Good morning! I hope everyone had a lovely Valentine’s Day!
Mal and I celebrated with an early dinner at Scarlet Oak Tavern. We actually weren’t planning to do anything for the holiday, but then we forgot to use a gift certificate that we received for Christmas the last time we dined at Scarlet Oak, so we gave ourselves an "excuse" to visit again for Valentine’s Day. Hey, whatever works, right? 🙂
Mal and I met at the bar and then ordered a round of drinks to start.
While we looked over the menu, we caught up with the day and then exchanged Valentine's Day cards. We kept things simple this year and promised each other we’d ONLY exchange cards. Mal and I both have a history of saying we’re not going to buy each other gifts for special occasions, only to “surprise” each other with an actual present. We BOTH kept our promise this year!
Mal's card was super sweet and played off his math "abilities." Well, lack of math abilities... let's just say it's a good thing he's a history teacher! Haha!
My card played off Quinn's recent obsession with comparisons. His current favorite is: "Big, bigger, BIGGEST," which he yells at the top of his lungs, so this card was perfect. (Inside it said "HAPPIEST!") Mal loved it.
After we exchanged cards, we shared our favorite romantic moments from our relationship. I initially suggested creating a Top 10 list, but neither of us could come up with that many! Ha! It was actually pretty hilarious and just goes to show you how un-romantic we are. Obviously, we love each other like crazy, but I guess the whole romance thing just isn't our style. I dunno. We're happy and it works for us! 🙂 Anyway, Mal and I manged to come up with five things for our list.
Our Top Romantic Moments
- Our engagement weekend in New York City. Mal totally surprised me with an engagement, and we had such a nice time wandering around the city that weekend. Now NYC, especially around the holidays, is a special place for us.
- The Infinity Bar on our honeymoon. My gosh it was beautiful. The chef even came out to introduce himself and made us a special dessert. It was definitely a romantic evening.
- Dinner at Morimoto when we visited Oahu. It was an unforgettable meal, and we had such a great time. What a night!
- Our first real date after Quinn was born. It was a whirlwind few months with a newborn, so it was a much-needed night out for a number of reasons!
- When I was 41 weeks pregnant, standing in the kitchen of our old house in the middle of the night eating egg sandwiches on hamburger buns because my water had just broken. Everyone told me to eat something before going to the hospital, so Mal whipped up a couple of sandwiches for us. I don’t even think he was all that hungry, but he ate an egg sandwich with me anyway. I remember looking at Mal and thinking: Holy cow, THIS IS IT. This is the last time it's just us.
After that, our cheese plate arrived and we dug right in. Oh, how I love a good cheese plate!
For my entree, I went with my go-to dish from Scarlet Oak: Salmon Caesar Salad. It's seriously the best.
Obligatory date night pic! 🙂
Question of the Day
On a scale of 1-10 (10 being super duper romantic), how romantic do you consider yourself/your partner/your relationship?