I still can’t believe it’s August. How is summer flying by so quickly!? It’s been a whirlwind, so I haven’t been on top of my usual meal prep game. I always make sure to do a little each week, but I really need to get back at it – anyone else need to do the same?
When Mal is back to work in just a few new weeks, it’s nice to have a quickie meal that I can toss together with ingredients I always have on hand. This enchilada casserole recipe came together so quickly and made enough for several meals. I’ve been totally loving its leftovers for breakfast, especially adding an egg and avocado on top. Mmm… so delicious!! Even with it being vegetarian, Mal still found it super filling, and I had no complaints. Of course, I’m sure you can add in ground turkey or choice of protein if you’d like a little more hearty of a dish. I hope you enjoy it!
Easy Black Bean & Potato Enchilada Casserole
Macros: 12P 45C 6F
- 1.5 pounds potatoes of choice (cut into bite-size pieces)
- 1 can (15 ounces black beans, drained + rinsed)
- 12 ounces salsa of choice (I used fire-roasted)
- 4 to rtillas (I used brown rice)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 can (15 ounces tomato sauce)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup water (more if sauce is too thick)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Lightly grease a 13 x 9-inch casserole dish with cooking spray or oil. Place potatoes in the casserole dish and roast for 10 minutes. Stir, add onions to the dish and return to the oven for another 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make sauce in one bowl and mix together beans + salsa in a separate larger bowl.
- Lower oven heat to 350 degrees F.
- When potatoes + onions are finished cooking, pour them into the larger bowl with the beans and salsa.
- Place 2 tortillas on bottom of casserole dish and then pour in potato/bean/salsa mixture. Top with 2 remaining tortillas and then pour sauce all over. Finally, spread cheese on top of sauce.
- Return casserole dish to oven for 20 minutes until cheese is fully melted and lightly browned.
Enjoy solo or add some eggs and avocado for a tasty breakfast!