• Day in the Life {20 Months}

February 9, 2016

Good morning!

Our little guy turns 20 months old today (where does the time go!?), so I documented one of our days last week as a way to remember this stage in his life. I really love writing these monthly Day in the Life posts because they help me remember tiny details that we might otherwise forget. With that, here’s a glimpse into life at 20 months!

6:05 AM: Mal’s alarm goes off. Ugh. I had a rough night of sleep (terrible night sweats), so I am not psyched about getting out of bed. But, we have a big day ahead of us, so I grab my iPhone from my bedside table and try to wake up. It’s CNC’s 8th birthday, so I check to make sure my post and giveaway published. Unfortunately, the mobile view is messed up, but I can’t fix it from my phone, so I climb out of bed, head downstairs, and hop on my laptop.

6:10 AM: I say good morning to Mal. He’s already making breakfast in the kitchen. I pour myself a glass of iced coffee and take a few sips. Ok, I’m awake. Sort of.

6:15 AM: I head back upstairs to take a shower. I see that Murphy has gone back to bed. Good thinking, pug.

6:35 AM: I head back downstairs to make breakfast. On the menu: Breakfast potatoes and scrambled eggs with guacamole + ketchup and the rest of my iced coffee.

6:45 AM: I hear Quinn on the baby monitor. A little someone is ready to start his day, so I head upstairs to get him.

6:50 AM: I change Quinn’s diaper, turn on Paw Patrol, and then get him some milk to drink. Mmm… milk. We cuddle on the couch while I finish my breakfast.

7:00 AM: I get Quinn dressed for the day. I offer him breakfast, but he’s not interested. I let Murphy outside in the backyard to go potty. (We usually take him for a walk, but we don’t have time this morning.) Mal jumps in the shower.

7:20 AM: It’s time to leave for Quinn’s appointment, so I pack up a bunch of food and milk for him. He finally agrees to an apple-banana Crusher from Trader Joe’s. Before we get into the car, we all stop to wave to the school bus driving by. Quinn loves them!

7:30 AM: We make a pit stop at Starbucks for iced coffees and a donut to share. I order an iced decaf soy latte, but, as soon I as take a sip, I wish it was an iced Americano. It’s much too sweet with all of that vanilla soy milk. Oh, well. I drink it anyway.

8:45 AM: We arrive at the hospital 45 minutes before Quinn’s pre-op appointment and entertain him until it’s time for it. (Boston traffic…you never know!)

Some backstory: We met with ENT specialist last month, and he recommended that Quinn have a tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy as well as tubes put into his ears to “improve his quality of life.” As a parent, hearing these words was tough, but they made us realize surgery was the best option for our little guy. Now we just hope and pray that it will make things better for him. FYI: Quinn has struggled with chronic ear infections (he’s had 10 since he was born), breathing issues (sleep apnea and regular mouth breathing), picky eating (the doc thinks he’s not super into food because it’s tough for him to breathe while chewing + he might have a diminished sense of smell and taste), and communication problems (he’s still not talking much).

9:30 AM: We meet with a Nurse Practitioner, anesthesiologist, and fill out some paperwork.

11:00 AM: We head home, but not before Quinn plays on the stairs that make bird noises!

11:45 AM: Mal and I are starving, so we swing by Rustic Kitchen for take-out.

12:00 PM: We arrive home. Quinn goes down for a nap, and Mal and I eat lunch. I went with the Harvest Salad with sweet potatoes, apples, goat cheese, pepitas, dried cranberries, and a sweet ginger vinaigrette. It’s really good, and I demolish the whole thing.

12:30 PM: I break out my laptop, make myself comfortable on the couch, and get to work. I also eat some Golden Grahams mixed with chocolate chunks.

2:30 PM: Quinn wakes up from his nap. We cuddle on the couch for 15 glorious minutes.

Of course, the pug isn’t too far away.

2:45 PM: I make Quinn some lunch: A mini bagel with cream cheese, canned peaches, cheddar cheese, and milk. I also gave him some blueberries, but he feeds them all to Murphy. Ok, then, blueberries are not the “fruit of the week.”

3:00 PM: While Quinn is eating his lunch, I make myself a rice cake with peanut butter and banana slices.

3:30 PM: I have a conference phone call about some blog stuff.

4:00 PM: I get dressed for CrossFit and say goodbye to Mal, Quinn, and Murphy, who are playing a game with a water balloon on the kitchen floor.

4:30 PM: I work out at CrossFit. Including me, there’s only two people in the class, so our coach spends a lot of time with us on Cleans, which is much appreciated since my Olympics lifts are generally crap. Haha! I also stay after class for 10 minutes and work on HSPUs. I’m kind of getting it!

5:45 PM: I drive home and drink a protein shake made with SFH vanilla Recovery and water.

6:00 PM: I arrive home, shower, and then reheat some leftovers for dinner.

7:00 PM: Mal does the bedtime routine with Quinn, so I clean up the house and put away an order from Boxed. (Yes, we’re still obsessed. I haven’t bought diapers or wipes from a store since we discovered it!)

I also bought GoGo SqueeZ Organic Applesauce Pouches and Mandarin Orange Fruit Cups from Boxed for Quinn.

7:25 PM: After I finish cleaning up, I give Murphy his flea + tick and heart-worm meds. That head tilt…

7:30 PM: I make myself a mug of peppermint tea. It’s a brand new box, so it’s super minty! I also finish off our bag of Golden Grahams.

7:35 PM: I plop down on the couch with Mal and watch TV.

8:45 PM: I eat a half of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

9:15 PM: I head upstairs and get ready for bed.

9:45 PM: Lights out!

The end.

Kerry February 9, 2016 at 6:16 pm

My daughter had the same procedures done when she was two. We also live in the Boston area and our ENT floats at Boston. If you have any questions on the recovery process I would be happy to help…feel free to email.

Tina February 9, 2016 at 6:21 pm

Thank you!!

Bethany February 9, 2016 at 6:41 pm

So glad to hear that Quinn is doing well! (Saw it on Instagram)

Love the pug attitude! My pom gets mad at the alarm some days =)

Sara @ Oats & Rows February 9, 2016 at 7:58 pm

Ahhhhh that head tilt!!

Olivia @CraveBalance February 9, 2016 at 8:07 pm

That head tilt is so cute!!

shelly February 9, 2016 at 8:42 pm

I love reading these posts!! I love it when there isn’t anyone else in the class!

Sarah @ bucketlisttummy February 9, 2016 at 9:03 pm

Those cuddle pictures are priceless. Golden grahams + chocolate chunks sound unbelievable right now. Hoping all goes well with Quinn’s procedure!

Sheena @ Paws and Pavement February 9, 2016 at 9:47 pm

Hopefully everything goes well for Quinn!

Patti February 10, 2016 at 4:53 am

Good luck Tina. It is difficult when your little one is sick or needs surgery. Our hearts are filled with love for our children. We hurt when they hurt!

Nicole huber February 10, 2016 at 5:49 am

How on earth do you eat so much and have such a perfect stomach my god !!!! I’m jealous hahaha, I eat 5 meals a day and I have far from a flat stomach lol

Jennifer February 10, 2016 at 9:47 am

Looks like you guys handled his procedure really well. Hope he recovers quickly 🙂

Andy February 10, 2016 at 11:45 am

Best wishes for a seamless surgery!

Whitney S. February 10, 2016 at 3:00 pm

Have you ever used reusable pouches for Quinn? I notice you mostly give him applesauce. We have a couple sets of the reusable pouches and mostly put yogurt or yogurt/applesauce in them. My 2-year old loves them – and they are a breeze when out and about!

sara February 11, 2016 at 9:36 am

My daughter had chronic ear infections and was an extremely picky eater as well when she was very small, only eating bread and dairy. Our doctor recommended surgery, but I wanted to try something else first. I took her to a naturopathic doctor who ran food allergy tests and it turns out she is allergic to dairy. Once we removed all dairy from her diet she began to get interested in eating and she hasn’t had an ear infection since. Apparently dairy allergies and chonic ear infections go hand -in-hand. I know Quinn has already had his surgery, but it may be something to look into as surgery won’t cure an allergy if that is in fact what he has. I am glad that Quinn is recovering so well. Thanks for writing such a great blog and sharing your life with us!

Tina February 11, 2016 at 10:08 am

Quinn’s issues were structural… big tonsils, adenoids, and fluid in his ears.

sara February 11, 2016 at 1:39 pm

Oh, I see. Well then I hope you guys see some improvement for him very soon!

Hannah February 11, 2016 at 12:36 pm

Hi Tina,
    I’ve been an CNC reader for a long time; I love hearing about your workouts, recipes and of course Murph and Quinn (Mal seems great too!).

I’m a preschool teacher and I’ve known a few different children that have had this procedure done; it makes SUCH a difference. Those families saw changes overnight! I think its great that you are being so proactive now; its such an important time for development (as I’m sure you know). Hugs to Quinn!

Best of luck 🙂

Tricia February 15, 2016 at 7:05 am

Just catching up on recent posts. Poor Quinn! Both of my boys got tubes after 4 infections. I always thought 4 was the “magic” number for tubes. My oldest is 2 and has had some articulation issues but nothing major. My little one is almost a year and within 2 days of his tubes being placed, he started imitating so many more sounds. Good luck!

Sue February 18, 2016 at 12:56 am

Hi there! New reader here and wanted to give you some encouragement. My friends son also had that operation (strangely his name is also Quinn!) at 5 and they noticed an improvement to his sleeping and speech within two weeks.
    I’m also so jealous that your son sleeps until 6:45!! My 18mo wakes at 5:30 every morning!

Stephanie March 5, 2016 at 11:18 am

I feel like he was just a baby about 10 posts ago. What happened? He is a little man walking around, climbing… Kids always make me feel old. They grow up so fast!