit Chicago:)

Staceyhttp://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ August 13, 2010 at 8:00 pm

That is a fancy yoga study, that’s funny about the picture, oh well. :)

Hannah August 13, 2010 at 8:00 pm

Mmm, the idea of dipping those bikkies into cold oats sounds SCRUMPTIOUS. I can’t wait for it to get warm here in Australia so I can recreate something like that!

Annie August 13, 2010 at 8:28 pm

I LOVE Core Power Yoga! I used to go there practically every single day when I lived in Boulder, CO during college. It’s by far the best yoga studio I’ve ever experienced! I like the Core Power classes more than the Hot Power Fusion classes. If you go back again, try one of those!
    Have fun at the cocktail party! :)

Wei-Wei August 14, 2010 at 3:34 am

I’d be embarrassed to try hot yoga. I sweat a lot if I’m hot and… I smell. :P Just putting that out there!

Wei-Wei

Erika @ Food, Fitness, & Fun August 14, 2010 at 10:13 am

LOL! I could see the lady pointing at you in your picture! :-)
    Wow, even restaurants are lovin’ the overnight oats, I know I am!

mbt sheos August 16, 2010 at 4:16 am

Go into

Corinne August 16, 2010 at 11:42 am

HA! you can see the woman behind the counter ‘tsking her finger at you. That is too bad. Oh well you got one in. I have had that same breakfast before on a business trip to Chicago. So yummy and I LOVE the sweet crisp bread that comes with it!

Hortensia Heidema December 1, 2010 at 11:59 pm

Several of the factors related with this weblog post are generally beneficial nonetheless had me personally wanting to understand, did they seriously suggest that? One point I’ve got to say is your writing experience are excellent and I will be returning back again for any brand-new blog publish you arrive up with, you might possibly have a brand-new supporter. I guide marked your blog for reference.