• Monday In Meals {Dining Out Edition}

March 14, 2016

Good morning and happy Monday!

I’m so glad you guys liked the inaugural edition of Monday In Meals! Thank you for your wonderful feedback. It’ll definitely become a regular feature on CNC in the future!

I actually dined out quite a bit in the past few days, so I decided to include a day of eating to give you an idea how I balance dining out “splurges” with my usual eats. The meals and snacks below are from last Thursday when I dined out at Burton’s Grill. Ok, here we go: Monday in Meals dining out edition!

Pumped Up Banana Oatmeal with sliced almonds + iced coffee with almond milk and Collagen Hydrolysate <— I recently started using this to help with GI stuff as well as proper thyroid and hormone balance. I’m currently working with Nicole from Whole Health RD, and we think I have some sort of thyroid and hormonal stuff going on related to my UC symptoms, so I’m giving this (among other things) a try to hopefully fix myself. (The Entyvio is kind of working, but I’m still not in remission.) FYI: I dissolve the Collagen Hydrolyate in a little warm water (just from the tap) before mixing it into my iced coffee.

Pumped_Up_Banana_Oatmeal

Lunch at Burton’s: Roasted beet salad with ahi tuna, goat cheese, roasted sweet onions, candied walnuts, and mustard vinaigrette. It was epic, and I ate almost the entire thing!

While running errands at Derby Street: Vietnamese cold brew (1/2 decaf) from Whole Foods. My fav!

A few Parmesan Crisps from Whole Foods because OMG, THEY ARE AMAZING. Cheese lovers: You NEED to try them!

IMG_4677 (1280x1280)Leftovers from Cask ‘N’ Flagon (Mal, Quinn, and I went to dinner there the night before): House salad with grilled salmon and a side of honey mustard. The portion was pretty huge, so I ate about half and took the rest home for later. I also added some leftover roasted broccoli and a drizzle of Goddess dressing from Trader Joe’s.

Ramekin of Golden Grahams + chocolate chips

The end.

Questions of the Day

Do you like ahi tuna?

Have you tried the Parm Crisps and/or Vietnamese cold brew from Whole Foods?

Alyssa March 14, 2016 at 6:08 am

These meals look delicious! That roasted beet salad – wow! I love ahi tuna. Anytime we are out and it’s on the menu I must order it.

Andrea March 14, 2016 at 6:42 am

I just started using that collagen as well to help heal my diastasis recti after having my second kid. It’s supposedly great for joints and healing your connective tissue. I had no idea it could benefit your thyroid or hormones!

Megan @ Skinny Fitalicious March 14, 2016 at 7:06 am

Those parmasean chips sound so good! I actually love ahi tuna. When I go out to eat, it’s always my first choice of its on the menu.

Shel@PeachyPalate March 14, 2016 at 7:30 am

I’m addicted to salmon…it’s my savoury chocolate!

Linz @ Itz Linz March 14, 2016 at 7:36 am

I don’t love ahi tuna but I do love roasted beets salads!

Christine March 14, 2016 at 7:46 am

I love ahi tuna – we always ordered it when we are out. Those parm crisps look good, not sure I could be trusted with the entire container!

Kelli @ Hungry Hobby March 14, 2016 at 8:09 am

That’s fantastic your working with someone who takes a functional and integrative approach I’m so happy for you I know you will see so many positive things come of that! In my SUPER biased opinion RD’s that practice the whole health approach by looking at hormone balance are the best middle ground to help you implement eastern and western medicine. I can’t wait to see all the little things like the collagen you get to try!

Your eats looks delicious as usual! I’m gonna need that ahi tuna salad to get in my belly!

Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed March 14, 2016 at 8:11 am

That salad looks amazing!

Brynn March 14, 2016 at 8:29 am

The beet salad with tuna sounds amazing! What is Vietnamese coffee exactly?

Liz March 14, 2016 at 8:35 am

Hi Tina, wanted to let you know that I’d never given much thought to your sponsored posts, but I was sick this weekend and when picking out some meds from the drug store, I went with Ricola brand over others because I hear about how great they are from you, and I trust you from reading your blog so regularly. Thought your Ricola folks might like to know! (And the dual-action cough drops I bought have saved me all weekend…they rock!). Thanks!

Tina March 14, 2016 at 8:44 am

That’s great! So glad they are helping you! Ricola is the best out there!!

ellen pearson March 14, 2016 at 9:20 pm

I have been meaning to tell you this also….when you did the post about getting supplies ready for the upcoming cold and flu season I purchased some of these cough drops to keep on hand….have been fortunate though and have not been sick all through the winter until 2 weeks ago….now have a terrible cough but the dual action drops really help to quiet my cough…especially while at work where every person in the building can hear my hacking.

Erika A March 14, 2016 at 8:43 am

Tina, you’ll see great results with the Great Lakes Collagen product. I used it for a few months for my leaky gut along with good old fashioned bone broth and you’ll start glowing after a few uses. I tried Dr. Axe’s, but this is much cheaper (to buy from their website, not Amazon), so I switched. I did feel ….. calmer, so it helps with adrenal burnout, too. As with all supplements, it gets expensive and overwhelming, doesn’t it? So, I took a break from it, but thanks for reminding me about it again. Good health. It’s an ongoing battle, I know as I’m living it, but thankfully we are aware of options out there and can share the information

Tina March 14, 2016 at 8:46 am

Do you remember how long you used it before seeing results?

Jessica March 14, 2016 at 8:44 am

You bowls look smaller. Do you eat out of smaller bowls for portion control?

Erin March 14, 2016 at 8:46 am

I have been having persistent Achilles pain that is preventing me from working out for months. I am super intrigued by the collagen! Please report back how it is working for you.
    I love ahi tuna and beets/goat cheese is the best combo!

Tracy March 14, 2016 at 9:16 am

Parm chips=dangerous!!!!!!

Ali @ Peaches and Football March 14, 2016 at 9:55 am

Those parmesan crisps look delicious! We don’t have a WF close to us so I don’t get to go check out fun new products except for maybe once or twice a year (and by then I forget what to look for – ha!).

I don’t eat fish/seafood but I wish I could get over the taste/smell because wow fish dishes like that look SO beautiful!

Samantha March 14, 2016 at 9:57 am

I loveeeee ahi tuna. Probably my second favorite fish – I love salmon so that normally takes the cake for #1.

Unfortunately, the closest whole foods is probably about 2.5 hours away no matter which way I drive so I have not had the chance to try the Vietnamese coffee – but the next time I am able to check it out I will definitely give it a try!

Hope you had a great weekend!

Sarah @ bucketlisttummy March 14, 2016 at 10:30 am

Love Ahi Tuna – I used to be freaked out by it but if there’s good seasoning on it, I actually really love it! That salmon looks amazing.

Cate March 14, 2016 at 10:34 am

I sipped on half Vietnamese coffee half cold brew the other day while shopping at WF. It made me think of you! 🙂

I bet you could make those crisps by placing parmesan cheese on some parchment and cooking it. But, those look delicious! I’ve always wanted to make Parmesan cheese bowls for salads whenever I host dinner parties, but never get around to it!

Jill March 14, 2016 at 10:38 am

Those parm crisps are amazing! I love them on their own or melted into tomato soup.

Sara @ Oats & Rows March 14, 2016 at 10:57 am

I love ahi tuna! I haven’t had it in forever though. I may have to try those parm crisps sometime. I love WF’s homemade tortilla chips, so good!

Andrea March 14, 2016 at 11:10 am

Thanks for the post! I’m super interested in the collagen supplement, and I’m going to do some research. I have a connective tissue disorder/joint hypermobility and since I hit my 30’s arthritis and joint issues are catching up with me. I guess it’s from playing sports/being active all these years. Interested to see how it helps your UC. Wishing you luck!

Emily March 14, 2016 at 11:23 am

Those parm crisps are LIFE CHANGING. I tried to recreate it at home but it was just not the same at all. But it was still cheese. And give me all the cheese please.

Lily March 14, 2016 at 11:44 am

Hi Tina –
    If you’re able to, would love to hear your thoughts/analysis on the crossfit workouts so far…things that you’re hoping will come up in 16.4, 16.5, your weak points, etc. Lots of crossfitters reading who you’ve also inspired to join crossfit in the first place… your perspective would be of super interest to us. Just a suggestion. Thanks!

Katrina March 14, 2016 at 12:19 pm

Those parm chips were in a big sampler when I was at whole foods during my recent visit to the states and I had no shame standing next to the sample booth for a solid 20 minutes. They seriously are addicting AND delicious! But dangerous if you’re hungry 😉

Heather@hungryforbalance March 14, 2016 at 12:25 pm

Good luck on your road to hormonal and thyroid health! I’m on one as well and it’s very frustrating.
    PS- those parmeasan crisps look amazing!

Sherri D @ fun fit flavor March 14, 2016 at 12:51 pm

Loving these Monday Meals posts! Also love ahi tuna as a protein add-on. I think every restaurant that has it should offer it! 🙂

Katie March 14, 2016 at 12:54 pm

I love Great Lakes Gelatin. I often use it in smoothies and shakes. I hope it works for you 🙂

rachel @ athleticavocado March 14, 2016 at 1:15 pm

totally stopping at whole foods to try those parmesan crisps and cold brew! I need them both!

Tina March 14, 2016 at 1:23 pm

You won’t be disappointed!

Rachel @ Simply Rachel Nicole March 14, 2016 at 2:00 pm

I’m looking forward to the oatmeal recipe tomorrow! These posts are some of my favorites 🙂 You motivate me to eat healthier especially during pregnancy with all of these cravings haha!

Anna March 14, 2016 at 2:01 pm

I was curious to learn more about your RD so I went to her website…i love her approach! She seems like a really informed, smart practitioner… Someone I might look into myself! Great find and thanks for sharing.

Sarah March 14, 2016 at 3:20 pm

Hi Tina
    I have uc and probably some hormonal issues as well. I’d love to read more about collagen hydrolysate, do you think you could write a post about it?

Amanda @ Cheers to the Weekends March 14, 2016 at 5:23 pm

Both of those salads look awesome! I love ahi! YUM.

Taylor March 15, 2016 at 8:09 am

If there is ahi tuna on a menu, I will order it! That beet salad looks so amazing!!!

Rachel @ Never Enough Novels March 15, 2016 at 11:49 am

I like the Golden Grahams / Chocolate Chips combo. I bought a huuuge back of Nestle’s chocolate chips from Sam’s Club and basically put them on everything (or eat them straight out of the bag!)