This recipe is part of my partnership with Grapes from California. It’s definitely a winning summer salad, and I hope you enjoy it!
Now that the warm weather is here and grape season is in full swing (Grapes from California are available May through January and are always ripe and ready-to-eat), it’s never been easier to add these vibrant little orbs to your life, especially when it comes to summer entertaining. Grapes can truly transform meals from ordinary to extraordinary, and their delicate flavor cozies up and enhances everything from salty and spicy to creamy and crunchy recipes, which is why I wanted to create a crowd-pleasing salad for Grapes from California.
Grapes are an ideal healthy mix-in to salads because they add a boost of flavor, texture and nutrition (a serving is an excellent source of vitamin K, contains 7% of the recommended daily intake of potassium and is a natural source of antioxidants and other polyphenols), along with juiciness, brilliant color, and taste. I always love to contribute something to a party spread. It’s fun for me to make a dish, and I know the host appreciates the gesture. I actually brought this Brussels Sprout Salad with Red Grapes, Bacon & Walnuts to my nephew’s recent birthday party and it was gone before I knew it. Everyone loved it!
Additional grape ideas for summer entertaining:
- Mix red grapes with mango, papaya, jalapeño and lime juice to create a super salsa topping for grilled fish.
- Create an Asian chicken salad by tossing grapes with chunks of teriyaki chicken and rings of mini sweet peppers and rice wine vinaigrette.
- Turn up the color and flavor of your favorite tuna salad by adding grapes.
- Add vibrant red grapes to curried chicken salad wraps.
- Try white or dark chocolate-dipped grapes instead of strawberries for a sweet treat.
- Instead of sorbet or ice cream, serve frozen grapes for a lower-calorie option. Simply rinse, pat dry, then pop them into the freezer for two hours.
- Skewer a mix of marinated veggies and beef or chicken and grill. Sub pineapple chunks, peaches, and grapes in place of the vegetables.
- Toss whole grapes (frozen work great, too!) into the blender with yogurt, banana, a handful of spinach, a splash of fruit juice for a stellar smoothie.
Ok, it’s recipe time! This Summer Brussels Sprout Salad with Red Grapes, Bacon & Walnuts combines both sweet and tangy flavors to create a well-balanced side dish. Salty bacon and walnuts enhance the natural juiciness of the grapes while complementing the simple yet tangy vinaigrette made with garlic, honey mustard, oil, and red wine vinegar. The combination of flavors and textures is guaranteed to be a hit at your next summer get-together!
- 2 cups California seedless red grapes
- 20 ounces shredded Brussels sprouts
- 6 pieces of bacon, cooked and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil (for sauteing Brussels sprouts)
- vinaigrette (recipe below)
- 2 tsp honey mustard
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 red wine vinegar
- pinch of salt
In a large saute pan, heat extra-virgin olive oil and Brussels sprouts for about 5 minutes until bright green, stirring frequently. Tip: Do not overcook the Brussels sprouts. You want them to be a little crunchy, but not totally raw.
Meanwhile, in a small mixing bowl, combine ingredients for the vinaigrette.
When Brussels sprouts are bright green and crunchy, transfer them to a large mixing bowl and then add grapes, bacon, walnuts, and vinaigrette.
Combine ingredients and fully coat with the vinaigrette.
Chill salad in the refrigerator until it’s time to serve.
Recipe makes approximately 12 half cup servings.
More healthy and delicious summer grape salads that might be of interest:
- Make-Ahead Grape Tabbouleh Salad
- Cool Cucumber Grape Salad
- Grape and Honey Dew Green Salad with Mint Splash
- Spinach Salad with Grapes and Pancetta
- Chicken Salad with Pecans and Grapes
Question of the Day
What’s your favorite summer recipe that includes grapes?
I love to make a curried chicken salad with rotisserie chicken, curry powder, celery, a bit of mayo, halved red grapes, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Easy and delicious.
This looks so good! Perfect for a hot day. I have done shaved Brussels sprouts in awhile, a trip to TJ’s may be in order to get some.
I was just thinking how I need more salads in my life! When I used to pack my lunch every day I would make all kinds of themed salads all the time now I just throw whatever is in the fridge on top of lettuce and call it good ha ha
This is such a unique salad idea!! I get so bored of the same thing all the time so I need to try this.
Simple frozen grapes are the most delicious and refreshing snack! Love the combination of brussel sprouts and grapes – full of nutrients!
This looks so delicious….can’t wait to make it!
This looks delicious! But who can resist anything with bacon 😉
This looks ridiculously delicious and so perfect for this hot D.C. weather! Making a note to make this!
This recipe is absolutely mouth-watering! Grapes make everything fun!