• 30 Minute Elliptical Workout

August 2, 2008

Time: 30 minutes (or 50 min. if you repeat minutes 5 – 25)

Workout Intensity: High
    21 – 22 4
    22 – 23 12
    23 – 24 10
    24 – 25 4
    25 – 30 3 (cool down)

Jillian August 3, 2008 at 7:06 pm

i was always under the impression that a high resistance caused you to build muscle rather than burn. i tend to keep the elliptical resistance around 5. any thoughts?

Tina August 4, 2008 at 6:12 am

Jillian,

Any sort of resistance exercise will help you build muscle. An elliptical builds muscle just through the cardiovascular exercise that is involved. Higher resistance workouts will help you build muscle the best– as you set higher resistance levels, you have to push harder to get your full stride in.
    Of course, the elliptical will also help you burn calories and fat. Because of the continuous movement, you are constantly burning calories and turning them into muscle.

Jessie August 4, 2008 at 6:22 am

How many calories does that burn, for you?

Tina August 4, 2008 at 6:31 am

Jessie,

Hmmmm… I’m not sure. I don’t really keep track of my exercise calories. I guess around 250-300 for 30 minutes.

Sarah August 4, 2008 at 6:36 am

Thanks Tina, I am always looking for ways to change up my routine. I plan to use this one today! :)

Anonymous September 11, 2008 at 12:25 pm

Tina,
    I just tried this routine, and it was awesome! I ran 3 miles and then jumped on the ET as a 30-minute “cooldown,” but this was definitely tough! What a great workout… keep ‘em coming! :D
    -Elina

Dori February 27, 2009 at 9:14 am

I did this last night for the first time (along with making your sweet potato fries, you inspired me entire evening!) and it was a great workout – I wasn’t bored at all. Thanks so much

Kelly March 16, 2009 at 10:09 pm

Do you by any chance have any stair climbing workouts to be done on the stairmaster, if so can you email me one or post. Thanks so much! I love your blog!

Ruthanne June 30, 2009 at 11:05 am

Everything I’ve read talks about intensity levels so I am assuming that at different levels I need to keep my heart rate up at the same level no matter what level, is that correct?

Rebecca July 28, 2009 at 10:50 am

I’m going to print this out and try it today!! Thanks!

Kris August 20, 2009 at 6:45 pm

I have been using the elliptical for 3 weeks now for 60mins aday.but I can tell that my legs are sore and larger than I like.I am trying to firm my legs and rear.I just though that I would burn fat and in return build muscle.I dont want bigger legs.please help.

Habersham August 26, 2009 at 5:58 pm

I only have 15min per day to workout and I have the old style eliptical with a broken knob so there is only one speed. I use the machine every morning before I go to work. I feel good after I get off the machine and I’m full of sweat my clothes would be soak with sweat, after I do the machine I do 100 sit up. mind you I’m 270 lbs trying to lose weight please dont discurage me sorry about the spelling

Lindsay January 5, 2010 at 4:30 pm

I’m trying this out tonight, everyone’s comments have been so inspiring!!

Honor February 20, 2011 at 9:33 am

Did this workout this morning and I loove it! I wasn´t really in the mood when I went to the gym but as soon as I began the workout the time flew by. I´ll definitely do it again!!

Katy May 12, 2011 at 1:58 pm

Tina,

This workout looks awesome! One question, what incline do you use during this? Love your blog!!

Thanks,
    Katy

Tina January 5, 2012 at 9:55 am

@Katy: I usually switch between 9 – 12.

Sole E35 June 30, 2011 at 7:41 am

Thanks. I am trying this out tonight.

Anton July 29, 2011 at 5:13 pm

i’ve been doing this one for the past few months and getting nice results:

0-1 Warm Up (Level 2)
    2-4 Warm Up (Level 4)
    5-15 Run (Level 2, Moderate to Fast pace)
    16-25 Interval (Level 4 for one minute, walking & Level 2 for one minute, Fast / Sprint pace)
    26-30 Run (Level 2, Moderate to Fast pace)
    31-35 Cool-Down (Level 2-4)

Christine January 5, 2012 at 9:32 am

This workout is magic! I nearly always get bored on the elliptical, but I tried this workout yesterday and was blown away by how fast it went by! Oh and it kicked my butt, especially towards the end. Thanks for a great one!

Tina January 5, 2012 at 9:55 am

@Christine: Nice! I’m so glad you liked it!

lori August 17, 2012 at 1:47 pm

I just did this workout and it was amazing, tough but worth it . I burned 480 calories.

Tina August 17, 2012 at 1:52 pm

Nice job! :)

Clinton Walker III January 15, 2013 at 3:33 pm

The elliptical machine can a very effective way to burn calories. The key is the intensity level just like in the example. I often see people get on the elliptical day after day at the same level and stride speed. This is how you use an elliptical machine and keep your body challenged.