According to author and Health educator Anne-Louise Gittleman, “Symptoms like depression, mood swings, and even weight gain may have just as much to do with your diet as with perimenopause itself. These symptoms often seem to go away by themselves when you switch to a blood sugar or hormone-balancing eating plan.” It’s important to chose the right carbs to ease perimenopause symptoms.
All carbohydrates, simple and complex, get converted by the body into glucose. Glucose fuels the body but it’s also responsible for spiking blood sugar.
The difference between simple and complex carbs is the rate at which they impact blood sugar. Simple carbohydrates rapidly convert into glucose and trigger a sharp rise in blood sugar, which triggers a sharp rise in insulin, and then fat storage of any excess. This is one reason why people who eat low-fat, high-carb diets gain weight even though they aren’t eating a lot of fat.
In perimenopause and menopause, the change in hormones actually shifts the way that the body is able to handle carbohydrates. Estrogen is no as abundant, and it’s estrogen that helps offset insulin and keep glucose from being turned into fat. Interestingly, we know that fat is metabolically active (produces estrogen), so one reason the body may make fat storage easier is to provide menopausal women with an alternate source of estrogen!
Choose carbs wisely to ease perimenopause symptoms
What to do? Gittleman suggests moving away from a low-fat diet of 55 percent carbohydrates, 20 percent protein, and 25 percent (or less) fats toward a hormone-regulating diet of 40 percent carbohydrates, 30 percent protein, and 30 percent fats. The result should be more stable blood sugar (which eases mood imbalance, anxiety, depression and inflammation) and less excess carbs being turned into body fat!
Do you need help figuring out how to make balanced meals and optimize your hormones in perimenopause? Once again, it’s important to choose the right carbs to ease perimenopause symptoms.
I gotchu, boo.
Join the Perimenopause Crash Course
The Perimenopause Crash Course is a 4-week, holistic approach that balances your hormones, sheds unwanted hormonal weight, and reclaims your energy.
You know that hormones play a HUGE role in weight gain, but you don’t know how to balance them.
You might feel tired all the time, or like you can’t seem to shake that last 5-10 pounds.
You’ve probably tried every diet and weight loss program out there, but you still can’t seem to lose weight.
It’s not your fault.
What you really need is:
- Clarity around the foods, nutrition, and support your body needs to shed hormonal weight and alleviate symptoms
- A program to help you identify the foods wreaking havoc on your hormones and throwing your body completely out of balance
- Support and guidance to be able to stay committed to the program, remain inspired and feel encouraged every single step of the way
- A plan on what to eat and how to cook healthier meals more easily even if you’re busy
- Resources to keep you focused and develop your understanding of how your body interacts with the food you eat and the world around you, so you can make better choices that support your hormonal balance
- Tried-and-true protocols that match your symptoms and help you feel better quickly
If you’re ready to optimize your hormones and navigate perimenopause with confident and grace, this program is for you! Grab all of the details HERE!