• Wonderful Wheat Berries

January 13, 2009

I finally got my hands on some wheat berries! For months, I’ve been curious to try them, especially since I was seeing them all over the blogs, mixed into yummy-looking bowls of oats.

So, what is a wheat berry?

From Wikipedia:”The term wheatberry or wheat berry refers to the entire wheat kernel (except for the hull), comprising the bran, germ, and endosperm. Wheatberries have a tan to reddish brown color and are available as either a hard or soft processed grain. They are often added to salads or baked into bread to add a crunchy texture; as a whole grain, they also provide nutritional benefits since they are an excellent source of dietary fiber.”

My first experience with wheat berries was excellent! :-) The flavor is slightly nutty, and the texture is hearty and chewy. Wheat berries actually remind me a lot of bulgar, but larger in size.

How I made my wheat berries: I bought about 2 cups from the bulk bins at Whole Foods, took them home, soaked them in water overnight*, and simmered them the following morning on the stove top for about 35-45 minutes. And let me tell you, those 2 cups made a TON of wheat berries! I totally got my money’s worth! :-D I am storing my wheat berries in an airtight container in the fridge.

* Kath says that she skips the soaking step and just simmers the wheat berries in water on her stove top. To tell ya the truth, the soaking did seem like an extra step in the process, so I’ll probably skip it next time.

In today’s oats:

• 1/3 cup dry oats
    • 1/3 cup wheat berries
    • 5 dates, chopped
    • 1/4 cup vanilla soy milk
    • 1/2 cup water
    • 1 scoop almond butter (from my mom’s work)

Don’t Forget to Vote!!!

Thanks to all of you who said they voted for my pizza!!! I really appreciate it! I know Mal does, too! Remember, you can vote once a day, so be sure to visit the Boboli site everyday! And once you register all of your information, you only need to enter your email address to vote again. It’s much easier once you set up your “account.” Please vote for my Autumn Maple Bacon Pizza! :mrgreen:

What food(s) have you purchased/tried from seeing and/or reading about them on the food blogs?

Becca A January 13, 2009 at 4:47 pm

I’ve got quite the list but the faves are fage, larabars, dates, and almond butter.

Natalie Rae January 13, 2009 at 5:11 pm

chobani yogurt, tofu, brussel sprouts, LARA bars, Cliff bars, peanut butter again, sweet potato fries, figs, & blueberry Zbars

Karen January 13, 2009 at 9:06 pm

Chobani, Friendship Whipped Cottage Cheese, Larabars, Clifbars, Tofu….mmmm getting hungry again!

Julie January 13, 2009 at 10:51 pm

Since this fits in so well with the question today, I wanted to let you know that I just started a blog! It’s geared toward living a healthy life in the real world, trying to eat whole foods, get some exercise, and feel good in the skin I’m in!! :)

maris January 13, 2009 at 11:57 pm

I have been wanting to try a wheatberry salad recipe ever since I had a delicious one at a friend’s holiday party. It was wheat berries mixed with cranberries, long grain rice and some other yummy veggies and herbs. And your Autumn Maple Bacon pizza sounds DELISH! Good luck :)

Courtney January 15, 2009 at 5:10 pm

Wow, what foods HAVEN’T I tried after seeing them on food blogs? Honestly, I started eating and loving oatmeal after seeing it every day [and so beautifully!] on Kath’s blog. I tried navy beans after hearing her rave about them as well. I’ve been all around more experimental in the kitchen, and finding that I truly love cooking since reading/starting my own food blog! I’m even thinking about going to culinary school after finishing my bachelor’s degree!

Courtney January 15, 2009 at 5:12 pm

Oh I’ve also tried cottage cheese after seeing it all over, and now I eat it in EVERYTHING, and I had never even seen Larabars, Clif Bars, or the equivalents in stores until I went looking for them because I HAD to try them. Unfortunately, the stores around here must not sell many of them, because they only sell a couple of flavors. I’ll find more eventually!