• Homemade Granola + Yogurt

November 18, 2009

Hello, blog world! :-D

Let me start off by telling you that I really loved this morning’s breakfast: my very own homemade granola + Greek yogurt + banana slices! Delish! :mrgreen:

DSC_0005.JPG

The homemade granola totally made the meal! I’m glad that I added so many almonds and raisins to it! ;-)

With breakfast, I drank some iced coffee with vanilla soy milk and agave nectar.

DSC_0008.JPG

Last night, I made a batch of homemade granola, which was so, so, so easy to make– and probably a whole lot cheaper and healthier than buying it at the grocery store.

Here’s the how-to:

1. Pre-heat oven to 350*F.

2. Combine the following ingredients (except for the raisins) in a small bowl:

• 1 cup dry oats
    • 1/2 cup almonds (or your favorite nut)
    • 1/4 cup pumpkin (or sesame) seeds
    • 1/3 cup shredded coconut
    • 1/3 cup raisins
    • 1 tbsp ground flaxseed meal
    • 3 tbsp agave nectar
    • 1 tbsp canola oil
    • Shake of cinnamon

3. Stir well until agave nectar and canola oil are fully mixed in. It’ll start to get a little clumpy.

IMG_0647.JPG

4. Spray baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.

5. Spread granola on pan and bake for 15-18 minutes, stir occasionally while cooking.

IMG_0649.JPG

6. Remove granola from oven and mix in raisins.

7. Allow to cool before serving.

8. Store in air-tight container.

Feel Great Weight

In honor of my recent and very indulgent trip to San Francisco, I wrote about carbs this week: No Carb Left Behind!

CNC FAQs

I finally organized my FAQ page! I added some new frequently asked questions, but please let me know if I am missing any.

What food(s) do you make at home instead of purchasing at the grocery store?

Meg @ Be Fit Be Full November 18, 2009 at 12:47 pm

Making homemade granola is definitely on my to-do list (it’s been there for a few months!) I like to make my own hummus, but I have yet to perfect it.

Jen @ healthylaps November 18, 2009 at 12:51 pm

I always make my own granola! It tastes better, and I know every single ingredient that goes into it! I am very into eating all natural foods, and a lot of the granola out there has lots of fillers. I make mine similar to yours, Tina, except that instead of Canola Oil, I use coconut oil. It has a similar amount of fat, but coconut oil has some healthier properties. Give it a try!

Autumn Tao November 18, 2009 at 1:26 pm

I make a lot of vegan muffins. They are inexpensive, animal-friendly, convenient and cute! They work well for breakfast, snack, or dessert. Mixing up the fruit and nuts and spices also allows for endless options.

Thanks for the granoloa recipe, that seems too easy!

Janna November 18, 2009 at 1:28 pm

Just another thing I need to add to the list of make -it on my own!
    I really want to make chocolate/cacao granola. Mmm… going to look into that forsure.

I wish I made more at home! I used to make my own greek yogurt :) Um.. hmm, I make my own muffins and scones.

Kris | iheartwellness.com November 18, 2009 at 1:36 pm

Yummmmmmy! I am assuming these are quick oats that you used?

I am so happy I have all of these ingredients at home, except I will sub canola oil for coconut oil I think :)

great post doll!
    XXOO

Tina November 18, 2009 at 1:40 pm

@Kris | iheartwellness.com: I used Old Fashioned Oats.

Laura L.Ac November 18, 2009 at 1:47 pm

I make my own chicken pot pie. I like it so much better than the frozen store-bought kind. Also, being Italian, I was raised to always make my own sauce. It’s easy to freeze and keep on hand.

Cynthia (It All Changes) November 18, 2009 at 1:52 pm

I like making my own fruit yogurt. I don’t like the fake feeling of fruited yogurt so I use greek yogurt and add whatever fruit I want.

Laura @ Backstage Pass to Health & Happiness November 18, 2009 at 1:56 pm

Tina! Thanks very much for linking to the NuVal giveaway yesterday – I won! It was such a pleasant surprise and I love their new blog. Thanks again!

This granola looks DELICIOUS – what a novel concept! I love baking but never thought to make my own granola. I will be trying this out soon!

Samantha November 18, 2009 at 2:07 pm

I make killer spicy hummus! I make a double batch once a week at least. The BF and I love it!!

Kelly Brunemn November 18, 2009 at 2:12 pm

I make my own homemade spaghetti sauce. I eat gluten-free and this allows me to be able to not only make according to what my body needs but I can also lower the sugar and sodium contents by making it myself. I also love chunky sauce and I can go crazy with the vegetable add-ins!

Arlene November 18, 2009 at 2:19 pm

I love the idea of homemade granola. I’ll have to try that.

I sometimes make my own hummus, but I’m a little ashamed to admit that I’m still very much a convenience foods kind of girl. Maybe if I spent a little more time in the kitchen making real food,I’d be able to drop that last 17 pounds!

Steve November 18, 2009 at 2:22 pm

I make a ton of stuff at home (which cost a ton at the store):
    Tortilla chips, soy chips, pumpkin granola, and every whole grain bread under the sun…

lina40 November 18, 2009 at 2:28 pm

hummus, salsa and guacamole — tastes way better my way!

Kristacular November 18, 2009 at 2:46 pm

I make granola often, but sometimes when I’m lazy I pick some up at the farmers market :) But I do always make my own popcorn!

Sarah @ The Foodie Diaries November 18, 2009 at 2:53 pm

I was justtt searching for homemade granola recipes yesterday! It’s the first thing I want to make once my kitchen is done–bc I spend so much $$ on it and have a feeling the homemade stuff is where it’s at :)

Thanks for this!

on the rocks November 18, 2009 at 2:57 pm

the addition of the shredded coconut sounds amazing!

Lynn (The Actors Diet) November 18, 2009 at 3:22 pm

i recently made a huge batch of granola to give to some friends and kept some for myself – i was amazed at how long it lasted! i used coconut oil in it, and it adds to the crazy coconut flavor.

Liz November 18, 2009 at 3:25 pm

Home made granola is bomb! Alton Brown has a great recipe for homemade granola bars. So yummy. It’s on food network.com.

AD November 18, 2009 at 3:45 pm

Love your at home granola – I LOVE anything with coconut in it!

I usually make my own greek yogurt at home; by straining nonfat plain regular yogurt Its WAY cheaper – and it even richer when you strain it yourself.

Ali (food, fitness, fashion) November 18, 2009 at 4:20 pm

That granola looks so great! I love making soups and baked good at home! I really want to get in the habit of making my own breads! Maybe I will register for a bread machine :)

Emily Eats and Exercises November 18, 2009 at 4:38 pm

That looks great – definitely going on my list right away. I make my own hummus (though not recently,) no soup from a can for me. My parents have a yogurt maker they use all the time – I’m thinking of getting one – I spend a lot of money on yogurt – might be worth it…

Hallie (Healthy Twists) November 18, 2009 at 5:14 pm

I make my own salsa…and by that, I mean I tell my boyfriend to make it because he is now pretty much famous for his salsa recipe! It’s so good, so much fresher and cheaper (and HOTTER) than anything we get at the store. I used to make my own soups too but I’m waiting to get more soup-friendly veggies in my CSA to start making them again this year.

Susan (All Things In Moderation) November 18, 2009 at 7:06 pm

Thanks for the granola recipe ! I have been meaning to try making my own for a long time now. It looks so good !

Tasha November 18, 2009 at 7:23 pm

I make my own dipping sauces for meat fondue nights. Nom.

Michele November 18, 2009 at 9:02 pm

I make my own pasta sauce. I guess I am a little spoiled because I am Italian and have never had sauce from a jar. It’s so easy to make it homemade and healthier too!

Kel November 18, 2009 at 9:55 pm

There seem to be more and more items that I now make at home. I make a batch of soup every Sunday and take for lunch and freeze some. I bake my own bread. All my sweet treats are home made as well. I have even been making my own pumpkin puree instead of buying the canned. I figure since I have the time, why not?

Hillary @ Nutrition Nut on the Run November 19, 2009 at 12:00 am

Going to go make some granola… Thanks =)

Katrina (gluten free gidget) November 19, 2009 at 12:07 am

I make bread at home instead of buying it. Store bought gluten free bread is just plain NASTY!

BroccoliHut November 19, 2009 at 12:29 am

It’s kind of amazing that as often as I eat granola, I’ve never made it myself! I’ll have to change that soon.
    I always make my own hummus!

catherine (FOOD SNOB) November 19, 2009 at 3:12 pm

I make granola, soy/almond milks, bread, pizza crust, pasta sauce, powdered vegetable broth base, hummus, whatever. We buy very few prepared/processed foods. Cheaper and healthier!

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] February 22, 2010 at 10:58 pm

Our homemade granola recipes are very very similar – sooo yummy! I have a big, fresh bag of it in my cupboard right now =]

Kelly August 8, 2010 at 2:34 pm

What are the pan’s dimensions?

Kelly August 8, 2010 at 2:35 pm

What is the pan’s dimensions?

Jess December 30, 2010 at 11:45 am

The granola looks delicious! I can’t wait to try to make it!
    The reason I’m posting is because of the Agave Nectar. A lot of people think that it’s good for your health and more natural compared to it’s alternatives. I saw your recipes and was reading through a book lately, “The Belly Fat Cure” and it has some pretty interesting things to say about Agave Nectar.
    Fructose goes directly to your liver soon becoming fatty deposites which can lead to fatty liver disease. The fat streams into your bloodstream leaving fatty blood- high cholesterol.
    The reason I’m telling you about frutose is because Agave Nectar has more fructose in it than high-fructose corn syrup. It’s highly processed, and it’s not natural or organic. Using it will trigger the same results as white sugar and high-frutose corn syrup. The author, Jorge Cruise, also said his doctor recommended avoiding it completely.