• Saving for Quinn’s Future with Upromise

February 12, 2016

Thank you Upromise for sponsoring this post! While this was a sponsored opportunity from Upromise, all content and opinions expressed here are my own.

One of my goals for 2016 is start saving for Quinn’s future. Mal and I have talked about it quite a bit in the past 20 months or so, but we haven’t done much about it. So when Upromise contacted me about partnering, I was immediately on board and knew it was just what we needed to jump start our savings goal.

IMG_2189

I’m actually quite familiar with Upromise. I’m already a member and have had an account for 12 years now. I opened one back in 2004 as a way to help me pay off my student loans from college. I still remember registering all of my reward cards (i.e. CVS, Stop & Shop) and credit cards and logging into my account frequently to see how much I earned. I even sent an invitation to my mom to register her cards to help me earn too. Every little bit helped! (Mental note: Register Mal’s cards, so he can help save for Quinn’s future too.)

upromise (2)

Ok, let me back up a little if you’re new to Upromise. Basically, money that you need to spend today can help pay for college with cash back from Upromise by Sallie Mae. Whether you’re saving for a child’s college education, paying for it now, or repaying student loans, Upromise enables you to earn cash back for college through everyday purchases. (It reminds me a lot of how Ebates works, but the money you earn goes straight to college savings.)

How it works: Join for free at Upromise. When shopping at a Upromise partner, simply go to Upromise.com and search for that store. Members earn a percentage in cash back for college on the purchases they make at over 850 retailers.

You can also earn by dining out, booking travel, and shopping with the Upromise Mastercard. And savings can double to 10 percent when paying for online shopping or dining at participating restaurants with the Upromise credit card, which means you can grow your college savings more quickly. (I applied for one!) How cool is that? You can go out to dinner (yay, date night!) and earn money for your children’s college education. Upromise has partnerships with more than 10,000 local and national restaurants (as well as top travel and hotel sites), so it’s definitely a great way to save for the future.

Then, any cash that you earn can be invested in an eligible 529 college savings plan, used to help pay down an eligible student loan, transferred into an FDIC-insured Upromise GoalSaver account, or withdrawn by check. Easy as that. It’s basically free money for college, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. And, right now, when you invite family and friends to join Upromise, you both get $20!

Parents: What are you doing to save for your children’s future/college education?

Megan @ Skinny Fitalicious February 12, 2016 at 8:58 am

My parents didn’t have any money net saved for me so I had a ton of student debt. It’s really nice you can do this for Quinn!

Stephanie February 12, 2016 at 9:32 am

Thank you for posting this! We have a upromise account for our 4 year old bc our grocery store advertised it. We used it only there and as of Jan 1 they are not participating anymore and I had no idea what to do about the account. Plus now I know I need to figure out our balance and roll it into a 529. Thanks!

Sue February 12, 2016 at 9:51 am

I just want to say that last picture of Quinn and Murphy is absolutely adorable!!

tess February 12, 2016 at 10:40 am

😀 Proud to say that the BIGGEST step I’m taking towards affordable college for my child is voting for Bernie Sanders in a few weeks and hopefully in November! Ha, politics aside, our child will be born this summer and we’ve already put $500 aside in a high yield account and will just gradually add to it whenever we can. We know there’s no way we’ll ever be able to afford 4+ years of expensive private colleges, but hopefully a combination of scholarships on merit and hope that in 18 years college is a little more affordable, at least public college, we just hope our child will start life after college debt-free. We are both very fortunate to have never had student loans. (My parents did well in the 80s real estate market and were generous with my education, and my husband is from Europe and got education up to his PHD for FREE!) Thanks for this post. We are definitely thinking of this stuff a lot. A very helpful sponsored post!

Taylor February 12, 2016 at 11:55 am

How neat!! My husband and I don’t have any children yet, but are already thinking about our future children and their education. We are big time savers and try really hard to save a lot ever month while still enjoying our life.

Betsy February 12, 2016 at 1:01 pm

How did I never know this existed!? Thank you for sharing, I need to sign up asap

Delaney February 12, 2016 at 4:44 pm

I thinkthis is great, now a days people do not save for their children’s future. Even if its a small amount every little bit helps for the future!

Rachel @ Simply Rachel Nicole February 12, 2016 at 5:00 pm

I really think this is so awesome! I have been thinking about this a lot with my 2 year old daughter, and this sounds great!

Ella February 13, 2016 at 7:00 pm

529ing the s@&! out of things for our three kids. Best way to save for them. Also making sure our own retirement is totally set so we can take care of ourselves into our old age.

Chloe February 13, 2016 at 11:44 pm

Thank you! Tons of places I shop at!

Jill Will Run February 14, 2016 at 12:25 am

We started a 529 for A shortly after she was born and have money put into it every paycheck, pretax! You can compare other state’s 529 programs and shop around for the best plan, you don’t have to go with the one offered by your state. Some states offer deals to residents, but sometimes it works out better to go with another state’s plan. savingforcollege.com has a ton of information!

taylor February 16, 2016 at 12:48 pm

!!!
    I am in the process of paying down a massive student loan. It was enar 40K originally and I’m down to 7,200! My goal is to have it paid off by 5/6/16! This looks like an amazing way to help!!!
    Thanks so much for this post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brenna February 21, 2016 at 7:30 am

I had no idea what Upromise was until your post. Thanks CnC!

One of the things my husband and I are doing is paying off our loans as fast as possible right now, so that we can move back home and I can stay home with our little one. It has been the hardest year of my life having to put her in daycare, but this may help both her and I in the long run!