A New Day In the Life IX {Snow Day}

Mastermind Weekend 1/16

Hey there!

I'm Tina

I’m the owner of Carrots ‘N’ Cake as well as a Certified Nutrition Coach and Functional Diagnostic Nutrition Practitioner (FDN-P). I use macros and functional nutrition to help women find balance within their diets while achieving their body composition goals.


An in-depth, 4-week reverse dieting course for women who feel like their metabolism has slowed down, think they might have hormonal imbalance and can’t lose weight no matter what they do.

Good morning!

We had another snow day and Mal was home from school yesterday, so I thought it would be fun to give you guys a little peak into our day. Here’s another edition of A New Day In The Life!

5:25 AM: I hear Quinn on the baby monitor. He’s on and off crying. Maybe he’ll go back to sleep? Mal let me sleep in until 8:00 AM (!!!!!) on Sunday morning, so it’s definitely my turn to wake up with the peanut.

5:35 AM: I pick up Quinn. Even though he was just crying, he’s still sort of asleep. He puts his head on my shoulder and I rock him back and forth. It seems like he wants to go back to sleep, but as soon as I think this, he pops his head up, enthusiastically reaches for the overhead light, and says “da.” Ok then, he’s up for the day.

5:40 AM: I change Quinn’s diaper and get him dressed for the day since his pajamas were a little wet. (On weekends and snow days, he typically stays in his “jams” a little longer.) He wears overnight diapers, which usually work just fine, but we’ve recently had a few overnight leaks. I heard if you size-up to the next diaper, it usually helps. I just ordered these diapers in a size 4 on Saturday, so they should be here any day now. I hope they work! Side note: We’ve been using Boxed (my review here) to order everything lately, but, sadly, they don’t sell overnight diapers. (If you think shopping for bulk items is a hassle, you should definitely check out Boxed. And you can save $5 off your order with code B8TGW.)

5:45 AM: I put Quinn in his highchair, make a bottle for him and grab some solids from the fridge. On the menu this morning: homemade asparagus and sweet potato. (I seriously love making baby food for Quinn! I have this baby food maker and it is SO EASY to use!) Quinn loves playing with the jar lids, so, in between bites, I pour myself a glass of iced coffee and feed Murphy (Quinn loves watching him eat).

6:25 AM: Breakfast intermission for a diaper change.

6:30 AM: Quinn eats a few more bites (we’re onto a banana-apple-oatmeal mixture) and then it’s time to play. While Quinn plays, I grab a bag of Gluten Free Chex Granola Mix and chow down. So hungry. It’s a brand new bag, so I eat all of the cereal clusters out of it before I put it away. (I have zero control around granola.)

photo (18) (800x600)

7:00 AM: Quinn starts to get tired, so I pick him up, rock him, and he’s sound asleep for nap #1 of the day. Face down, butt up. It’s always pretty easy to get him down for his first nap,  but the other ones”¦ well, they can go either way.

7:01 AM: I immediately start working. It’s a snow day, so Mal is off from school, which means we keep Quinn home from daycare. I take advantage of the quiet time.

7:30 AM: Mal wakes up. He immediately picks up the living room since Quinn and I left it a mess. He makes himself an egg sandwich.

7:45 AM: The smell of Mal’s egg sandwich makes me crave one too, so I cook one up and refill my iced coffee.

photo 5 (10) (800x600)

8:20 AM: I finally finish Monday’s post and then ”˜play’ email. Truthfully, my heart sinks as I look at my inbox. (Oooh, so dramatic!) I like to keep my inbox at 50 messages or less, but right now it’s at 231. *Sigh*

8:45 AM: Quinn wakes up. He’s having a blast in his crib (he’s so talkative – like Dad), so I watch him play on the monitor while I finish up an email.

8:50 AM: I pick up Quinn from his crib and take him to the couch to cuddle while we watch the news. HOLY SNOW.

9:00 AM:  I change Quinn’s diaper and then hand him off to Dad while I go back to work.

9:40 AM: Quinn starts to get hungry, so I steam some asparagus (I give him the tops) and spread some peanut butter on an English muffin. Mal takes over mealtime, so I can get back to work.

photo 2 (19) (800x600)

10:00 AM: I’m hungry again, so I toast up an English muffin and spread some Teddie peanut butter on it. I eat it while I work: More email fun, coordinating giveaway prizes, printing LLC paperwork to sign, scanning a confidentially agreement, preparing and sending invoices, tracking earnings, replying to pitches, negotiating budgets, updating links in a post for next week, answering reader questions, starting five different drafts of blog posts”¦ basically, I try to do a million things at once and somehow it is how I work best.

photo 3 (30) (800x600)

11:00 AM: Baby break! Mal takes a shower, so I hang out with Quinn.

photo 1 (26) (800x600)

11:15 AM: Back to work.

11:30 AM: Quinn goes down for nap #2.

12:00 PM: Time for lunch! I reheat some leftovers from the fridge (Beef Bourguignon + Bang Bang Buffalo Cauliflower). I eat while finishing up a post for later this week.

12:30 PM: I make a mug of tea and eat a dark chocolate truffle. Then, I schedule some social shares via CoSchedule, which, my friend Gina told me about. Blogger friends: CoSchedule is the BEST THING EVER. It makes sharing your blog posts so incredibly easy. Try it out. I promise you: It is life-changing.

12:55 PM: Quinn wakes up from his nap. I change him and then get him dressed to take his 8 month picture with Murphy. I can’t believe our little guy is already 8 months. Look at him in his jeans and hooded sweater (both are from ThredUp). He’s a little boy.



1:15 PM: I reheat my tea and then I am back to work.

1:25 PM: Mal makes himself lunch, so I play with Quinn, who also starts to get hungry. I set him up in his highchair and then give him some bites of butternut squash and a few hunks of English muffin with peanut butter, which he loves. He is smiling and kicking his feet as he eats them. (Yup, definitely my kid.) Meanwhile, I throw some apple and mango chunks in the baby food maker to make a purée for later on.

1:35 PM: I sit down to work again.

2:35 PM: Mal needs to start chipping away at the snow outside, so I stop working to hang out with Quinn. I toast the other half of my English muffin from the morning and slather it with peanut butter.

photo 4 (8) (800x600)

2:40 PM: I put Quinn in his highchair, give him some toys and then roll him into bathroom, so I can take a shower. Then, I get dressed.

3:00 PM: Quinn and I play for awhile on the floor in the living room and then I put him in his ExerSaucer, so I can unload the dishwasher and clean up the kitchen. The dishes piled up quickly with all three of us snowed in and snacking all day!

3:30 PM: Quinn is sleepy again, so I put him down for nap #3 of the day. (Yay! This nap is always a struggle for us, but he didn’t put up much of a fight. It’s like he knew it was a snow day and that’s what you do!) I make another mug of tea, eat some honey roasted almonds, and pick up the house.

4:00 PM: I sit down to do some work with a 30-pound pug on my lap.

photo 1 (7) (800x600)

4:15 PM: Quinn wakes up. I change his diaper and then we read books with Murphy.

photo 2 (20) (800x600)

photo 3 (9) (800x600)

4:30 PM:  I feed Quinn a snack.

5:15 PM: We check on Dad outside. Yikes.

photo 1 (28) (800x600)

photo 4 (6) (800x600)

5:30 PM: I change Quinn into PJs, make him a bottle, and get his dinner ready.

5:40 PM: Dinnertime for Quinn!

photo 1 (3) (800x600)

photo 2 (10) (800x600)

6:15 PM: Quinn seems tired, but he has no interest going to bed quite yet. We play and hang out with Dad, who is finally done with the snow-blowing and shoveling after 3 hours. My gosh, there is a lot of snow out there!

6:35 PM: Quinn finishes his bottle and goes right to sleep about 10 minutes later.

6:45 PM: I eat dinner, pour myself a glass of wine (because, well, we are snowed in), and work on this blog post.

7:30 PM: I finish this blog post and watch American Ninja Warrior with Mal.

7:45 PM: I eat a bowl of French Toast Crunch.

8:30 PM: I get ready for bed and then hit the hay.

The end.



  1. Wow, Tina! You are superwoman (and mom)! 🙂

    Also, I must confess that every time I read your blog I start to want a baby and a pug. Haha! 😉

  2. Wow the snow! I was watching CNN this morning and saw that the snow banks are piled so high in Boston that you can’t see over them for cars on intersecting streets. You could barely see Mal as he was plowing! Stay safe.

  3. Wow thats a lot of snow!! Just wanted to drop a quick note… I really miss reading about cross fit and your workouts …you always keep me motivated with your posts! thank you

  4. My husband, 2 year old twins, and I are coming to Boston for the weekend next week. We are understandably worried about getting caught in the weather. I made him come look at the pics of Mal in the snow. We are thankful we only have 18 inches or so and get our driveway plowed! Great work out, bet there was no Crossfit that day!

  5. 1. WOW, that’s a lot of snow! 2. I can’t believe how big Quinn is getting! He has the sweetest smile. I just love seeing pics of him and Murphy, too cute! 3. I LOVE granola too! My favorite kind is Nature’s Path Organic Love Crunch, Dark Chocolate & Red Berries. I have a hard time putting the bag down! haha

  6. Oh my gosh but Quinn is an adorable little guy. That smile! I seriously do not know how y’all deal with that much snow. I thought moving from Louisiana to Ohio was a weather/culture shock, thank goodness I didn’t go further north!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


Join the community!

Get recipes, workouts. and discounts straight to your inbox for FREE!
© 2022 Carrots ‘N’ Cake. All Rights Reserved | An Elite CafeMedia Food Publisher | Funnel Build & Design by: Maria Filipina Co.