With the Thanksgiving holiday just days away, next week is probably a short week for you with regard to meal prep. I know that for me, when I know I’m traveling or have a holiday coming up, I need to adjust my meal prep plan. Even just prepping a few items can make all the difference when it comes to healthy eating, but, of course, you don’t want to waste food either. That said, here are a few tips and tricks to make the most of your meal prep during a holiday week.
1. Keep it simple – For real. Pick one protein and/or one super versatile recipe, like Crockpot Shredded Chicken, Chicken Sausage + Roasted Veggies, or One-Pan Taco Skillet, and call it a day. The last thing you want is a fridge full of prepped food when you leave to visit family or have one million leftovers after Thanksgiving dinner!
2. Prep your breakfasts – Make and prep the exact number of breakfasts you need for the week. Only have 3 workdays? Make 3 batches of overnight oats or only buy 3 containers of yogurt for the week. No need to buy extras!
3. Keep produce purchases to a minimum – Spoiled produce is truly the saddest thing ever. I really hate to see food go to waste, so I typically under-buy when there’s a short week, so nothing goes to waste.
4. Rely on your freezer – Out of fresh produce or meat? No worries! Dig into your freezer (or pantry) for healthy options. I love frozen veggies in a weird way and utilize them ALL the time. Check out some of my favorite ways to use them! I also love Banza chickpea pasta for a high-protein, easy, and delicious meal – just add some frozen broccoli florets! 🙂
5. Be flexible – Instead of creating a strict meal plan, keep a framework in mind. That way, you can use up what’s in your fridge and not worry about wasting food or money. Speaking of flexible meal plans, have you checked out my Weekly Macro Meal Plans yet? It’s a great option for meal planning and macro tracking! (Additional details tomorrow!)
Question of the Day
What are your favorite tips and tricks for meal prep during a short holiday week?