• Healthy Lunch Ideas for Hummus

February 23, 2016

Hey, hummus lovers, I have a new product for you! And if you love hummus as much as I do, you’ll especially love this post because I share some of my favorite healthy lunches made with it.

I recently partnered with Heluva Good! to help spread the word about their new line of hummus and, boy, are they delicious. They come in three mouth-watering flavors (seriously, they are just bursting with flavor and, oh, so creamy): Original, Roasted Red Pepper, and Horseradish. All three flavors are dairy- and gluten-free and certified Kosher.

SAM_7649 (1280x853)

Heluva Good! Hummus can be found in the dairy case (next to Heluva Good! Dip – not with the hummus) at select grocery stores throughout the Northeast, including Stop & Shop, Market Basket, Big Y, Price Chopper, and Shaw’s locations.

I know you guys love easy ideas for healthy eats (I do, too!), so here’s a round-up of my favorite hummus-inspired meals and snacks made with Heluva Good! Hummus. (All three flavors have been in constant rotation in our fridge lately!)

Healthy Lunches Made with Hummus

Hummus Chicken Salad Wrap with Sautéed Brussels Sprouts – I sautéed some shredded Brussels sprouts in canola oil with salt, pepper, and garlic powder and then mixed them with canned chicken and Heluva Good! Original Hummus. Mmm! This is a new favorite quickie lunch for sure!

SAMSUNG CSC

Southwest Hummus Salad – Made with romaine lettuce, black beans, shredded cheese, roasted corn, and tortilla chips, I used Heluva Good! Roasted Red Pepper Hummus as “dressing” to add flavor and satiety to my salad.

SAM_7654 (1280x853)

The hummus coats the ingredients and adds some serious staying power so much better than regular salad dressing, but without all of the calories.

SAMSUNG CSC

Roasted Red Pepper and Edamame Hummus Rice Bowl – My rice bowl kick continues! I just can’t get enough of them lately.

SAMSUNG CSC

This one is made with brown rice, roasted red peppers, edamame, crumbled feta, and Heluva Good! Roasted Red Pepper Hummus, which definitely made this dish. The flavor was spot-on and complimented the other ingredients so well. I will definitely make this rice bowl again in the near future!

SAM_7650 (1280x853)

Super Hummus Roll-Ups – Made with honey ham, cheddar cheese, baby spinach, cucumber, tomato, and Heluva Good! Horseradish Hummus, this sandwich is a winner!

SAMSUNG CSC

I made these roll-ups for Mal one afternoon, and he could not stop talking about how delicious they were. Just spread hummus onto a wrap, layer with ingredients, roll up, stick in some toothpicks, cut, and serve!

SAMSUNG CSC

Open-Face Hummus Sandwich – It doesn’t get easier than this! I also like to add a thick slice of cheddar on occasion. This sandwich makes a great snack too!

SAM_7767 (1280x853)

What’s your favorite way to eat hummus?

Victoria Wade February 23, 2016 at 2:00 am

My favourite way to eat hummus is on glutino toast (SO delicious) or as a salad dressing! A lot of people find the salad dressing attempt a little odd .. I find it crafty 🙂

Janelle @ Wholly Healthy February 23, 2016 at 3:11 am

All of these sound amazing – hummus is always a must-have for me. I’ve been loving toasting a pita and then topping it with hummus, cucumbers, peppers, olives, and feta – it’s like Greek nachos!

Megan @ Skinny Fitalicious February 23, 2016 at 6:02 am

I’ve never seen Hulva hummus. Are they only on the east coast? That rice bowl with the edamame and red pepper yum!

Brynn February 23, 2016 at 6:57 am

Hummus is the best salad dressing! It evenly coats, is thick and creamy but tastes light. And I’m always a fan of the veggie and hummus snack combo!

Hilary February 23, 2016 at 7:18 am

I love just dipping carrots and cucumbers in hummus, but I have to say using it as a salad dressing sounds amazing! I have also used hummus combined with tofu to make a vegan ricotta and it turned out great!

Paula February 23, 2016 at 11:24 am

@Hilary: Vegan ricotta!! Genius. I need to try this for my poor, sad, lactose-intolerant husband so I can make dairy-free lasagna!

Nikki February 23, 2016 at 7:42 am

I have tried that brand last month, the sauerkraut version, and I love it!

Celia at Chicago Jogger February 23, 2016 at 7:43 am

That wrap with brussel sprouts is genius! My favorite way to eat hummus is with plantain chips. Yum yum.

Jess @ Keeping It Real Food February 23, 2016 at 7:49 am

I love hummus! Lately I’m enjoying it as a salad dressing, but I also like to put it on top of or stirred into veggies I’m warming up and then add a poached egg before I drizzle a little tahini and sprinkle some goat cheese on top. Another favorite is on sprouted grain toast with roasted veggies like eggplant on top.

Tina February 23, 2016 at 8:16 am

Yum! That sounds awesome! 🙂

Kelli @ Hungry Hobby February 23, 2016 at 8:48 am

Lately I’ve really been loving hummus and salmon!

Taylor February 23, 2016 at 9:15 am

I love hummus with veggies and crackers or on a wrap!

Christine February 23, 2016 at 9:16 am

I love it as a base for layered Greek dip. Topped with diced tomatoes, cucumbers, olives and feta cheese then drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with oregano and salt/pepper. I like to dip pita chips or a sliced baguette. SO GOOD!

Chelsea@RunningWithaWhisk February 23, 2016 at 9:40 am

My favorite way to eat hummus on freshly made pita bread. Greek theme night is a regular occurrence around here- homemade hummus and pita, greek salad, and herb marinated chicken. YUM!

Annie Atherton February 23, 2016 at 9:45 am

I’m currently in a Zone challenge at my box. I have to get a certain amount of carbs/prot/fat per meal or snack. I have been trying to get most of my carbs from veggies, but I can get WAY overloaded sometimes. Like giant bowls of broccoli or spinach. So I have found a way to cut the volume of some meals is to put in some hummus. Good carbs for the win! My go-to “2-block” snack is, 1 hard boiled egg, 1 cheese stick, 1/4c hummus and 15 baby carrots. I usually mash the hummus and egg together! If I am feeling particularly adventurous, I have made deviled eggs, by mixing yolks and hummus, mustard, spices, then back into the whites. YUM

Missy February 24, 2016 at 5:27 am

Hmmm…that’s a good idea. Deviled eggs using hummus.

Ellen @ My Uncommon Everyday February 23, 2016 at 9:46 am

Hummus is so good and I just realized it’s been a while since I’ve had it. I love it with warm pita bread and as salad dressing, but those wraps look fantastic, too!

Melissa @ melissakolbeck.com February 23, 2016 at 9:54 am

I really need to create better lunches. I’m so boring! That southwest salad sounds AMAZING!

Cate February 23, 2016 at 9:58 am

Yum. Horseradish hummus! I’ll have to try it as a dressing – I usually just eat it as a spread or a dip. My go-to dressing these days is Greek yogurt and salsa, but I’ll have to try hummus next!

Julia @ Lord Still Loves Me February 23, 2016 at 10:30 am

For me, you can’t beat the classic combo of pita bread + hummus!

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats February 23, 2016 at 10:43 am

I LOVE using hummus as salad dressing!

Amanda Benn February 23, 2016 at 12:45 pm

I think I’m the only person in the world who doesn’t like hummus. I think its a texture thing for me or maybe I just haven’t had the right kind of hummus. I am willing to try anything new (even hummus) and I like horseradish so I’ll be looking for that one in the store.

Devonshire February 23, 2016 at 1:29 pm

My favorite way to eat hummus is to use it on a sandwich instead of mayo! So good!!

Amanda @ Cheers to the Weekends February 23, 2016 at 1:48 pm

That salad looks awesome! This post officially made me very hungry.

Sherri D @ fun fit flavor February 23, 2016 at 1:50 pm

I love hummus all different ways, but, simply drizzled in a little evoo and served with pita is always delightful! (also good spread on a rice cake with avocado slices, salt, and crushed red pepper on top)

Judy @ Chocolaterunsjudy February 23, 2016 at 6:31 pm

Just to day I made a hummus grilled cheese sandwich for lunch! It was yummy.

And I also like using hummus as a salad dressing sometimes.

Tina February 23, 2016 at 6:59 pm

Yummmm!

Ellen Renee February 23, 2016 at 8:33 pm

I had hummus with cucumber slices, carrots and celery sticks for snack today…but after reading this and comments I really need a Greek inspired wrap…instant craving! The horseradish hummus has me intrigued….never heard of that.

Fran February 24, 2016 at 1:44 am

I love hummus with falafel, spinach grilled peppers and courgette in a flatbread. I also love it thinned down as a dressing in a quinoa and lentil salad with sundried tomatoes and grilled veggies.

Ruth Deaton March 1, 2016 at 10:52 am

Hummus, oh, you are a topping for everything! I love it with carrots. A new combo I’ve recently tried is sweet potato (baked and as “chips/fries” work) + hummus.

Thanks for sharing your lunch-y ideas! Definitely going to have to try it as a salad dressing.