• Holy Humidity

August 28, 2010

When it comes to running, this New England gal is not used to the Florida humidity. I thought that I was going to melt on my 6 mile run this morning. Somehow, I survived, and now I’m enjoying a delicious iced coffee in my hotel suite.

IMG_0014.JPG

One of the best parts about my job (besides the food!) is running in other cities. It’s a great way to “explore” a new area. I’ve run in San Francisco, Vermont, Chicago, Philadelphia, and now I can add Orlando to the list.

IMG_0225.JPG

I ran 6 miles near the hotel. Even at 7:00 in the morning, it was already super humid and my poor lungs were not ready for it. I felt like I couldn’t breathe at times! Eventually, my body got used to it, and I trucked along with a few stops for picture-taking along the way.

IMG_0227.JPG

I completed 6 miles in 55:54, which isn’t a bad time, but I definitely struggled to run without stopping. Here are my splits:

• 8:59
    • 9:18
    • 9:22
    • 9:33
    • 9:26
    • 9:11

IMG_0229.JPG

IMG_0231.JPG

IMG_0233.JPG

Mal is running his 6 miles with our TNT team in South Boston this morning. He said he’ll send along his recap later today.

Off to eat more! :mrgreen:

Tina August 28, 2010 at 2:42 pm
    Tina August 28, 2010 at 2:45 pm

@Ashley: I’m writing a post about this for Health this week. Keep a look out for it on Wednesday morning!

Pearl Lee August 28, 2010 at 2:47 pm

ugh! the humidity!

is it hard to run with your camera? i think i’d be afraid of dropping mine (since i already drop things like my ipod and water bottle and etc) :)

K August 28, 2010 at 3:10 pm

Um..just because I can’t help it,…I happen to like the new look of the blog

Kelly August 28, 2010 at 4:02 pm

Wow I feel like you can see the humidity in the pictures. Nice job still getting out there though!

Chelsea August 28, 2010 at 4:23 pm

Good job keeping up with your training schedule even while you’re in Orlando. I can’t imagine running in humidity like that!

Joe Hrdlicka August 28, 2010 at 4:39 pm

I’ve trained in the Florida humidity this time of year in the past. It’s great if you’re gearing up for an event back home.

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin August 28, 2010 at 5:52 pm

I totally avoid running in humidity like that because of my asthma!

Wendy (Give Love Create Happiness) August 28, 2010 at 6:03 pm

Yay for adding another city run to the list!

Staceyhttp://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ August 28, 2010 at 6:26 pm

It looks like a gorgeous morning for a run, but humidity is a killer.

MegaNerd August 28, 2010 at 6:51 pm

Welcome to humid orlando! :)

I ran this morning and i was drenched just from walking outside. YUCK!

Heather August 28, 2010 at 7:40 pm

welcome to the south! isn’t it lovely? lol! marathon training is not going to be fun monday!

Laura (Starloz) August 28, 2010 at 7:56 pm

I remember when I was in orlando in 07′ that I remember how run friendly it was, everythin was so open & it seems like just a beautiful place to explore.

Nancy August 28, 2010 at 10:15 pm

Have to say, not a huge fan of the new layout either for the same reason. Wish I could see the posts without clicking. However, don’t dislike it enough to stop reading! :-)

I could never live in Florida just because I love the change of seasons. Running in the fall is wonderful! I think overall you had an amazing run considering you aren’t really acclimated to their weather.

holly August 28, 2010 at 10:27 pm

umm …yeah I really like the new layout .. alot. Makes it much easier to see what posts I might have missed :)

Great pics!

Hannah August 28, 2010 at 11:26 pm

Humidity does make so much difference to how hot it feels! That’s one thing I like about Australia’s climate – even when it’s super hot, at least it’s a dry heat! (Except up north, of course…) But then again, I don’t run, only eat, so it doesn’t bother me too much anyway :P

Lauren at KeepItSweet August 29, 2010 at 7:36 am

I had the same issues last time I tried to run in South Florida. It is an insane difference from the Northeast.

CaSaundra August 29, 2010 at 1:50 pm

Iced coffee always hits the spot–Orlando is a really fun town to wander around too!

Lauren @ Running Examiner August 30, 2010 at 4:19 pm

I remember Florida humidity well from college! I have to say, I don’t necessarily miss running in FL, at all…

It looks like your trip was so much fun. What a cool experience! I hope you had an amazing time…thank you for recaping your travels so thoroughly!

produkty calivita January 10, 2011 at 3:40 pm

Hi….thanks for this good information.I’m so happy because it’s very useful for my thesis research.I hope you will keep updating your content constantly as you have one dedicated reader here :)