A great recipe for Double Chocolate Chunk Walnut Cookies from the amazing Skinnytaste cookbook with a sneaky healthy ingredient that you would never guess was in the mix.
I’ve done some crazy, unconventional things in my baking, like adding black beans to fudgy, kid-friendly cookies, but using avocados in place of butter is totally new to me! As crazy as it sounds, it works!
For these chewy Double Chocolate Chunk Walnut Cookies made with chunks of chocolate and walnuts in every bite, there’s absolutely no butter included in the recipe. They honestly taste too good to be true and definitely not semi-healthy. And I promise you can’t taste the avocado at all!
I tested out these cookies on Mal and Quinn and both of them loved them. They had no idea avocado was in the mix and ate them right up! I’m a true chocoholic, and I lovvvve them! FYI: For a gluten-free option, just swap the white whole wheat flour with gluten-free all-purpose flour. I hope you and your family love these Double Chocolate Chunk Walnut Cookies as much as we do!
Double Chocolate Chunk Walnut CookiesPrint
A great recipe from the amazing Skinnytaste cookbook with a sneaky healthy ingredient that you would never guess was in the mix.
Cooking spray or oil mister (optional)
1/2 cup raw sugar
1/3 cup unpacked dark brown sugar
1/4 cup mashed avocado
1 tablespoon unsweetened applesauce
1 large egg white
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup (65 grams) white whole wheat unbleached flour (I recommend King Arthur)
1/3 cup (50 grams) all-purpose flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I use Trader Joe’s)
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chunks
1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 2 regular baking sheets with silicone baking mats (such as Silpats) or lightly spray nonstick baking sheets with oil.
- In a large bowl, using an electric hand mixer, whisk together the sugars, avocado, applesauce, egg white, and vanilla until the sugar dissolves, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk together the flours, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Fold in the dry ingredients with a spatula in two additions. Using a spatula, fold in the chocolate chunks and walnuts. The dough will be very sticky. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate 15 minutes.
- Drop the dough by tablespoonfuls about 1 inch apart onto the prepared baking sheets and smooth the tops.
- Bake until almost set, 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes on the pan, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
- Serving Size: 2
- Fat: 6
- Carbohydrates: 25
- Protein: 2
Keywords: cookies, chocolate, dessert
A big thank you to Gina from Skinnytaste from allowing me to share her Double Chocolate Chunk Cookie recipe from The Skinnytaste Cookbook. It’s truly one of my favorite cookbooks ever! All of the recipes inside are easy to make, don’t require one million hard-to-find ingredients, and tasty great. They’re also nutritious and good for you! Really, if you’re looking to mix up your meals, you need this cookbook in your life! 🙂
Question of the Day
What’s your favorite cookbook?