• 45-Minute Treadmill Workout

February 20, 2008

This is one of my favorite workouts– both the running and walking! These are awesome, especially if you get bored out of your mind on the treadmill like I do. This morning, I did the walking workout, followed by 30 minutes of free weights (back and biceps).

45-MINUTE TREADMILL WORKOUT
    Burn up to 450 calories walking or 550 calories running with this 45-minute treadmill workout from Jeanette Soloma at Crunch Fitness. You’ll mix up the inclines and speed to increase your heart rate and sculpt legs and butt.
    Minutes Walk
    35:00-38:00 4.5 / 2% 6.5 / 2% 8
    38:00-40:00 4.0 / 2% 5.5 / 2% 6
    40:00-45:00 3.5-3 / 1% 4.5-3.5 / 1% 4-5

Karen February 20, 2008 at 8:31 am

Love it! Thanks.

couchcubicle.com February 20, 2008 at 9:18 am

I like these workouts too because you’re so busy switching things back and forth, the time seems to go by faster. I usually do intervals – 1% incline, alternating one minute walking at 4.0 and one minute running at 9.0. It’s HARD.

Ashley February 20, 2008 at 11:56 am

Do you hold on to the handle or pump your arms when you’re doing the increased incline segments?

Jenn February 20, 2008 at 11:57 am

I didn’t know that you could burn that many calories just walking. I did a varied routine on my treadmill that it automatically sets and after 40 minutes it told me I only burned 180 calories. Keep in mind that I kept the pace above 5 for most of my workout, spent a decent amount of time in the 6s and 7s jogging. Just goes to show how you can’t rely on machines to calculate your calories accurately.

Tina February 20, 2008 at 12:13 pm

Hi Jenn,

I agree. I think it would be tough to burn that many calories walking for 45 minutes. I found this workout out years ago, and it claims burning 450 calories in 45 minutes…which would probably be possible if you were running.

Tina February 20, 2008 at 12:14 pm

Hi Ashley,

I usually pump my arms when I am on the increased inclines. I try not to hold on the handle.

Hil January 10, 2009 at 1:33 pm

I just stumbled on this from Eating Bender, and it looks great! I can’t run regularly due to a chronic injury in my foot, so having a challenging walk workout for the treadmill would be great. Thanks!

Lisa January 14, 2009 at 12:53 pm

My treadmill said I burned 460 cals for the walking workout. Obviously seems a little high. Anyone have a better estimate of calories burned for the walking workout? Maybe 200? (I know it will depend on body type and experience of the person exercising but I’m just looking for a ballpark figure.)

Dori January 15, 2009 at 10:47 am

I did the running workout last night, and I LOVED it! The speed intervals in the 20s really make it awesome.

I wore my Polar F7 and I burned 406 calories running exactly according to the instuctions here, so if anyone was curious, that is my stat as a 25 year old female doing the running workout. The run was 4 miles.

Katy January 21, 2009 at 9:19 pm

Thanks SO much for posting this workout! I’ve seen lots of fitness bloggers try it out, but I’m usually an outdoor runner. Today it was too cold, so I decided to give this one a try.

I loved it!! I just posted a shoutout to you on my blog:

Thanks again!

Joanne January 23, 2009 at 9:21 am

Great! I’m always looking for new treadmill workouts since 4 days a week I’m on it .. even more since the snow and cold has put a crimp in my running outside. It does get boring. Good workout! Great job!

Miriam October 5, 2009 at 2:33 pm

Can’t wait to try this (tonight), just printed it! BTW, I love your website, i’m a gourmet healthy eater and a regular at the gym, I also prone balanced lifestyle :) and I am always interested for new training ideas and meals. I found your website very well done and love the infos that you share!

There is a theadmill workout that I like a lot and that I will like to share. I believe it is good for someone who wants to improve his cardio or someone who get bored easily on a treadmill (!) :
    You start up with 5 mins fast-walking at 4, then you run for another 5 minutes : 1 minute at 5, 1 minute at 6, 1 minute at 7, 1 minute at 8, 1 minute at 9 (if you can’t, do 2 minutes at 8 and skip the 9) = 10 minutes, repeat this 3 or 4 times (30 or 40 minutes) on a row and finish up with 5 minutes fast-walking. You can also start fast walking at 3 for 5 minutes and then go up until 8 (which was the original workout but I though walking at 3 was way too slow).

Stacy November 11, 2009 at 1:00 pm

Thanks! I’m going to add this to my mix.

Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers January 3, 2010 at 8:59 am

awesome! i wanna print this out for my next workout!

Lisa Gallagher January 13, 2010 at 3:47 pm

I’m a runner and brought this workout to the gym with me, good workout but modified it to stay at the higher mph for longer periods and shortened the warm-up to 3 minutes. Since my treadmill automatically does a cool down, I modified the last 5 minutes to 5.5 – 7 mph. Burned approx 450 calories at ran about 4.25 miles. May add more incline next time.
    Time flys by because you keep adjusting the settings!

Heather January 14, 2010 at 9:33 am

im glad you linked to this again today- i know you talk about this workout often, but i’ve never actually looked at it.

ive been doing lots of interval workouts on the treadmill this month, and usually i just create them before leaving for the gym, write them on a post it that i can then stick to the treadmill. I LOVE this one- its a bit more intense than mine which is a GREAT THING. Time to step it up :)

Angela January 19, 2010 at 2:19 pm

Hi, I’m wondering what RPE means? I’m a newbie at this whole treadmill think and I want to try this out.

claire February 25, 2010 at 9:15 pm

Hi Tina! I’m not a foodie blogger (yet) but I’ve been getting thoroughly inspired by yours and others over the past few months. To make a long story short, I came across this workout and gave it a try! It was great! I live in Ohio and the winters really suck – so I’m stuck with a treadmill for many months which can get very boring. This flew by, and I felt great afterwards. I may end up upping the speeds a little bit (I’m 5’11”, so my stride is a bit different that most!) to make it more challenging. Thanks for posting!!!

Andrea March 8, 2010 at 12:06 pm

Wish I could do this. I had spine surgery and can’t go above 3.2 for now. Look forward to doing this when I am ready though.

Kelsey March 19, 2010 at 4:18 pm

Wow, I just completed the walking version of this last night~what a great workout. Those 45 minutes just FLEW by! I definitely burned more calories with this than from some of my running workouts. Thanks for the recommendation!

Shane April 19, 2010 at 1:43 pm

replying to #3: You are supposed to pump your arms. Grasping the hand bars indicates you’re doing too much for your pace. If you can’t pump your arms, take a slower pace. Pumping your arms also helps up the calorie burn.

kandy April 28, 2010 at 11:23 am

Pretty impressive post. I just came across your site and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your opinions. Any way I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon.

kandy May 18, 2010 at 1:39 am

Been reading your excellent blog for quite a few weeks now, and i am enjoying many of your excellent topics.

Lynn July 13, 2010 at 7:32 am

I’m new to all of this having been a couch potato for waaaayyyyyy too long. I’m approaching my 60th birthday and am re-designing my next 60 years in many different ways, fitness being A-#1. I tried this workout (walking…running later…much later…) and LOVE it. I have become obsessive with training and spend 5 days a week in the gym pushing myself and getting stronger, healthier, more vibrant and alert and just plain all over feeling so much better!!!
    Thank you for this one, Tina. It’s a real keeper!!!!!

Jenny July 24, 2010 at 9:00 pm

I haven’t been trying to go vegetarian or vegan because I was pregnant, but now I’m really excited to put down the meat and animal by-products. My husband is a little harder to convince, but I think when I show him the “chicken video” he’ll get it!
    -Jenny
    Digital Shipping Scales

PAULA July 30, 2010 at 4:59 pm

I DID THE WALKING WORKOUT AND BURNED 500 CALORIES!!!! I AM STOKED AND LOVE THIS WORKOUT!!! <3

Rene October 7, 2010 at 1:46 pm

I’ve been doing the walking workout since March 2010 – I had a blast! I excelled so much with the walking that I tried the running workout. But it was intense for me…I can only finish the first half. I love the routines no matter what. I’m now doing circuits but still incorporating the walking workout.

Many thanks!

Jeanette Soloma-Hale October 30, 2010 at 10:48 am

THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!!!!

I’ve started revamping my website and came across this post of a Treadmill workout that I created some time back. I’m so excited to see soooo many people benefiting from it!!!

Thank you Tina for having such a wonderful blog and sharing!!!!!! :o)

Wish you were all able to come to my Treadmill Classes at CRUNCH LA.
    They are so much more fun and time always FLYS BY!

Be well….much health and laughter,

Jeanette :o)

BTW….Rene, good for you for continuing to do the walking part!! Sometimes, due to injuries/or degenerative joints, it is best for us to always walk verses run. However, sometimes it just takes consistency and eventually begin to incorporate a little running and you will continue to improve. Good Luck!!!

Sylvia White November 22, 2010 at 10:11 pm

Hey there this really is an incredible publish. I’m going to e-mail this to my pals. I arrived on this although exploring on aol I’ll make sure to come back. thanks for sharing.

surround sound speakers November 30, 2010 at 6:23 pm

Seriously, I don’t believe that I could have written something far better myself. Definitely one of probably the most complete coverages of this subject that I have identified online.

Satin Shoes December 10, 2010 at 1:14 am

Would you thoughts if I did a follow up post to yours here on my weblog? I’d be pleased to link back to this post if you’d like.

Ugomma January 10, 2011 at 2:45 pm

Hi! Ok so its been almost 3 years since you made this post, but I had to make a comment. I found this routine while doing a random Google search for workout recommendations and I did the walking routine today during my lunch break and WOW, talk about a workout!!! It was great! It kinda tricked me becasue during the first 2-3 intervals i was thinking I should switch to running, but by the time the 6th interval came, I was winded! This workout will definitly help me build up endurance for the running version and help me in my weight loss goal to look FABULOUS in 2011!

Thanks for this post!

Sara February 10, 2011 at 3:11 pm

When you say incline %, do you mean the level on the treadmill?
    Does 1% incline = Level 1 on a standard treadmill?
    Thanks!
    Looking forward to trying this workout tonight :)

Tina February 10, 2011 at 3:17 pm

I’m actually not sure. The default on the treadmills at my gym is 0.0, so I increase it to 1.0.

Cara May 1, 2011 at 5:40 am

This is one of my favorite workouts! I just posted about it on my blog! thanks you! :)

Christie July 15, 2011 at 2:05 pm

This is just what I needed! This may be a dumb question, but do you know how many miles the running workout will take you to? I’m just curious, because my 1/2 marathon training schedule has me doing 5 miles today, and I want to just run on a treadmill because it is back to being effing HOT outside today.

Jen July 16, 2012 at 9:49 am

WOW! I started going to the gym before work. I’m a runner and HATE the treadmill, so this is awesome!! I printed out your workout and I’m gonna pound it out 445 :). Thanks!! Nice blog