• What I’m Loving Lately 58

February 19, 2016

Hi, friends! Happy Friday!

It’s that time again! Time for another edition of What I’m Loving Lately! Here we go…

“Flights & Bites” at The Quarry – Mal and I were recently invited to enjoy one of the restaurant’s weekly specials, where you can try a trio beverages paired with appetizers that compliment each glass. Every Wednesday night, a new spirit is featured (scotch, whiskey, rum, and tequila are on the current calendar) and each one has a special theme (i.e. distillery, blend, region) that brings them together. Such a neat idea, right?

The past week’s Flights & Bites featured Eldorado Rum, each paired with an appetizer of complimentary flavors: Shrimp-Cilantro Fritter, Molasses-Braised Short Rib in a Puff Pasty, and Pineapple Pulled Pork on a Sweet Potato Chip. Truthfully, I’m not much of a rum drinker, so Mal and I shared, but I really enjoyed tasting the pairings. The flavors worked so well together! You can check out The Quarry’s Facebook page for announcements about upcoming Flights & Bites beverage themes.

Mars to remove artificial colors from M&M’s and other candy – YESS! You guys know how much I love Peanut M&Ms, so now there’s even more reason to eat them!

Cross-back Bralette Bikini Top – Oh my gosh, I love this bikini top so much. I definitely want to buy another one in a different color. (I’m debating black + white or black + purple.) This particular top caught my attention because it matches some bottoms that I already own from Target. I just bought the top to match the bottoms, so I basically got a “new” bathing suit for just $17.99!

What I love best about this top is that the whole thing is adjustable, which means it’s both comfy and supportive. It’s easily my favorite bathing suit top in my collection now. I can’t wait for summer!!

Read What Chris Pratt Wrote On Instagram At 3AM After Being Up For Nearly 80 Hours – Loved this so much!

Twelfth Night Sauvignon Blanc – Love, love, love! It reminds me of a smooth Oyster Bay Sauvignon Blanc or a “step-up” from it. So tasty!

Speaking of wine… Top 6 Wines That Pair Best With Your Child’s Crappy Behavior – This made me laugh!

Carrington Farms Organic Flax Hemp Blend – Flax and hemp together! Lots of omega-3s and super easy to add to oatmeal, smoothies, salads, soups, yogurt, and more! I add it to my morning bowl of oatmeal everyday.

SAMSUNG CSC

Work, Sleep, Family, Fitness, or Friends: Pick 3 – This was really interesting!

Should Everyone Go Gluten Free? – Great post from my friend Anne!

Our new CrossFit – It’s so nice to be part of a CrossFit community again, especially Salt Shack because it’s so family-friendly. I feel like we fit right in because a ton of members have kids too. And everyone is really nice and the coaching is excellent. Seriously. The coaches are so willing and excited to help their members improve. And, of course, Quinn enjoys playtime there as well!

31 People Who Are Really Nailing This Whole Marriage Thing – So funny!

7 Glute Exercises to Help Your Running – This is super important for us runners!

Cooking with Quinn – Our new favorite activity! I used to ask Mal to keep an eye on Quinn while I cooked, but now I look forward to our time together in the kitchen. Q-Man is a good little helper!

I’ve also read that letting your kids play with food is a great way to get them more comfortable and interested to try new foods, so, hopefully, it works for Quinn!

20 Healthy, On-the-Go Breakfasts – So many great ideas!

The 5 Best Oils for Your Kitchen – Loved this!

20 Things You’ll Only Understand If You’re Slightly Obsessed With Meal Prep – Yep!

Yay or nay:

Rum?

Bikinis?

Meal prep?

Brynn February 19, 2016 at 5:21 am

Yays across the board! But I’m especially loving the wine pairings with your child’s behavior – hilarious.

Megan @ Skinny Fitalicious February 19, 2016 at 6:08 am

I love those swimsuit tops! I remember when you posted it last year they were already out. I need to get on it this year before it’s too late!

Tracy SchwartZ February 19, 2016 at 6:35 am

Murphy photobombing that last photo of Quinn in the kitchen is amazing!

Yes to M&Ms!

Linz @ Itz Linz February 19, 2016 at 7:29 am

no, i like vodka lol. yes, definitely a bikini fan! no, but i wish i did it! 🙂

Susie @ SuzLyfe February 19, 2016 at 7:32 am

What about meal rep in bikini tops? probably would be best if you have kids!

Karien @ Running the Race February 19, 2016 at 7:53 am

LOVE the bikini top!!

Heather@hungryforbalance February 19, 2016 at 8:05 am

I love that meal prep one!! So funny and so true!!

Cori @ She's Going the Distance February 19, 2016 at 8:08 am

yes to all 3- but rum usually isn’t my first choice, unless i’m on a beach, in a bikini 😉

Tina February 19, 2016 at 8:25 am

Ditto! 🙂

Gretchen | Gretchruns February 19, 2016 at 8:11 am

Yay, Yay, and Yay! I’m a fan of all of those things 🙂 Have a great weekend!

Paula February 19, 2016 at 8:40 am

Oyster Bay is one of my go-to grocery store Sauv Blancs, so I’m going to look out for this Twelfth Night business! Rum isn’t my first choice either, but I’ve been pleasantly surprised by some during tasting flights. It needs to be used artfully — so easy to wind up with a tooth-achingly saccharine beverage using rum.

Tina February 19, 2016 at 8:48 am

I totally agree about rum!!

Emily @ Always Emily H. February 19, 2016 at 8:45 am

Yays for all! Happy Friday and I love seeing little Quinn in the kitchen. Warms my little black heart

Kelli @ Hungry Hobby February 19, 2016 at 8:58 am

Yay, but the order goes meal prep, bikini, rum… if I start with the rum the other two might not happen! Have a great weekend thanks for the links!

Laura P February 19, 2016 at 8:58 am

Mommy question – what do you put Quinn on to help you cook/prep at the counter? A step-stool? I get nervous my 2 year old is going to fall off of one, but I’m wondering if I’m just being overly paranoid.

Tina February 19, 2016 at 9:05 am

Yep! It’s just a regular step-stool, and I put it right up against the counter, so he can reach. We have this one (http://rstyle.me/n/bjfvnwb5itf) from Rubbermaid, and it only has 2 steps, so it’s easy for him to climb up and down.

Laura P February 19, 2016 at 9:13 am

@Tina: Thanks!

Dana February 19, 2016 at 1:56 pm

@Laura P: If you haven’t checked one out, and they are spendy and not totally fool-proof, my favorite-ist (that’s not a word, it’s ok) mom friend has this thing called a discovery tower. It pulls right up to counters, is more of a tall “box” for the child so they can lean back a bit and not fall, and I’ve even seen her put bungees on it to keep a smaller child more “safe”. Obviously, you still can’t walk away too far from a kiddo on it, but I’ve just seen it be so great at her house at getting the kids up to closer to your vantage point. Not trying to promote her blog, I don’t think she’s an affiliate or anything, but I know she loves and it and I have loved interacting with her boys with it; this post has some pictures of it in action http://www.dandelioninherhair.com/2013/07/july-day-14-picasso-cubism.html. Just a thought!

Dana February 19, 2016 at 2:04 pm

@Dana: I was wrong! Learning tower: http://www.dandelioninherhair.com/2012/11/the-learning-tower.html. It’s really, REALLY awesome.

christine February 19, 2016 at 2:39 pm
    Kim February 19, 2016 at 8:59 am

I just picked up that bathing suit for a trip to Jamaica a couple of weeks ago (and I got the black/white too!) Love it…so supportive (I’m a D cup)…did lots of water sports in it and it held up great! Get another one for sure 🙂

Tina February 19, 2016 at 9:02 am

It’s an awesome top, right? I want like one in every color now! 🙂

Christine (Run Plant Based) February 19, 2016 at 9:06 am

Great links, thanks! Especially the bikini top, love Target, and the glute exercises. Happy Friday!

Samantha February 19, 2016 at 9:24 am

I bought one of those suits from target a few weeks ago and I am obsessed with it!

Ellen @ My Uncommon Everyday February 19, 2016 at 9:31 am

Yay to bikinis and meal prep (and Peanut M&Ms!). Happy weekend!

Taylor February 19, 2016 at 11:08 am

I think getting kids in the kitchen young is so great!! That food and rum tasting looks so fun!

Valerie February 19, 2016 at 11:24 am

Rum – Nay. I get in trouble every time I drink it (not legal, haha. Just acting ridiculous).

Bikinis – Yay! I used to never wear them. But now I find it’s what’s most comfortable for me.

Meal Prep – YAY TIMES A MILLION. My life goes so much more smoothly when I have tons of healthy food prepped and ready to go. Lunch and dinner take 5 minutes to throw together, and I’m not scrambling for what to make.

Alyssa February 19, 2016 at 12:44 pm

The wine pairing article had me cracking up! Thanks for sharing!

Amanda @ Cheers to the Weekends February 19, 2016 at 1:20 pm

Rum? BIG OLD NAY!!

Bikinis? YAY

Meal prep? Meh… I try haha

I will have to try that sav blanc! New Zealands are my favorite!

Julia@yogawinehappiness.com February 19, 2016 at 1:37 pm

Such a cute swimsuit! I can’t wait for beach weather!

christine February 19, 2016 at 2:38 pm

Rum – YES! In a mixed drink please! Also Rumchata tastes like the milk from a bowl of cinnamon toast crunch, I recommend it for a party!
    Bikini – YES! I feel like one pieces outline my pudge more
    Meal Prep – YES! The only way I can stay on track with my eating during the week!

To do list this weekend:
    Go to Target and buy bikini top!
    Go to liquor store and buy twelfth night wine!

Rachel @ Simply Rachel Nicole February 19, 2016 at 4:19 pm

I love when my little one cooks with me too!! Quinn is the cutest! 🙂

shelly February 19, 2016 at 8:35 pm

I love the cross back bikini! So cute!!

Kelsey @ Chatterbox Blog February 19, 2016 at 9:56 pm

As an SLP who does a lot of pediatric feeding therapy I 100% get behind the involving kids in food prep! Exposure and getting them comfortable touching different foods is a huge step! I do a lot of “painting” with applesauce, yogurt with different food “paintbrushes”

Amy February 20, 2016 at 5:18 am

We went to The Quarry for Mothers Day rung last year and loved it. Thanks for the reminder that we should go back.

Patti February 20, 2016 at 7:31 am

Love your favorites…I cannot agree more with how much fun (and important) it is to cook with kids. I cooked and gardened with my son when he was growing up. Today, at 26, he is an awesome good and loves to garden!

Victoria February 20, 2016 at 7:36 am

Nay to rum, I prefer my craft beer and red wine! Yay to bikinis and meal prep!

Michele February 20, 2016 at 8:01 am

The flights and bites reminds me of “Flights and Fladbreads” at Seasons 52. Have you ever been?? It’s my absolute favorite! You get a flight of three wines (red or white), a choice of several delicious flatbreads, and then a pour of your favorite wine all for $15! I always leave feeling satisfied but not stuffed! I highly recommend it!

Tina February 20, 2016 at 10:26 am

I’ve always wanted to go! Sounds awesome!!

Kaitlin February 22, 2016 at 2:12 pm

@Tina:

We love it, too. The one in Chestnut Hill has a really great singer/piano player that my kids (4 & 6) really enjoyed. Great value and totally agree that you feel satisfied, but not stuffed!

Silvia @ skinny jeans food February 21, 2016 at 8:25 am

Hi Tina,

I thought this might be interesting to you w.r.t. colitis. For what it’s worth 😉

Sheena @ Paws and Pavement February 21, 2016 at 4:29 pm

I like that bikini top! I am definitely ready for bikini weather.

Bethany February 21, 2016 at 6:36 pm

I love the cooking with Quinn! I am 32 weeks now with our first little and I find myself thinking about what our little guy will like when cooking. I was not raised in a house that thought much of nutrition so I really want to change that with our littles!

Julianna @ Julianna Bananna February 22, 2016 at 2:57 am

that bikini top looks so comfortable! i have never been able to find one with enough support (i’m a D cup), but was wondering what size you got yours in? i’ve bought both medium and large size target tops before but am afraid that the large size will be too loose on me since my waist is fairly small.

Tina February 22, 2016 at 6:24 am

I bought a large!

Sarah February 22, 2016 at 12:49 pm

No rum. No bikinis (not a confidence thing… a fear of sunburn thing). And YES YES YES to meal prep!!! I feel I have really mastered the art over the past few years. I love it! My fiance was pretty shocked by the intensity of it when we first moved in together (he sort of knew… but not really knew before we moved in togeter!) but now he loves it too since there’s always fresh food in the fridge for him 🙂

I loved that link… I cracked up at a few. Thanks for sharing!

Ellen @ Wannabe Health Nut February 23, 2016 at 1:52 pm

Good job, Quinn! Did you do a post about introducing solids to him? Any books you followed or did you just kind of wing it?!

Tina February 23, 2016 at 2:03 pm

Here’s a post I wrote around 9 months, but we mostly just listened to Quinn’s doctor and winged it! http://carrotsncake.com/2015/03/how-we-feed-our-9-month-old.html

Jen February 24, 2016 at 11:16 am

My box is family friendly too – CrossFit Boost in Brockton. It is fun to watch the kids copy the moves as we warm up.