• Recap of the 2016 CrossFit Open

March 29, 2016

Woohoo! I survived the 2016 CrossFit Open! Holy hell, I’m glad it’s over. It was a long 5 weeks and my body needs a break. Well, actually, I just want to get back to my normal routine. The Open took so much out of me, I barely worked out since it started. I was too sore after the workout and then I didn’t want to be sore for the next one, so I was only working out 2-3 times a week. Anyway, here’s a recap of my experience at this year’s CrossFit Open. As you’ll see, I have quite a few “holes in my game,” which means I have a number of goals for myself in the coming months.

WORKOUT 16.1 – 187 Rx

Complete as many rounds and reps as possible in 20 minutes of:
    25-ft. overhead walking lunge
    8 burpees
    25-ft. overhead walking lunge
    8 chest-to-bar pull-ups

Men lunge 95 lb.
    Women lunge 65 lb.

CrossFit-Open-16.1_thumb

The first workout of the Open was probably my best performance. I had taken 3 or 4 days off prior from exercise (no reason really – just didn’t have a ton of time to work out that week), so when I finally did the workout, I felt great and had a ton of energy to burn. I also wasn’t that worried about the movements. We had done a ton of Overhead Walking Lunges at KFIT over the years, so it wasn’t a new movement to me. Burpees are my jam and something I’m generally pretty good at it. The C2B Pull-Ups were a little worrisome, but I did them one at time at a consistence pace, so they ended up being fine. Plus, a 20-minute workout is right up my alley. I’m not the strongest or the fastest CrossFit athlete, but I can just keep going and going. (Thank you, long distance running!) I finished 16.1 with 187 reps, which was a great start to the Open!

WORKOUT 16.2 – 170 Rx

Beginning on a 4-minute clock, complete as many reps as possible of:
    25 toes-to-bars
    50 double-unders
    15 squat cleans, 135 / 85 lb.

If completed before 4 minutes, add 4 minutes to the clock and proceed to:
    25 toes-to-bars
    50 double-unders
    13 squat cleans, 185 / 115 lb.

If completed before 8 minutes, add 4 minutes to the clock and proceed to:
    25 toes-to-bars
    50 double-unders
    11 squat cleans, 225 / 145 lb.

If completed before 12 minutes, add 4 minutes to the clock and proceed to:
    25 toes-to-bars
    50 double-unders
    9 squat cleans, 275 / 175 lb.

If completed before 16 minutes, add 4 minutes to the clock and proceed to:
    25 toes-to-bars
    50 double-unders
    7 squat cleans, 315 / 205 lb.

Stop at 20 minutes.

crossfit_open_16.2 - Copy

Ugh, this workout. T2B are my nemesis and heavy Squat Cleans are probably my least favorite movement, so, needless to say, I wasn’t looking forward to this workout. I mean, hello, 25 T2B takes me forever to do. I ended up doing a set of 7 (I know?!) and then one at a time for the remaining 43 reps. I made it out of the first round no problem, but I only got through 5 of the 13 Squat Cleans. It might not seem like a lot, but I was actually kind of impressed with myself since I don’t think I had ever done a 115-pound Squat Clean before that. Five was definitely an accomplishment!

WORKOUT 16.3 – 23 Rx

Complete as many rounds and reps as possible in 7 minutes of:
    10 power snatches
    3 bar muscle-ups

Men use 75 lb.
    Women use 55 lb.

crossfit_open_16.3 - Copy

Even though I posted a pretty low score for this workout, I couldn’t be more proud of my performance because I got my first three Bar Muscle-Ups!! I can’t even explain how happy I was after this workout!

WORKOUT 16.4 – 165 Rx

Complete as many rounds and reps as possible in 13 minutes of:
    55 deadlifts
    55 wall-ball shots
    55-calorie row
    55 handstand push-ups

Men deadlift 225 lb. and throw 20-lb. ball to 10-ft. target
    Women deadlift 155 lb. and throw 14-lb. ball to 9-ft. target

crossfit_open_16.4

Oy. This workout hurt. And it was probably the most disappointed and frustrated I felt during the Open. I survived the horrible combo of heavy Deadlifts + Wallballs + Rowing with 2 whole minutes to spare for the HSPUs. But, unfortunately, I didn’t get a single one. Not a single one!! Whomp whomp. It was really frustrating failing over and over again, but it wasn’t all that surprising since HSPUs aren’t a movement I can do well. As Mal said to me after the workout: “You have some holes in your game.” Ha! Indeed, I do.

WORKOUT 16.5 – 15:16 Rx

21-18-15-12-9-6-3 reps for time of:
    Thrusters
    Burpees

Men use 95 lb.
    Women use 65 lb.

12476885_10206274821369531_2095369582_o.jpg IMG_5478-720x1280.jpg

The final workout was actually Open WOD 14.5, so I had completed it back in 2014 when I was 31 weeks pregnant. This time, I did it in the dark with no music (power outage). Well, there was music playing on someone’s iPhone, which meant we listened to heavy breathing and rep counting, which definitely didn’t “enhance” this workout in anyway. Haha! Guys, it was such a suckfest. I actually thought I was going to dominate this workout since both movements are ones that I’m pretty good at, but I just could not pick up the pace, especially on the Burpees. I felt like I was in slow motion the entire time. Related excuse/IBD life (just keeping it real): The week prior to this workout, I was in an awful UC flare (i.e. too much boozing/fun the weekend before – lesson learned). TMI warning: From Monday through Wednesday, I was in the bathroom 15+ times a day, bleeding my guts out, so, honestly, I was just happy to be healthy enough to do the workout. I do think, however, if I was feeling better, I would have crushed those stupid Burpees. Oh, well. I beat my 2014 time by almost 3 minutes, so that was awesome!

CrossFit Goals for 2016

• Linked T2B in a workout by April 30th (even if it’s just 2 or 3)
    • 3 HSPUs linked by June 1st
    • 5 linked T2B in a workout by August 1st
    • HSPUs in a workout by September 1st
    • Linked Bar Muscle-Ups by December 31st

Questions of the Day

CrossFit friends: What was your favorite and least favorite workout from the Open? What are some of your new CrossFit goals?

Jen @ Chase the Red Grape March 29, 2016 at 3:57 am

Even though I have been doing crossfit for 3 years, this was the first time I have actually signed up for the open. I did it all scaled and am really happy with my performance! I really struggle going heavy so 16.2 was a pretty tough one for me. 16.4 was my best wod as I got s much further than I ever imagined! I just wish it hadn’t ended on 16.5 – burpees are my nemesis (a nightmare if your tall like me!) so it sucked big style!
    A lot to work on for next year but I am pretty excited to see what I can achieve in a years time! 🙂

Katrina March 29, 2016 at 4:19 am

I went to my first ever cross fit class and it was BA-NANAS! I do classes like Body Combat , TRX and X-fight and found CrossFit rather similar, but box jumps are just about the most terrifying workout known to man.

Shel@PeachyPalate March 29, 2016 at 4:26 am

Well done for doing them all!!! I might try the Thruster Burpee one now that I can manage 65lb!!! You’re awesome such an inspiration!

Alyssa March 29, 2016 at 6:00 am

You should be super proud! That is seriously amazing!

Megan @ Skinny Fitalicious March 29, 2016 at 7:07 am

Wow you did impressive and hard work here! I’m impressed with that squat weight.

Tina March 29, 2016 at 7:20 am

Thanks! I can’t even remember the last time I did a 115-pound Clean!

Brynn March 29, 2016 at 7:13 am

I’m so impressed. How are the “opens” tracked at the different cross fit locations?

Tina March 29, 2016 at 7:20 am

It’s all the same at different CrossFit locations. We all “technically” complete against each other worldwide. Each athlete has a judge and must meet certain standards for their score to count. It’s a pretty cool experience!

Heather E March 29, 2016 at 7:20 am

Your scores are awesome! Congrats! This year I promised myself I wouldn’t scale a workout so 16.2 and 16.3 were frustrating for me because I can’t string double unders together yet and I spent over 6 minutes trying to get my first bar muscle up. 16.4 was by far my favorite workout this year. I set a goal of 5 HSPUs and got 7!! I definitely have some holes in my training, particularly bodyweight movements. My goals are to string together more of my bodyweight movements and be comfortable doing them in any workout and to hit a bar muscle up by June.

Ashley March 29, 2016 at 7:22 am

So awesome that you are able to do all of this despite struggling with your illness. I give you SO much credit. I’m thinking of trying 16.5 today…. I have no idea why I would do this to myself! LOL

My goals for this year are to work on pull ups, pistols, and OH squats.

Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed March 29, 2016 at 7:35 am

My least favorite was 16.2 because I pretty much did my worst dubs ever during that workout. My goal is get them consistent where I can do at least 15 strung together all the time.

My favorite workout was 16.1, because I didn’t think I’d be able to Rx and then I did my first ever C2B pull up (and a bunch more)! My kip still could use a lot of work, so another one of my goals is to string together 5+ kipping pull ups.

Great job!

Tina March 29, 2016 at 7:40 am

You too! Congrats on those C2B!!

Lauren @ The Bikini Experiment March 29, 2016 at 8:00 am

Job well done! Congrats! You really pushed yourself. I am impressed.

Teresa March 29, 2016 at 8:07 am

That seems like a very rigorous few weeks of workouts to me, in contrast to what you say at the beginning of the post about how you didn’t workout much.

Has anyone said that cutting back on workouts could help with you UC? Just a thought if a month of long walks and yoga, and generally just being gentler on your body might be another thing to try, along with your new veggie-heavy diet.

Not judging at all- you look amazing and I admire your workout ethic, I’m just a longtime and concerned reader that was very alarmed by you writing “bleeding your guts out” during the same few weeks you were doing this Open.

Tina March 29, 2016 at 8:29 am

I’ve talked with my GI doctor A LOT about high-intensity workouts and he says they shouldn’t affect my UC symptoms. If anything, he thinks they’re good for managing stress and living well with the disease. I actually took 3-4 weeks off from all exercise a few years ago, and my symptoms actually got WORSE, so I really don’t think exercise affects me. Honestly, being able to exercise makes me feel “normal” and (at least somewhat) healthy.

Liza March 29, 2016 at 1:30 pm

@Tina: Have you explained to him about the level of intensity you work out at though? I have a similar auto-immune disease, and while we are different people, I have never had a doctor tell me it’s okay to practice high-intensity exercise. And I specifically asked, because I loved to spin and what not, but am not longer allowed. Brisk walking it is.

Tina March 29, 2016 at 2:33 pm

Yep, we’ve talked extensively about it (intensity, load, duration, etc.). He actually wasn’t a huge fan of me training for marathons, but the CF stuff he was okay with.

Tina March 29, 2016 at 8:30 am

As far as diet goes, please read this post – the part about Complementary Therapies/Anti-Inflammatory Diet/Low-Residue Diet: http://carrotsncake.com/2016/03/2016-boston-patient-family-ibd-symposium.html

Erica March 29, 2016 at 8:29 am

I know the feeling of needing to take off days between workouts. I am not a Crossfitter, but at my gym I am doing challenge workouts. For the first time ever, I need to take off time between doing them. I thought I could complete them in succession but man, was I wrong! Once I started to lift heavier weight, I realized it is so much different than endurance workouts. I was used to running, circuits, etc. I could do that every. single. day. But lifting? Not so much.

Valerie March 29, 2016 at 9:16 am

My favorite workout was the snatch/muscle up WOD. I’ve had a bar muscle up for over a year now, but for a long time, they were very hit or miss for me. We’d just done a bar muscle up workout earlier in the week, and mine were on point! So this workout came at a perfect time. I hit 15 (single) throughout the WOD, so my goal is to finally start linking them.

My least favorite WOD was either 16.2 or 16.4. I redid both of them. I did 2 reps better on 16.2 and one rep WORSE on 16.4. Deadlifts and rowing are my jam, but HSPU are just bleh for me. I really want to get better at them. I took a few months off from practicing them due to some disc issues in my neck, but I think I’m good to go now!

Linda @ The Fitty March 29, 2016 at 9:16 am

I can’t even do a chin up, you’re a beast!

Catrina March 29, 2016 at 9:31 am

Great job Tina! I did the open scaled this year but my goal is to do Rx next year. I struggle with TTB also, linking them seems impossible! For HSPU, I’m sure you’ve thought of this but try to use your hips as much as possible. I bring my knees completely to my chest then use all the power in my hips to get myself back up. Honestly use more hip then arm muscle on most reps.

Cara March 29, 2016 at 9:58 am

Awesome job, you should be so proud of yourself!! I’m so sorry you had a bad flare up, how frustrating and scary…:(

Jordan March 29, 2016 at 10:11 am

I love the Open and how in some instances it forces you to try something you wouldn’t otherwise.

16.1 was a huge highlight for me getting my first (31) C2B’s.
    16.2 – I scaled, just back form vacation with barely enough time to do it and T2B and DU’s are probably two of my worst movements… but I got through the entire workout scaled, which was fun.
    16.3 – MU’s are far down my goal list.
    16.4 – Rowing is my thing and my tiebreak on this one was awesome… if only a HSPU could have happened – close but it’s ok.
    16.5 – while everyone hated this… I LOVED it.

Nikki March 29, 2016 at 10:16 am

16.5 was just as painful as 14.5, and I hope that it doesn’t make a return in 2017!

Tina March 29, 2016 at 10:25 am

Seriously!!

Sharon Wilson March 29, 2016 at 11:56 am

Great job!! Thanks so much for sharing your experience, accomplishments and “holes”! So inspiring. Love seeing the goals you set for yourself at the end!

Aurora@Fitness is Sweet March 29, 2016 at 12:54 pm

I loved reading this recap! This was the first year I officially signed up for the Open and I got super into it. I think my least favorite was the snatch/muscle up workout because I can’t do muscle ups so I got a whopping 10 reps haha. 16.4 probably took the most out of me, but 16.5 I was definitely not looking forward to. I also improved my 16.5 time by quite a bit from 2 years ago which was exciting though!

Cassy March 29, 2016 at 1:46 pm

just curious- can we get Mal’s scores??
    Just want to know what level beast he is too!!

congrats on killing The Open!!!!

Tina March 29, 2016 at 2:32 pm

Yep! You can find them on the CrossFit Open website. Just type in his name (or Salt Shack CrossFit).

Cassy March 30, 2016 at 3:15 pm

@Tina: oh duh!

Cindy March 29, 2016 at 2:35 pm

I was looking forward to the one with DUs. Those are one of my best and favorite things. I wasn’t a bit worried about them and then screwed them up. I was so frustrated. Knew I could do better, so I re-did that one and did. Got to the 115 squat clean but couldn’t get one. I only attempted one. Got my first 2 bar muscle-ups on 16.3. 16.4 the rowing about killed me. I too got to HSPUs with almost 2 min and didn’t get any. 16.5, well, enough said.

Reenie March 29, 2016 at 2:36 pm

I got my first three Bar Muscle-Up!! ~ ~ whoohooo!! Great job.

Tina March 29, 2016 at 2:37 pm

Yayyyyyy! Congrats! Best feeling ever, right!?!

Sam @ Barrister's Beet March 29, 2016 at 2:47 pm

Congratulations! That was tough to just read about, so I can’t imagine what it felt like! : )

Liz March 29, 2016 at 2:52 pm

I got tired just reading this — you did an amazing job. I am terrible at burpees — always the slowest one in any class, so I never would have made through that last workout especially!

Ella March 29, 2016 at 3:00 pm

TINA you are AMAZING!!!!!!! I’m a fellow CrossFitter and so impressed.

One question tho – why do you always call them “squat cleans”?? “Clean” already implies that they involve a squat (as opposed to a power clean).

Amy Ramos March 29, 2016 at 4:26 pm

Wow!
    I made the mistake of trying out a new box on Friday. Yah, BIG mistake.
    Well, at l know what I can aspire to. 🙂

I wanted to know if you have a blog post about CF for newbs.

Patti March 29, 2016 at 8:13 pm

Impressive…working, raising a child, taking care of Murphy and doing the CrossFit Open.

Linny March 30, 2016 at 7:38 pm

Lol “working”

Tina March 30, 2016 at 7:43 pm

If you only knew!

Meghann Badger March 29, 2016 at 10:48 pm

You are amazing!!! With everything that you had going on leading up to 16.5 I’m amazed with you. I have no excuse to get my butt in gear and be a better athlete!!!

Samanfha March 31, 2016 at 1:04 am

Wow you totally crushed it! I loved 16.3 because I can actually do BMUs and not ring muscle ups. I had never done them in a workout setting so to get 11 was so exciting–I was on cloud 9 after that (so I get your feeling!!). 16.4 knocked me out. 155# is 75% of my 1RM so that was HEAVY for me. I finished at 12:54 and couldn’t crawl over to the wall to save my life (which was a bummer, HSPUs are my jam!). I had to lay down for a full hour after and was completely gooned the entire weekend after 🙁 such a horrible workout! The rest went fine but man, those two were my highs and low! Surprisingly 16.5 went much better, I PRed by doing it RXed this time (first time 45# plates) and got a 7 minute PR! Anyways, so glad you did a recap post! Always love to talk crossfit! 🙂

Jenna April 5, 2016 at 11:18 am

Did you switch CrossFit gyms recently? I thought you went to a different one in MA.

I mixed scaled an RX. I did 16.3 both scaled and RX just to get a better workout in (I tripped up on the DUs RX event though I can usually string 25-50).

My favorite was probably 16.4… I got a good split but no HSPU.

Goals are strengthening my pullups! I got my first pullup in Feb after 3+ years of CF (it takes some of us longer than others…)

Tina April 5, 2016 at 11:24 am

We left our old CrossFit right after Quinn was born. We joined Salt Shack CrossFit in December since it’s closer to our house and has childcare.