• Overnight Oats and Hemp Protein

February 18, 2009

I’m sure you guys know this already, but food bloggers are extremely intelligent and clever people, especially when it comes to oats! Overnight oats are the best thing since sliced bread! ;-) Ok, so that was incredibly nerdy to say, but you get the idea! Overnight oats are very easy to throw together the night before you plan to eat them, and simply popping them into the microwave makes the next morning a little less hectic.

Makes 1 serving

How to:

• 1/2 cups old fashioned oats
    • 1 cup water (or milk)
    • 1/4 cup wheat berries (optional)

Combine all ingredients, cover, and let sit in fridge overnight. In the morning, uncover bowl and stir-in fruit, nuts, canned pumpkin, brown sugar, etc. Cook in the microwave for 2 minutes.* Remove oats from microwave, stir, and allow to cool for a couple of minutes. Finally, garnish with additional toppings (granola, chocolate chips, nut butter, etc.), if desired.

* I’ve read on other people’s blogs that they eat their overnight oats cold, which potentially sounds like a delicious breakfast, especially in the summer, but I haven’t tried the cold version yet. Feel free to weigh-in if you have– I’m curious!

After removing my oats from the fridge this morning, I added banana slices and hemp protein powder to the mix before cooking the whole bowl in the microwave for 2 minutes.

When the oats finished cooking, they were soft and chewy, but not much different than regular microwavable oats. I used water this time, so I am wondering if soy milk or hemp milk would make a difference? All I know is that having the oats ready to go straight into the microwave saved me a few minutes this morning! ;-)

New Mix-In: Hemp Protein

This morning, I added something a little different to my oats: Hemp Protein. Hemp protein is made from milling raw hemp seeds through a cold temperature processing method.

The Goods:

• High performance plant-based whole food
    • Comes in 3 delicious flavors
    • 100% certified organic, raw, gluten free and vegan
    • Contains all 10 Essential Amino Acids with 45%-50% protein per serving
    • A well-balanced ratio of Omega 3 and Omega 6 Essential Fatty Acids, and GLA
    • Excellent source of fiber

For some reason, the color of the hemp protein surprised me. The only hemp product that I have ever tried is hemp milk, which is a creamy white shade. The hemp protein powder, however, was a dark green-brown color. In my oats, it looked like little flecks of pepper! I’m not knocking the color– I was just surprised when I opened the package. As far as taste, I only added about a tablespoon of the hemp protein to my oats, so it wasn’t super strong, but a slightly nutty flavor came through. The hemp protein worked excellent in oatmeal, but I think it would also be great in smoothies and baking.

How does the appearance of food influence your opinion about it? Is there an “ugly” food that you love to eat?

Ash February 18, 2009 at 3:27 pm

I love cold overnight oats! I usually soak 1/2 a cup in 1/2 cup of skim then add either another half a cup of skim or yogurt. The best mix ins are chewy dried fruits and crunchy nuts! Plus I can not eat oats w/o cinnamon!

How was your visit to Ikea? We went last Saturday(Atlanta, GA) and wow was it crowded! It was my first time…Huge place! Love it :)

Sarah (lovINmytummy) February 18, 2009 at 5:15 pm

I love all your new oats methods. Breakfast cookie is where its at, if you are in a hurry. I made one this morning. Killer.

My nasty looking bowls of broccoli, hummus, veggie bacon and melted cheese look kind of disgusting, but I still love ‘em. I’m thinking dinner.

Jen February 18, 2009 at 5:37 pm

Ive heard of hemp protein but never tried! Look at all the fiber in it too!!! :) :)

Ryane February 18, 2009 at 6:20 pm

Especially over the summer, I would mix a serving of vanilla chobani with a serving of oats and let it sit overnight in the fridge – I would usually add berries in as well. They get suuuuper creamy, and if you use steel cut they get this awesome chewiness. So yummy and tons of protein!

Sammy February 18, 2009 at 7:12 pm

I am confused…some peope seem to cook cold oats before ,some uncooked.What is the best way to go on cold oats(like for summertime?)Thanks!!

Michelle February 18, 2009 at 7:24 pm

Hi Tina!! I LOVE your blog!! It’s a major inspiration in my brand new blog Balance My Cake (URL above!) I love overnight oats!! I like them cold too…soak the oats overnight, then add a cup or so of plain or vanilla (or any really) yogurt, flax, fruit, SF syrup, granola etc…delicious!! Almost TOO filling for oats, if there is such a thing ;)

I hope you’ll check out my blog soon!!

Michelle

Kim March 1, 2009 at 8:58 am

I have to say that I was skeptical about the overnight oats. I have really been trying to find something for breakfast that is different (I usually do 2 egg whites with a whole roma tomato & basil, 2 brown rice cakes, PB & fruit spread). I was stuck in a major rut. It is hard for me to eat whole grains for breakfast b/c I have to eat gluten-free. So, I bought some gluten-free oats & tried your overnight oats this AM. WOW!!!! I am in heaven! Here is how I made mine:

1/2 cup oats
    1/2 cup milk
    pinch of salt

Cover & stick in fridge overnight. Mine were in for about 12 hours, maybe a little less.

This AM….

Added 1/4 cup canned pumpkin
    cinnamon
    vanilla

Cooked for 1 minute, then stirred & covered again. Cooked for another minute, then stirred & covered again. Cooked for 30 seconds more.

Then I topped with 1 TBSP White Chocolate PB and 1 TBSP PB and 1 TBSP Boysenberry preserves.

I forgot that I had wanted to add some ground flax seed meal, I will do that next time. Plus, I can’t wait to play around with the toppings!

I was full half way through this meal, unbelieveable b/c I am a bottomless pit in the AM, it seems. I finished and am excited to see how long this holds me over.

Thanks for the great idea!

kelly June 1, 2009 at 3:57 pm

Don’t use a microwave – I read a detailed chemical analysis a few years ago on the internet that showed the proteins and many other components altered to an entirely different state because the microwave essentially vibrates everything in the cell wall until the cell wall is destroyed. That’s how I remembered the writer describing it. I wish I had that report now, can’t find it on the net anymore.

Gina September 11, 2009 at 8:06 pm

I eat oatmeal all the time but haven’t done overnight oats before -thanks for the recipe, I think I’ll try it soon! Do you know if you can also heat it up on the stove or if that would boil out too much water?

Chelsea May 28, 2011 at 5:03 pm

The microwave seems like a fine alternative if you are in a hurry.

I love hemp protein powder. I get the high protein kind and it really helps me get enough protein for my workouts since I do gymnastics.