Mal and I were supposed to spend the July 4th weekend in New Hampshire with my sister and fiance and some of their friends, but we decided not to go. With flying out West last week and flying down South next weekend, we thought we’d be better off enjoying a “staycation” instead. Plus, after all of the fun we had in Seattle and Victoria, I am still recovering! Basically, I need a vacation from vacation! So, a “staycation” was the perfect option for this long weekend.
From ACB.com & CNN.com
- Schedule start and end dates. Just as you would with a vacation, schedule a beginning and ending for your staycation to make it feel like an official vacation. Otherwise, it runs the risk of feeling like just another string of nights in front of the tube.
- Pack that time with activities. Plan a daily activity, and make sure something takes you out of the house — for fun — every day.
- Declare a “choratorium.” That means no chores! Don’t make the bed, vacuum, clean out the closets, pull weeds — nothing. You’re on vacation!
- Take staycation photos or videos, just as you would if you went away from home for your vacation.
- Enjoy your “staycation” by becoming a tourist inside or near your own home. Consult guidebooks and check out websites like Chowhound.com to find the best local eateries.
- Stay in a nearby hotel. Tell them you’re a local, and they may give you a discount so that you’ll recommend them to visiting friends or relatives
- Join your local museum to get on lists to identify when the best cultural opportunities are happening
I started-off my staycation on the right foot with a hearty bowl of banana-peanut butter oats.
In the mix:
- 1/2 cup oats
- 3/4 cup vanilla hemp milk
- 1 banana
- 2 spoonfuls of peanut butter
We’re out of iced coffee, so I drank black tea with breakfast this morning.
Mal and I are looking at houses with our realtor ALL afternoon today. We have a list of about 8 or 9 homes that we plan to see.
Spending that day looking at houses might seem rather “un-staycation-like,” but we really enjoy checking out houses. It’s sort of like we are on House Hunters!
I’m off to enjoy my staycation! Enjoy the holiday weekend, blog friends!