- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup tomato juice (V8 or Spicy V8 work well)
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp dried crushed red pepper
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 cup bulgur**
- 1 10-ounce package frozen corn, thawed, drained
- 3 large plum tomatoes, seeded, deiced
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 1 small green bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 small cucumber, peeled, seeded, finely diced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 5 tbsp canola or olive oil
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- Dash of Tabasco
Combine first 6 ingredients in medium saucepan. Bring to boil. Stir in bulgur. Remove from heat, cover, and let sit 1 hour until bulgur is tender, liquid is absorbed, and mixture is at room temperature.
Fluff bulgur with fork. Transfer to large bowl. Add corn, tomatoes, onion, bell pepper, and cucumber and toss gently. Whisk oil, cilantro, vinegar, garlic, and Tabasco in medium bowl. Pour over vegetable/bulgur mixture. Toss to coat. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and additional hot sauce (if desired). Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour to allow flavors to blend. Serve at room temperature. (I always double the recipe if I’m bringing to a cook-out.)Enjoy!!
** You can find bulgur in the rice aisle near the couscous.
** Recipe also works well with Quinoa!