• After You Die: Social Channels

February 4, 2016

Hi, friends!

So I have sort of a heavy, but interesting post to share with you guys about death and social channels—like what would happen to Carrots ‘N’ Cake if I passed away?

after-you-die-social-channels

You’re probably thinking: Wow, that is super morbid. And, truthfully, I thought the exact same thing and almost turned down writing this post when I was first approached about it. But, after some thought, I quickly realized how important it is for me to talk with my loved ones about my wishes if I were to pass away unexpectedly—yes, about my blog and other social channels, but beyond those things too, especially now that we have Quinn. We all need to think about this. That’s why Haven Life (they’re a cool start up that has completely changed the way you buy term life insurance) started this “After You Die” series – to get people thinking.

Read on to see what I had to say about my wishes for CNC and all my social channels: After You Die: Social Channels.

What do you think? Do you know what you want done with your social channels if you die? Or would rather avoid the conversation?

Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio February 4, 2016 at 5:05 pm

Definitely morbid but it’s good to think about.

maribeth February 4, 2016 at 7:08 pm

well i guess i know what my husband and i are chatting about at dinner tonight!! in all seriousness – such an interesting topic. it’s important to discuss exactly what you want so that your loved ones don’t feel like they’re guessing.

Ellen Renee February 4, 2016 at 7:14 pm

I have always wanted to avoid the question but my mom made me talk about it! I am the oldest child and she wanted to get all that sort of thing taken care of so when the time comes I have less to deal with. She has her funeral plan bought and paid for including her headstone…which I despise seeing when I take flowers to my grandparents graves…seeing her name on a stone but she feels better knowing all this is done. She even has her clothes and jewelry chosen (she wants to wear the dress she wore at my wedding – she felt very special and beautiful that day…makes me tear up even thinking of it). She is in her late sixties and not in the best of health – this was hard for me to discuss but we got through it. Social media is not something she is involved with – so no decisions there.

Alain February 5, 2016 at 2:50 am

Is a worthwhile article, often when people dies blogs or page Facebook are withdraw by the family or a girlfriend husband, I had this surprise of a page of a photographer Facebook kill in an attack in January 2016 Lelia Alaoui I do not know why it yet do the maximum or be known, it is sharing the blog and Facebook page and when have died very well keep the photos section because these our work all the day and people will follow after our death.

Rhonda Wiersema February 5, 2016 at 9:29 am

All living things must come to an end and if you can do one last thing for your loved ones by being open, honest and organized about what your wishes are it will make a difference. It’s not morbid but rather a reality that no one really wants to think about, but the fact you are bringing this up is fantastic. I have thought what would happen to the social media part of me if I passed away suddenly? Thanks Tina it’s always a pleasure reading your blog! Have a great week end.

Jennifer February 5, 2016 at 10:21 am

I’m pretty sure people would have bigger things to do and worry about than my blog after I die…

Tina February 5, 2016 at 2:15 pm

@Jennifer: Definitely! I was asked to write about death and social channels, which is why I focused on this particular topic. 🙂

Megan February 5, 2016 at 3:10 pm

Ah jeepers, I’m getting choked up reading your article. Good topic, and not one that most people willingly discuss.

A friend passed away and his FB profile remains live. A few years ago FB kept sending me messages nudging me to connect with him since we hadn’t communicated in a while – that was a little rough, but otherwise it’s nice to have his page up as a memorial.

Dana February 5, 2016 at 3:35 pm

It’s a real thing to think about, and the social media implications are a difficult thing to navigate. In my life, my mother’s death was part of a crime that received national attention; she had previously worked for our state Department of Justice, though that affiliation didn’t cause her death, but many friends knew BEFORE the general public was alerted to the identities of those affected. In order to maintain integrity of the investigation, I made the choice to “memorialize” her Facebook account, as people were posting on it with comments and well-wishes. I caution and ask people to think hard about that, because if you want to then undo that action, it requires court documentation–I know I certainly never would have thought about it, but had A LOT going on at that time. It would be nice now to log in to her account and respond to the tons of people who we missed in sending notifications to, or even to see what people said to her.

Long story short (sorry for the novel!), it’s just not another thing I would want to leave for another person to decide for me, and for that person to catch flack for (you wouldn’t believe the things people get upset about, or wish you’d done different when you’re the one making the choices). Having it spelt out so that person is just carrying out tasks is a great gift to give that person “left behind”.

claire February 6, 2016 at 11:07 pm

I think this is such an important topic to discuss. While many of us will live longer, there are those of us to pass on sooner than we would like to think of. having lost someone who I was friendly with, his life lives on via his Facebook account. I see posts from his wife, friends, acquaintances who bring up the ‘ Great Henicini’ and how he has brought such joy and influence to our lives. Your blog has done the same and kudos to you to address this. Dealing with our own mortality can be difficult, dealing with it now can bring comfort and healing to those who surround us with love.