After being away all weekend and only doing a small grocery shopping the week before, the food situation in our kitchen looked rather bleak this morning.
We didn’t even have bananas! Oh, the horror. (The tube in the background is Murphy‘s toothpaste!)
We had a little bit of food to work with, so I whipped up a French toast egg bake with (frozen) blueberries. Mal won’t usually eat the heels of the bread loaf (unless he’s desperate) and no food goes to waste in our house, so I chopped them up and incorporated them into the egg bake along with some almond milk, sliced almonds, vanilla extract, brown sugar, and cinnamon. And, I have to admit, for not having much food in the house, it actually turned out really well!
Blueberry French Toast Bake
Makes 6 squares
- 2 slices of bread, cut into chunks
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup blueberries (fresh or defrosted frozen)
- 2/3 cup almond milk
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Whisk together eggs, almond milk, brown sugar, vanilla extract, and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl.
- Add bread and blueberries. Allow bread to soak up liquid.
- Pour mixture into a small, prepared baking dish. Spread chunks of bread around evenly and then sprinkle sliced almonds on top.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until firm to the touch and top is lightly browned.
- Remove from oven and serve immediately with maple syrup or other favorite toppings.
Questions of the Day
What do you do with the heel of the bread? Avoid it? Eat it? Feed it to the birds?