• Burn the Morning

February 27, 2010

Hi, guys! :mrgreen:

After blogging about breakfast, I headed downtown for a BURN class at Healthworks. BURN is a hard-core treadmill workout, but it is designed to challenge all fitness levels– you don’t need to be a superstar runner to take a class. You can even walk the BURN class and still get an amazing workout. For 50-minutes, you work between treadmill intervals and strength training circuits, which maximizes your workout efficiency, so you burn a ton of calories.

Healthworks offers about 10 different BURN classes; I took Total Body Blast BURN this morning. This workout is performed predominantly on the treadmill and involves sprints, high-incline power walking, and endurance intervals.

The class was tough, and it totally kicked my booty! Toward the end of the workout, we alternated between sprints and jogging on a 6.0 incline. I thought I was going to die. But, when it was all over, I felt GREAT! I’m so glad that I pushed myself. I love workouts like that! :-D (But, seriously, I thought I was going to die!)

IMG_6317.JPG

After a butt-kickin’ workout at Healthworks, I headed over to Intimacy in the Copley Mall to buy myself a new bra. What can I say, I have expensive taste when it comes to bras! ;-)

IMG_6321.JPG

I realize the importance of high quality (aka expensive) bras, but I’m still a cheapskate at heart. I didn’t need a new bra, but my $50 off coupon was going to expire at the end of the month, and I heard a rumor that Intimacy was having a big sale, so I just had to check it out. Plus, I always love a good deal!

IMG_6324.JPG

When I arrived at Intimacy, I went straight for the sale rack. I found 3 bras– 2 of which were half price– and tried them on. I ended up buying a lacy, black and purple number, which, with my coupon, cost me less than $3! It was totally worth the trip downtown! :mrgreen:

IMG_6327.JPG

Lunch

By the time I got home from my workout and running errands, I was famished! I took a quick shower and then whipped-up an even quicker salad for lunch. I munched on some veggies while I chopped.

IMG_6332.JPG

In the mix:

• Arugula
    • Carrots
    • Grape tomatoes
    • Cumbers
    • Celery
    • Black olives
    • Black-eyed peas
    • KooLoos
    • Balsamic vinegar

IMG_6333.JPG

IMG_6334.JPG

Like usual, I wanted something sweet after lunch, so I baked a quick batch of Oatmeal Raisin Cookies.

IMG_6337.JPG

And, I ate them all! ;-)

IMG_6338.JPG

I also put on a fresh pot of coffee. The combination of cookies + coffee just sounded so delicious to me. Plus, the rest of the pot will become iced coffee for tomorrow morning’s breakfast.

IMG_6340.JPG

I love my new mug! Thanks, Beth! :mrgreen:

IMG_6343.JPG IMG_6346.JPG

IMG_6351.JPG

So, my plans changed for this afternoon. Instead of spending it drinking beer, I’m driving out to my in-laws’ house with Mal to pick up a dining room table and our couch from storage. Mal and I want to have our place completely settled by the end of the weekend, so beer drinking will have to wait until tonight. ;-)

See ya later!

Kelly @ Healthy Living With Kelly February 27, 2010 at 1:53 pm

Haha…well we all have priorities!! :)

Freya @ foodfitnessandfreya.wordpress.com February 27, 2010 at 1:55 pm

Oooh that class sounds tough and SO fun! I would LOVE to go to a class like that…the 3-2-1 at my gym is not hard…I don’t even work up a sweat!
    Did you manage to bake just three cookies? If I bake I always end up with a huge batch!

Mara @ What's for Dinner? February 27, 2010 at 1:55 pm

I’m jealous of the fact that bras only cost you $50… mine are about $85 for the ones that make the girls look good… yay for being top heavy!

Brooke February 27, 2010 at 1:57 pm

I want to try that class! Did you have to pay extra for it? I think group classes are the way to go!

Karla February 27, 2010 at 2:11 pm

Oooh what lovely bras! Good bras are so important in my opinion! I’m a cheapskate too but bras are important!
    That sounds like a great work out! I want to try!!

Ameena February 27, 2010 at 2:12 pm

I love it when coupons get you free things! Great job on the bargain hunting!!

Lynn (The Actors Diet) February 27, 2010 at 2:15 pm

um, seriously?! that is the bra deal of the century!!!

Jessica @ WHY DONTCHA RUN February 27, 2010 at 2:22 pm

I’m so glad I’m not the only one who feels as though I’m going to “die” during a workout! LOL.

BTW, killer deal on those perty bras! You go girl!! (or girlS) ;)

Hannah February 27, 2010 at 2:25 pm

$3 for a quality bra?! That’s amazing! The really nice ones in Aus can cost at least $50… :(

Tina February 27, 2010 at 2:27 pm

@Mara @ What’s for Dinner?: Well, they were half off. I’ve tried on bras there for $300 each! It’s insane!

Christel February 27, 2010 at 2:31 pm

I remember the 1st day I stumbled into Intamacy. 1st off, how was I wearing the wrong bra size for for more than 10yrs??! Crazy. I need to find a $50 coupon.BTW, LOVE the lacy black & purple, and the purple one.

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 27, 2010 at 2:39 pm

ahhh you made me want to go lingerie shopping now! I’ll blame you if I do. :D

andrea February 27, 2010 at 2:41 pm

I love Intimacy I learned of it through Oprah. I don’t even know how I t went years without the right bra size and a good bra!!!

adrienmelaine February 27, 2010 at 2:45 pm

those cookies look fantastic- nice and easy- and a small recipe which is key- I always eat the whole batch within 24hours- even when it’s more then 6!

adrienmelaine February 27, 2010 at 2:45 pm

Lauren @ eater not a runner February 27, 2010 at 2:50 pm

I’ve always wanted to go to that store but it looks so fancy!

Have fun with the furniture and beer :-)

Leah February 27, 2010 at 3:09 pm

Ugh I need new bras too! I might check Intimacy out since VS bras just aren’t cutting it anymore. :/

Becky February 27, 2010 at 3:17 pm

That class sounds sooo good! I’ve heard about treadmill classes before, but I’ve never been to one. Gotta love the sale rack – always perks me right up!

christie @ honoring health February 27, 2010 at 3:19 pm

Great deal on those bras. The good ones are so pricey but so worth it!

Tara February 27, 2010 at 3:28 pm

I love bargain shopping!

Tricia Kuchler February 27, 2010 at 3:33 pm

Ooo I know how you feel about the discounts and the extra-push-yourself-feel-great-about-yourself workouts :) I always do something a little extra after a night out to mentally feel more balanced about my (bad) choices the night before.

elle February 27, 2010 at 3:44 pm

Healthworks looks like such an awesome gym. Treadmill workout classes are genius! I wish they had Healthworks in the NYC/NJ area. Do you know if they plan on opening any outside of the Boston area?

Amy February 27, 2010 at 3:44 pm

We have a class like that here except it’s called ‘Treading’ instead of ‘Burn.’

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is February 27, 2010 at 3:54 pm

I am a bra snob! I like great ones too. :)

Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) February 27, 2010 at 3:55 pm

I need new bras. I went and got fitted for bras a litle over a year ago but since I’ve lost a few lbs, I think my size has changed. Nice score!

Danielle (Coffee Run) February 27, 2010 at 4:18 pm

haha I can’t believe you pictured your bras on the blog! Props :)

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] February 27, 2010 at 4:21 pm

I have never ever heard of a treadmill group fitness class – how cool! Even though I adore my gym, Healthworks sounds uh-mazing!!!

…oh, and I seriously LOVE you for talking about your bra shopping and even posting pics. Mad props to you. New bras are always exciting to us girls =]

Cynthia (It All Changes) February 27, 2010 at 4:22 pm

Oooo pretty bra. I need some new ones too and love the pretty type. Mine have to be white for my work shirts but I still like to feel girly.

Emily Eats and Exercises February 27, 2010 at 5:08 pm

I love BURN. My Mom bought me a pack of classes last winter and they always kicked my butt. I’m too poor right now, but I would love to do some again.

Abby February 27, 2010 at 5:12 pm

HAHAH I would totally shop there because the gift card is called “cleavage currency” hahahaha!!!

Andrea @ CanYouStayForDinner.com February 27, 2010 at 5:18 pm

BURN sounds so scary! But I bet it was a great workout!
    And bras are so worth the money, think about how much you wear them. Bras, jeans, and everyday shoes are always good purchases.
    Have a great afternoon, Tina!

Amanda February 27, 2010 at 5:29 pm

I am incredibly jealous of both your workout and new bras! I think if my gym offered the variety and extent of classes yours does, I’d probably go try something new every day also. Lucky you!!

Staceyhttp://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ February 27, 2010 at 5:36 pm

Your workout today sounded amazing and intense, just what I love. I do a similar workout, but instead of the treadmill I do it on a spinning bike. The back and forth combination of intense cardio and resistance training keeps the heart rate up and the body working hard.

The Ketchup Diaries February 27, 2010 at 5:53 pm

Tina –

I’ve been using some of your treadmill incline workouts to the gym and I DEFINITELY know the feeling of soon-to-be-dead. Love your blog and think you’re such an inspriation! Keep up the fab writing!

Wendy (Give Love Create Happiness) February 27, 2010 at 5:54 pm

Tina, your food photography has really become a work of art. You should be proud :-)

Nicole @ Making Good Choices February 27, 2010 at 7:05 pm

I WISH my gym had awesome classes…it really has only traditional classes that aren’t that great. love the bras too!

Cole February 27, 2010 at 7:27 pm

Burn sounds like such a great class!

Heather (Heather's Dish) February 27, 2010 at 9:30 pm

this sounds like the ideal saturday…great workout, killer deals, delicious lunch! i’d love to find a place that has the BURN class!

diana(mymarblerye) February 28, 2010 at 8:14 am

3 dollar bras that don’t rip apart as you pay for them? HOLY DEAL! BTW do you have any MALE bosses that might see those bra pics? ;) I’ve never heard of a treadmill class! INTERESTING! I would love to try that!

Heather @ Side of Sneakers February 28, 2010 at 9:36 am

I love your mug!!

Caroline February 28, 2010 at 5:58 pm

I need to go to Intimacy in Atlanta very badly, have for years. I don’t entirely trust Victoria’s Secret to give me my proper bra size and I know I’ve never worn the right size bra (usually because I can’t find them in my size). I just never have any reason to go to that part of town when I make the drive to Atlanta anymore!

Shane April 19, 2010 at 1:57 pm

You’ve inspired me. Tina. I’m vegan and love my veggies, but somewhere along the way (especially during Bitch Week!) I usually go for boxed more than fresh. Mainly, I do fruit for breakfast, veggies for lunch, and Kashi vegan entrees for dinner, like Tuscan Veggie Bake. I also have a cookbook, but I can’t cook, so it’s collecting dust. However, that salad you whipped up inspired me to make my favorite derivative salad: Bean Salad! Usually just black beans, garbonzo (I can’t spell) beans, spinach, green apple, and lemon juice for dressing.