• Weekend + My #1 Tip for Getting Back on Track

February 1, 2016

Good morning and happy Monday!

Let’s get to it with a quick recap from our weekend!

FRIDAY

Mal and I went on a double-date with our friends Scotty and Jess for dinner at Orta. We had such a nice time and laughed a whole lot together. Seriously. I think we spent like 90% of the meal telling stories and cracking up. Scotty and Jess are such a fun couple to spend time with, and I’m so glad we were able to have an adults’ only night out!

To start, we shared the Arancini and Crispy Fried Artichoke Hearts (love, love, love), and I ordered one of the specials for my entree. It was pan-seared scallops with risotto and asparagus. Mmm! I also finished off the evening with an espresso martini (it seemed like a good idea at the time) and woke up feeling great the next morning. Woof.

SATURDAY

Somehow, though, I managed to accomplish my January goal of getting five Toes-to-Bar (T2B) in a row the next morning. I actually strung together SIX T2B two different times in a workout that morning. Yayyyyy!

On Saturday afternoon, we had a bunch of friends over our house for happy hour. Eat, drink, and be merry! It was so fun catching up with everyone, and I can’t wait to do it again soon. Happy hour = great for babies and pregnant ladies! Ok, well, the time and snacks, not the boozing.

SUNDAY

Mal and Quinn made us pancakes for breakfast on Sunday morning.

And it was so nice… just sitting back, enjoying a glass of iced coffee, and watching my boys be adorable together.

Awwww. I know that was kind of cheesy, but how cute are these two?! <3

Please note: Quinn in the background trying to “flip” his pancake with his fork. He saw Mal flipping the pancakes with a spatula on our Griddler, so he was obsessed with the idea for the rest of breakfast. Haha! Too cute!

After breakfast, Mal went to CrossFit while Quinn and I headed to the YMCA. I ran 5 miles on the treadmill and then we all met up for some basketball.

After our workouts, Mal grabbed Starbucks and Quinn went down for his nap.

Later that afternoon, we took the boys (Quinn + pug) to Forge Pond Park for a walk and some playtime.

The weather was amazing yesterday; it felt like a spring day!

Throwing snowballs…

And kicking them was easily Quinn’s favorite part of our trip!

Ok, so I had quite an indulgent week and weekend. It was actually the final week of the UC study, so I documented four days of eating, which you’ll see later this week. My eating wasn’t terrible, but I know I definitely could have done better. Honestly, I was just lazy with my eats and ended up eating a lot cereal and random snacks instead of “real” meals with nutritious ingredients. Oh, yea, and I boozed face and ate a bunch of junk this weekend. Anyway, I intend to do better this week, so I wanted to share my #1 tip for getting back on track. Basically, it’s just knowing that whatever happened last week is not permanent.

13692746654_ffe6492902

Just because I didn’t eat well or practice much moderation over the weekend, it’s not going to send me into a downward spiral of unhealthy living. I have the ability to do something about it and make a change. And knowing that I have the power to change my life (for the better!) gives me the motivation and drive to do so. If you don’t like something about yourself, change it.

if_you_don't_like_something,_change_it

And, of course, it’s not something to dwell upon either. If anything, I should learn from my mistakes (i.e. not prepping food on Sunday) and move on. The past is the past, and now I’m looking forward to a healthy week ahead. It’s Monday. Get a new perspective. Whatever obstacle you’re facing, know that it’s not permanent.

What’s your #1 tip for getting back on track?

Shel@PeachyPalate February 1, 2016 at 4:47 am

Some of my favourite quotes right there!!! Just to start a fresh, letting the weekend roll in to Monday just because you feel sluggish never works. Getting a good nights sleep on Sunday night always helps!

Megan @ Skinny Fitalicious February 1, 2016 at 6:08 am

My number one tip is start over. You always have the opportunity to start over new and leave the past behind.

Brynn February 1, 2016 at 6:33 am

Mal and Quinn are adorable. I love the monkey see, monkey do stage. My attitude is the same; move forward and do better when it come to an indulgent day or weekend.

Meg February 1, 2016 at 7:07 am

Such a good post!

Karien @ Running the Race February 1, 2016 at 7:18 am

Yum – that scallop dish looks amazing!!

Christine February 1, 2016 at 7:49 am

I read this quote this weekend and love it: “A setback is a set up for a comeback.” Thought I would share along side the others you posted!

Anyway, my number one tip is to just eat clean – at this point in my life I know what works for me and eating clean is it (no sugar, flour, dairy). Within the first week or so I’m feeling great and my indulgences of the previous weekend are a thing of the past. Oh and some really good runs help too!

Kelli @ Hungry Hobby February 1, 2016 at 8:07 am

Yes! Absolutely! Not dwelling on things is huge! I think planning is huge, take that step to get prepared and then without you even knowing it you are already back on track!

Melissa @ melissakolbeck.com February 1, 2016 at 8:20 am

Such an important lesson to read for me right now! I’m very guilty of being too hard on myself. It needs to stop!

Katy H February 1, 2016 at 8:22 am

My #1 tip for getting back on track is to PLAN. Usually if I have a crappy weekend of bad eats, it’s because I don’t plan ahead. It’s harder to make healthy choices during the weekend, but usually when I plan ahead about what meals I can make healthy, I do a better job of staying on track!

Jacklyn @ Jack's Balancing Act February 1, 2016 at 8:26 am

Such a good Monday morning reminder. Love what you said about not letting it turn into a downward spiral. Good workouts always make me feel strong and athletic and healthy, regardless of what the previous days have been like, so I try to always get one in on Mondays to start my week on that note! P.s. Congrats on the Toes-to-Bars!!

Sagan February 1, 2016 at 9:43 am

The problem is that it’s so easy to SAY we need to let go/move on… actually being able to DO it is a whole other thing 🙂

My best tip for getting back on track is to take it one tiny step at a time. Every little bit in the right direction counts and adds up to make a big difference.

Briana February 1, 2016 at 10:08 am

This post seriously could not have come on a better day. My 3 YO daughter fell down a flight of stairs Saturday morning. 2 ambulance rides, 2 hospitals and 16 stitches later, the 6 lbs I lost from my January Cleanse is probably going to be back before next week. McDonalds, Chicken parm and ice cream for this mama this weekend. I need to let that quote resonante with me and just get back on the wagon today. Thank you!

Ellen @ My Uncommon Everyday February 1, 2016 at 10:22 am

I often find that after a particularly indulgent night, I have killer workouts the next day, even if I’m not feeling my absolute best. It’s odd. Anyway… love that tip! Moving on is hard, but beating yourself up all the time is hard in a different way. Happy Monday!

Brigid February 1, 2016 at 10:28 am

I’ve been struggling the past few months with plantar fasciitis and adjusting to a new job with longer hours. My eating and fitness and fallen to the wayside and I’m really disappointed with myself as a result. This post is exactly what I needed! To know that others go off track but not to let the past consume you because it stops you from moving forward. Here’s to a healthy week!!!

Jessica February 1, 2016 at 10:58 am

I love your #1 tip! It’s so true- you have the power to change your life if you want to. Easy as that!

I think my #1 tip is just promise yourself to start. take 1 step. do 1 thing better/different than you did last time, and take it from there.

Chelsea@TableForOne February 1, 2016 at 11:15 am

Love the honesty and the inspiration! After an indulgent weekend, I look forward to a new week and a “fresh” start. I remember my goals or set new goals for the week and focus on accomplishing those goals instead of dwelling on what I could have done better…especially if I enjoyed it and had a great time. No regrets!

julie February 1, 2016 at 11:31 am

Thanks Tina. Totally needed this today. It’s like you posted this just for me 🙂

Hilary February 1, 2016 at 12:11 pm

Sometimes I feel like living in the moment and eating how you want is important for balance, even if that means you eat poorly for the weekend, but remembering how great you feel when you eat nutritious things always gets me back on track!

Erin @ Erin's Inside Job February 1, 2016 at 12:21 pm

The longer I eat well, the easier it is for me to maintain it. My new routine has me working out Mon-Fri and then the weekend is spent exploring the city and trying new places in Chicago (like a delicious burger with mac and cheese on it this weekend). By Monday I’m always ready to get back on track and am actually craving that chicken and millions of veggies!

Anna February 1, 2016 at 12:42 pm

I had one of those weeks last week, too. We had an unusual number of social nights out which resulted in way too many margaritas (my weakness!). Typically when I drink more than a couple times a month my body has a diva meltdown so I’m dealing with the aftermath now. My plan of action this week is getting good sleep, exercising and only eating food I know makes me feel good (no justifying that bite of ice cream since I’m lactose intolerant lol). It’s easy to feel frustrated but every once and a while I think it’s actually really healthy to be spontaneous and go for it knowing that you have the tools to get back on track.

Natalie February 1, 2016 at 2:09 pm

Right there with ya! I don’t usually drink, but my husband and I got the chance to leave the baby with grandma overnight and I took full advantage on Friday. I usually struggle the next day with a little guilt, but I always have to remind myself that I can get back on track. Here’s to a good week of healthy eats! 🙂

Natalie February 1, 2016 at 2:13 pm

Right there with ya! I don’t usually drink, but we had the chance to send the baby to grandma’s for a sleepover on Friday night and I took full advantage. I’m always reminded the next morning why I don’t do that. I always feel yucky/guilty for my poor choices and have to remind myself that I just have to get back on track. I didn’t ruin the good choices I made earlier in the week. So, here’s to a new week of healthy choices!! 🙂

Heather@hungryforbalance February 1, 2016 at 3:18 pm

Your tip is exactly what I would say! Just let the past go and move forward. Taking life 1 day at a time has been a goal of mine lately.
    Also, that picture of Mal and Quinn is adorable!

Rachel @ Simply Rachel Nicole February 1, 2016 at 5:03 pm

I loved both of your quotes! It is so true, just move forward and do your best to start fresh!

Bethany February 1, 2016 at 6:12 pm

It’s totally not cheesy talking about your boys melting your heart! We are expecting our little boy in April and seeing yours plus the thoughts of mine melt my heart!!!! So sweet and blessed!

Olivia @CraveBalance February 1, 2016 at 9:06 pm

What cuties making pancakes!! And I love the quotes at the end. The best thing to do is move forward and not dwell on how “bad” you ate.

Kathryn @ GracefulSpice February 15, 2016 at 1:52 pm

Tina – I totally needed to reread this post today. I feel like all weekend was overindulgent fun, and I’m trying not to feel guilty but I do NOT feel great. Trying to do lemon water, veggies, and self love!