Welcome to another episode of the Carrots ‘N’ Cake Podcast. A common conundrum we hear when working with clients is the challenge of how to deal with sugar cravings. Sugar cravings are super common and something most of us have experienced. Want to understand the why and learn what you can do to conquer them, listen in!
First, I revisit my personal story in dealing with my sweet tooth. I share:
- I was eating little real food and in between meals, I ate cookies, muffins, & chocolate.
- 80% of my diet was sugar and carbs with only 20% being healthy, real food.
- In a counting calories mindset vs quality of food approach.
- Feeling out of control around food. I couldn’t stop eating plates of cookies and whole batches of muffins.
- Woke up craving sugar and even binged on it.
- I was training for a marathon and not properly fueling myself.
Next up, I dive into why sugar is addictive. The highlights include:
- When we consume sugar, we get a natural elevation in our neurotransmitters, aka it makes us feel.
- It triggers dopamine, which is the reward center of our brain.
- It also impacts serotonin, which makes us feel good.
Unfortunately this boost in all those feel good hormones is short-lived. It quickly dissipates and leaves us with less than desirable consequences, such as:
- Excess sugar can cause inflammation in the body.
- It is a stressor on the body.
There are general 3 common themes that I see with clients when it comes to sugar cravings:
- Eating the wrong foods/not a great macro balance: Not enough protein and fiber, tons of carbs. Blood sugar rollercoaster.
- Highs and lows, hypoglycemia reaction.
- HPA-axis dysfunction aka adrenal fatigue: We are burned out, stressed, doing too much, exhausted, tired and wired, fueled by a sugar (and caffeine addiction), makes us crave more.
- Emotional component of sugar: Eating for comfort & to relieve stress.
You’ve probably heard the usual tactics suggested to combat sugar cravings:
- Drink more water
- Brush your teeth
- Get tempting foods out of the house
The goal? To create awareness around what’s going on.
Finally, I share the strategies to eliminate sugar cravings, which include:
- Developing mindfulness around what is going on in life.
- Eat enough quality food!
- Sleep! So important for regulating cravings.
- Reduce stress wherever possible.
- Stay hydrated!
I hope you enjoy this episode and find these tips and tricks helpful to stop feeling like a slave to your sugar cravings. Need more? Download this awesome 7-Day Sugar-Free Meal Plan.
More on my personal struggles with sugar:
Need more nutrition guidance? Sign up for my FREE 5-Day Create Your Nutrition Masterplan Training:
Thrive Market Deal: Get 40% OFF your first order and a FREE gift when you join Thrive Market!:
If you enjoyed this episode, please leave a review and subscribe so you never have to miss an episode!
Comments and questions can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Follow me on Instagram @carrotsncake
Subscribe for the latest updates and free resources.
If you’re looking for a health-minded group of women who want to support and lift you up as you work toward your goals, please consider joining the CNC Lifestyle.
Grab my macro cookbook on Amazon!
Copyright Carrots ‘N’ Cake