• Craving Some R & R

February 24, 2010

Hi, guys! :-D

I’m going to whiz right through tonight’s dinner post because I have a hot date with my DVR, specifically American Idol and Lost. There’s just so much good TV to watch! I’m also really craving some serious R & R tonight, so quick post then vegging out! :-D

Snack

When I got home from NuVal, a big box of Uncle Jerry’s Pretzels was waiting for me on my front porch. Sweet! I’m not typically a pretzel fan, but I love Uncle Jerry’s. They actually taste healthy, but in a good way. You can tell that they are made with high quality and wholesome ingredients.

This afternoon, I tried the Extra Dark variety, which has a unique blackened, almost burnt, taste. They were so, so delicious. I’m a big fan!

DSC_0018.JPG

After eating a couple of pretzels, I snacked on a banana to hold me over until dinnertime.

DSC_0009.JPG

Dinner

Real Simple had another winner with their Deep-Dish Polenta Pizza recipe. It rocked!

DSC_0001.JPG

In addition to tasting wonderful, this recipe was so easy to make. It took practically no time to prepare and just 30 minutes to cook in the oven. Although, Mal popped the pizza back in the oven for an additional 10 minutes to give the crust a more crispy texture.

IMG_6096.JPG

The recipe called for shredded radicchio, sun-dried tomatoes, and mozzarella, but I topped my pizza with red bell pepper, mushrooms, and crumbled blue cheese.

IMG_6098.JPG

The melted blue cheese was to die for!

IMG_6099.JPG

This recipe was a great twist on your usual homemade pizza. It’s definitely a keeper!

IMG_6102.JPG

Dessert

For dessert, I finished off the final two Oatmeal Raisin Cookies from yesterday’s batch.

IMG_6124.JPG

After dinner and dessert, Mal broke out a bottle of Berkshire Brewing Company Cabin Fever Ale. I wasn’t planning to drink, but I think I needed a beer tonight.

IMG_6112.JPG

IMG_6116.JPG

Mal just started American Idol and I have a beer waiting for me. Time to chill with my guys! :mrgreen:

IMG_6121.JPG

Enjoy your evening!

christie @ honoring health February 25, 2010 at 6:02 am

I have always wanted to try making polenta pizza but never got around to it.

Good for you for taking some R & R when you need it.

Chelsea (Chelsea's Chew and Run Fun) February 25, 2010 at 6:20 am

That polenta pizzza looks insane. I may just need to invest in that Real Simple cookbook. So far, all of the recipes you’ve tried out from it are right up my alley.

Jessie February 25, 2010 at 7:53 am

Yum, I love polenta! Even better with some roasted red pepper and mushrooms :) Hope you had a nice night!

Heather February 25, 2010 at 8:07 am

I had the same issue with the polenta crust when I made the pizza. I am thinking next time I might par-bake the crust before adding the toppings. Did your’s crips up with the extra 10?

Jessica February 25, 2010 at 8:11 am

Interesting recipe… I’ll definitely have to give it a try. I tried to make a sort of lasagne casserole dish with polenta once and it was a total fail. I had given up on polenta, but this recipe might convince me to try it again.

Sarah February 25, 2010 at 8:15 am

We have a BBC here too, only it’s the Bluegrass Brewing Company, ha ha. Hope you had a relaxing evening :)

diana(mymarblerye) February 25, 2010 at 8:43 am

i can eat pizza and drink beer DAILY. Love how you always “mix up” your homemade pizzas.

Kelly February 25, 2010 at 8:47 am

Oooooh LOST is my fav! So addicting.

kalli@fitandfortysomething February 25, 2010 at 8:51 am

Yum what a great pizza……..and nothing beats pizza with beer! Have a great day….

Stina @ Girl Can February 25, 2010 at 9:59 am

That pizza looks great, but when I read the ingredients, I saw “red bull, peppers” not “red bell pepper” and couldn’t figure out why you would be adding red bull to a pizza!

Kristilyn (My 29th Year) February 25, 2010 at 10:30 am

I love pretzels – they’re my favourite treat! I really should buy some other varieties sometime. I always opt for the same brand.

K

Carolyn February 25, 2010 at 11:22 am

Polenta pizza! That sounds like a fantastic idea!

christina February 25, 2010 at 12:19 pm

i love love love that polenta pizza

Melissa February 25, 2010 at 2:50 pm

LOVE the Pats glass! Are you both fans?

whitney February 25, 2010 at 8:38 pm

Thank you so much. I have been reading your blog for a little over a year now and everytime I read it I am put in a better mood. I truly appreciate your honesty and your hard work with your blog. Your dinner looks wonderful and I love how you make such realistic meals. Moreover, your evening with a beer, your puppy, and your husband watching American Idol sounds so ideal and REAL!

I just wanted to let you know that your blog really encourages me. It’s real life, you like beer, you life fun, you like good food ( especially pizza – my favorite) and you love health. There can be a balance and your the perfect example.

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather February 25, 2010 at 10:39 pm

I just made polenta pizza too! It definately was a nice twist on the normal crust!

Nicole March 9, 2010 at 7:47 pm

This is a fantastic blog! My pal over at http://lessonsinmoderation.wordpress.com/ told me to check it out, and I can see why she loves it. Great tips, great recipes and very inspiring story re: the career change and following your passions. Congrats on making it happen! I look forward to reading more AND trying this polenta pie. :)