• Oatmeal Raisin Bars

August 18, 2008

Yum! Even Mal liked these Oatmeal Raisin Bars! Usually, he thinks my baked goods taste “too healthy,” which is sometimes true (usually my recipes don’t have enough fat and sugar for his liking), but tonight, I finally made a healthy non-healthy-tasting treat!

Oatmeal Raisin Bars
    Makes 9 bars
    2 cups dry oats
    3/4 cup all-purpose flour
    1/2 cup packed brown sugar
    1/2 cup canola oil
    2 eggs
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1 cup raisins
    1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 8-inch square baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
    2. In a large mixing bowl, combine ingredients until smooth.
    3. Spread batter in prepared baking pan, and bake for approximately 25-30 minutes until bars are cooked all the way through.
    4. Let bars cool completely in pan before cutting.
    Hot and fresh right out of the oven…
    Dinner tonight was a open-face BLT with ground pepper and a salad with lettuce, tomatoes, snap peas, red onions, almond slices, and a scoop of Claire’s relish. All of those veggies filled me right up!
    Dinner from above with iced water…
    Time for some reading in bed. I’m sleeping in tomorrow! Yay! :)

Spring it!

VeggieGirl August 18, 2008 at 6:13 pm

Mmm, Oatmeal Raisin Bars?!?!?!?! FABULOUS!!

Enjoy sleeping in tomorrow!! You deserve it after the crazy-busy day you had today, for sure.

Lauren August 18, 2008 at 6:28 pm

Haha… my fiance says the same thing about some of my healthy cookies/muffins/breads. He refers to them as “Laurenized” or “Breeckerized ” (Breecker is my last name) baked goods. He’s coming around to developing a taste for healthy foods though! I will definitely have to try these bars…I LOVE your pumpkin muffins, so I’m sure these will be awesome too.

HangryPants August 18, 2008 at 6:33 pm

I love tricking friends and family with healthy baked goods and these will definitely do the trick. Thanks for the recipe.

Caitlin August 18, 2008 at 6:59 pm

have a good sleep! those cookies look amazing 😀

Erica August 19, 2008 at 4:03 am

mmmm the bars look delicious! I love oat based bars! Glad you get to sleep in today- enjoy it!

Sammie August 19, 2008 at 4:12 am

The bars sound really yummy. Do you think reducing the oil would make them come out a bit too dry? I tend to use less oil and add some natural applesauce – what do you think would work for this recipe? I think my husband would eat these too. Thanks!! I hope you are well rested in the AM.

Lauren August 19, 2008 at 4:54 am

I often make the same substitution for muffins and breads. When it comes to cookies, it hasn’t always worked to use applesauce in place of oil, but maybe it would if you prefer soft to crunchy cookies. I’m also currently loving “Evaporated cane juice” (found it at Whole Foods) in place of sugar in recipes – it looks like sugar, but is less refined. It’s worth a try!

Sammie August 19, 2008 at 5:31 am

Thanks Lauren, I will look for Evaporated Cane Juice next time I go to WF.

Tina August 19, 2008 at 5:47 am

LOVE your evaporated cane juice idea! Thank you!

Erica August 19, 2008 at 7:00 pm

Totally made these tonight :) Posting about it later!! You’re the best!

fitzalan August 20, 2008 at 4:23 pm

Those bars may be the first thing that has seemed appetizing to me all day. Now if only I could get the husband to make them for me.

ashley August 21, 2008 at 7:07 am

So I finally made these bars. To mine I added two soft bananas and one scoop of vanilla protein powder. Mine are probably thicker than yours, but they are GOOD! Thanks for posting this recipe! :)

Erin F. February 9, 2009 at 6:05 pm

Great site, Tina!! I found it linked on the GPhiB website and had to check it out.

I made the Oatmeal Raisin bars and the Mango Chicken this weekend, and both were very easy to make and tasted amazing. The bars disappeared within 24 hours and I’ve already had a couple people ask for the recipe. It’s also a great one for substitutes if you don’t mind using fake eggs and/or splenda. Subbing both wasn’t at all detrimental to the taste or consistency.

I’m looking forward to trying some of the other recipes!

Marie P. February 14, 2009 at 10:40 pm

I made these immediately after reading this recipe! I added about 1/2 cup of chopped pecans and used light olive oil instead of canola oil. These are amazing, thank you so much for the recipe! My family loved them.

Jaime February 16, 2009 at 11:30 am

I made these last night. Soooo dense and yummy. I used double the cinnamon and added a pinch of nutmeg. Thank you!! I foresee myself using this recipe to make granola-type bars in the future…mmmmmm, can you imagine these with pumpkin seeds, or flax seeds, or nuts? Yummmmm!

Amanda Murphy(Allen) February 16, 2009 at 1:38 pm

Hey Tina…I saw your mom today and she gave me your blog information…I Love It! but I am not sure how you find time to do it! I am going to make the Oatmeal Raisin Bars sound Yummy!

Amanda July 8, 2009 at 7:40 pm

Yum – I made these tonight. I added some flax to make them a little healthier and they still tasted great. Next time I’m adding cranberries. Thanks for sharing all your great ideas.

Laura September 9, 2009 at 12:54 pm

I LOVE these bars! Based on a suggestion from my husband, I added the zest of one lemon, two tablespoons of fresh lemon juice and a cup of cranberries. They are a great variation off the original recipe.

Chanelle January 9, 2010 at 9:31 pm

oh don’t worry… I’m OBSESSED with just about ALL the different Housewives shows! So much drama!

Rhonda January 19, 2010 at 12:48 pm

All this stuff looks great!! Where can I find the caloric content of all these fabulous/heathy snacks. Thanks

Roz March 29, 2010 at 12:07 am

These bars sounds delicious but when I put in Spark Recipe Builder it came to 300-350cal per bar? That seems pretty high…did I do something wrong?

Dineen April 19, 2010 at 12:27 pm

I am making these this afternoon! My toddler daughter has been balking at typical breakfast foods and I have been looking at cookie recipes to get healthy grains and fruit into her. This looks like just the ticket.

Maria runningcupcake June 19, 2010 at 3:52 pm

I love your recipes they all look amazing! I too adore baking and am always looking for more recipes to try. I have tried your oatmeal raisin bars (only I changed them to dark chocolate chip bars) and they are so good! Who needs loads of butter? These are so good! If you want to see it is here:http://runningcupcake.co.uk/2010/06/perfect-running-weather/
    (I did link to your site :) )Keep up the super baking!

SIMI July 27, 2010 at 11:52 am

Would you know how many calories a serving is? and how much is a serving haha

Erica January 18, 2015 at 3:23 pm

FYI I still make this recipe :)