Alternate title: The Breakfast Bake We’re Totally Obsessed With.
It’s true. Ever since we first tasted the Cheesy Tater Tot Breakfast Bake from Chew Out Loud, we were obsessed. In fact, I’ve made this recipe so many times now, I have it memorized. Although, I’ve changed it quite a bit over the past several weeks to fit with our own personal taste preferences, so I thought it was time to finally share it on CNC. My version of the Hash Brown Breakfast Bake is super easy to throw together, especially if you’re into meal prep. Make a Hash Brown Breakfast Bake at the start of the week and just reheat in the morning! Easy-peasy!
My version adds two extra eggs, nixes the ground sausage and bacon, reduces the amount of shredded cheese, and mixes in chopped bell peppers and onions, which, in Mal’s and my opinion, totally makes the dish. Every Sunday, I whip up one of these Hash Brown Breakfast Bakes for us to eat all week. I hope you guys love it as much as we do! (We are obsessed.)
- 1.75 pounds frozen tater tots or 6 ounces frozen hash brown patties
- 5 large eggs
- 1.75 cups of whole milk (1.5 cups if you use hash brown patties)
- 3/4 cup finely diced peppers and onions (I throw them in a food processor)
- 1.5 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Whisk together eggs, milk, peppers, onions, onion powder, pepper, and salt.
- Spread 1 cup of the shredded cheese on the bottom of a baking pan. (Add more cheese if you like your egg bakes really cheesy! I also recommend pushing a little extra into the corners of the pan. OMG, it’s so good when it melts!)
- Pour egg mixture into dish.
- Layer with tater tots. (If not you’re not baking it right away, cover with foil and chill in fridge until the next morning.)
- To make this recipe even easier, you can use frozen hash brown patties instead of tater tots. (I buy the ones from Trader Joe’s.) When I use the patties, I typically use a little less milk (1.5 cups) to give the dish a bit more of firm, egg-y texture.
- Bake for 35 minutes. Remove from oven and top with 1/2 cup shredded cheese.
- Bake for another 20-25 minutes until top is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and serve.
- Serving Size: 1/8 recipe
- Calories: 190
- Sugar: 3g
- Fat: 12g
- Carbohydrates: 10g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 10g
Keywords: hash brown breakfast bake
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Whisk together eggs, milk, peppers, onions, onion powder, pepper, and salt.
Pour egg mixture into dish.
Bake for 35 minutes. Remove from oven and top with 1/2 cup shredded cheese.
Bake for another 20-25 minutes until top is golden brown.
Remove from oven and serve!
We store this Hash Brown Breakfast Bake (covered) in the refrigerator for about 5 days and then just reheat a piece in the microwave in the morning.
Recipe makes 8 servings.