Good morning and happy Friday!
Here’s another fabulous pug costume to add to my collection of funny Halloween pug costumes! Thanks, Marrisa! I love the little hat. So cute! Haha!
This morning, I couldn’t decide what I wanted for breakfast. I had a craving for something cool and creamy, but I also wanted some maple peanut butter. In the end, I had a little bit of everything: Greek yogurt with Paleo granola, a piece of toast with banana slices and Mighty Maple peanut butter, and a berry smoothie made with mixed berries and some pomegranate juice. It was delicious.
Readers often ask me how I decide what I am going to eat on a daily basis, so I thought I’d highlight how I come up with my meals and snacks. Here’s what guides my choices:
- Cravings: Cravings are my #1 reason for choosing what I eat. As clichÃ© as it might sound, I really do listen to my body and what it wants to eat. Of course, it’s not always healthy, so I balance my splurges with more nutritious choices as much as possible.
- What we have in our fridge: I hate to see food go to waste, so what’s in our fridge and perishable almost always dictates what I am going to eat.
- Protein + fruit and/or veggies: My meal planning always starts with selecting a form of protein and then adding fruit and/or veggies to it. I finish off my meal planning with some healthy fat (and sometimes some more carbs) for a well-balanced meal. Reminder: Fruit and veggies are carbs.
- I try to “balance” my meals: For example, if I eat a carb-heavy breakfast, I’ll go lighter on them at lunch and dinner. Similarly, if I splurge at breakfast””say brunch””I’ll go lighter at my next meal to balance out the calories. I never skip meals””simply because I love to eat and I get cranky when I don’t eat””but I’ll scale back a little, especially if I’m not super hungry. I also try to balance my food groups, so, for example, if I don’t eat any vegetables at breakfast or lunch, I will eat a big salad for dinner. I do the best I can with balancing my meals, but if I eat crap all weekend, I don’t worry about it. Honestly, I enjoy it and then get back on track on Monday. No big deal.
- I consider my workouts: If I’m about to go for a run or to CrossFit, I’ll eat a carb-y snack with a little bit of protein and fat beforehand. (Usually, it’s a banana with nut butter.) After my workout, I don’t typically drink a protein shake (unless I’m in the mood), but I will make sure to eat lunch or dinner right away, which is usually heavier on the protein and carbs with some fat mixed in.
Health News & Views
Feeling blah about your upcoming workout? Hey, it happens to the best of us.
Instead of trudging along and going through the motions, try one of these easy ideas for energizing your workout. You’ll get more out of your sweat session, which means better and faster results!
Question of the Day
How do you decide what to eat?
P.S. You can get 15% off JUNK bands with code cnc15 at checkout. The code is good through Monday, October 14, 2013. Happy shopping!