• Weekend: Time for Adventures Or Catching Up?

February 22, 2016

Hey, friends! Happy MONDAY to you!

How was your weekend? Ours was fairly uneventful, but I’m totally okay with that. Back in the day, I would have been bummed that I didn’t have exciting weekend plans, but now I enjoy the opportunity to relax, unwind, and catch up with life. That said, here are some photos and random tangents from our weekend!

While making breakfast on Saturday morning, I heard “uh oh” over and over again coming from the living room. Quinn is a huge fan of “uh oh” and uses it all the time… when he drops something, when his pant leg is stuck up, when he sees the Harpy Eagle on Paw Patrol… so I wasn’t surprised to hear him say it. He didn’t sound distressed, but he kept saying it over and over again, so I looked around the corner to see what was up. Apparently, Murphy was (illegally) sitting on the couch, and Q-Man was tattling on him! Haha!

I just had to snap a photo of these two. Poor Murphy.

Speaking of dogs, Quinn met Cassie at CrossFit on Saturday morning and gave her a bunch of open-mouth kisses. It was so cute and so gross at the same time!

We did a workout called “CrossFit for Hope.” I got 217 reps, but I only did Chest-to-Bar Pull-Ups for 2 of the 3 rounds, which was by far the most I’ve ever done in a workout, so I was happy even if I couldn’t keep them up for the entire workout.

For some reason, I’m on the fence about signing up for the CrossFit Open this year. Last year, my performance was such a joke with marathon training and not being in CrossFit shape. I was pregnant the year before, and I actually think I did better in that Open! Ha! I know it’ll be fun, so maybe I’ll sign up. We’ll see.

After CrossFit, our little family got iced coffees and donuts from the Coffee Shack, which is our new Saturday morning tradition.

Lunch was a big salad with roasted red pepper hummus as dressing. It was deeelicious!

That afternoon, Quinn and I ran some errands together. Our first stop was Target where he discovered some Silly Putty-like thing that kept him entertained for the entire trip. It was really cool. Dollar Spot for the win!

After Target, we swung by Trader Joe’s for some groceries. While there, Quinn tried a fish nugget and loved it. I know, right? I was so surprised he ate it.

Quinn’s eating has actually improved so much in the past few days. He’s actually eating FOOD, and I haven’t made him a smoothie in days. He hasn’t asked for one! It’s pretty amazing how much the surgery has improved his appetite.

Other changes we’ve noticed since the surgery: No boogers and he’s so much happier! Before the surgery, we’d wipe boogers from Quinn’s nose probably about 20 times a day. He constantly had a runny nose, but now… nothing. Not a single snot. His mood is also so much better. He still has his random toddler tantrums, but he’s laughing and smiling so much more nowadays. We haven’t noticed a ton of improvement on the talking front yet, but we think it’s coming. He’s babbling a lot more and repeats words more often now, so we think he’s moving in the right direction.

After running errands, we returned home and took Murphy for a walk. It was such a beautiful day!! (WHAT a difference from last winter!)

Birds! Caw-caw!

More birds! Caw-caw!!

That night, we broke out Quinn’s new bath crayons and played in the tub for quite a while. He loved them. You should have seen his masterpiece by the end of his bath!

Once Quinn was in bed, I turned on the Real Housewives, broke out a cream soda, and gave myself a much-needed facial. (I know. It was a crazy Saturday night.) First, I exfoliated with Belli Pre-Treatment Scrub (I started using this when I was pregnant and haven’t stopped – it’s awesome) and then put on the Alba Hawaiian Pore-fecting Papaya Enzyme Mask. I rinsed it off and then put on Kiehl’s Deep Pore Cleansing Masque. After that, I finished my facial with an Andalou Night Repair Cream. It was quite the nice evening.

I woke up on Sunday morning to Mal and Quinn cooking cheesy eggs and chocolate croissants for breakfast. Mmm!

After breakfast, I went for a 7-mile run. I didn’t feel great, and I definitely wasn’t fast, but the weather was so amazing, especially for February, I just couldn’t help but enjoy myself.

Wearing: Brooks Launch 3/Brooks ‘Streaker’ Capri Leggings/Moving Comfort Juno Sports Bra/Brooks Distance Long Sleeve Shirt

After my run, I showered up and then got my meal prep on. I made a Hash Brown Breakfast Bake for the week and then made a Spaghetti Squash Lasagna, which is all the rage with the KFIT ladies right now. I just had to try it. It turned out so well, and I will definitely make this recipe again!

It’s the weekend: Would you rather fill it with fun adventures or use it as time to relax and catch up with life?

Unrelated: Has anyone tried the Smoked Butterscotch Frappuccino from Starbucks? It sounds incredible!

Julia@yogawinehappiness.com February 22, 2016 at 2:06 am

Too funny that Quinn tattled on Murphy!

I feel like our weekends are usually so jam packed that it’s nice to have no plans and relax!

Jen @ Chase the Red Grape February 22, 2016 at 2:15 am

I like a month where it’s half and half – a couple of chill out weekends and a couple of event packed ones – or the winner that is plans on Saturday, rest on Sunday! Ha!

I decided to sign up for the open this year – I have been crossfitting for 3 years now but this will be my first sign up. Glad there is the scaled option there now and what the heck, there is no harm in signing up! I did it simply to have fun! 🙂

Shel@PeachyPalate February 22, 2016 at 4:26 am

Usually work the weekends, this weekend was a mixture…catching up with family, minding my niece and nephew, worked Saturday and got some meal prep in last night!

Hilary February 22, 2016 at 5:27 am

Your Saturday night sounds fabulous! For me it totally depends on how my week went, sometimes I can’t wait to get out and others I love just relaxing and staying inside or relaxing outside!

Alyssa @ afitmess.com February 22, 2016 at 5:56 am

Your weekend sounds lovely – especially the facial and cream soda part! I love your weekend updates. I really like how you incorporate Quinn into your daily routine (errands, etc.) while also having fun and getting outside. I think the day-to-day errands can actually be quite fun for toddlers. So much to see and do!

Brynn February 22, 2016 at 6:35 am

Mitch gives open mouth kisses to our dog, haha. Definitely cute and gross all at once. What happened to Mary Lou’s coffee? I would pick a weekend filled with plans.

Tina February 22, 2016 at 6:59 am

We still go to Marylou’s. They just don’t have good donuts!

Megan @ Skinny Fitalicious February 22, 2016 at 7:32 am

That’s good news about Quinn! Glad to hear he is feeling better. I would rather use my weekends to do fun stuff but it always seems to be for catching up.

Mary February 22, 2016 at 7:53 am

I’ve had the iced smoked butterscotch latte with whip, and it is really good! It’s very sweet, and it taste just like butterscotch. I think they use a sauce (like if you get a mocha or white chocolate mocha) as opposed to a syrup. Can you tell I’m obsessed with Starbucks?

Tina February 22, 2016 at 8:02 am

Good to know! Thank you!!

Heather@hungryforbalance February 22, 2016 at 8:04 am

I would definitely rather use my weekends to catch up! I’m glad Quinn is eating more!!

Katie D. February 22, 2016 at 8:10 am

I like alternating relaxing weekends with busy weekends. Too many busy weekends in a row and I feel overwhelmed and out of sorts, but too much time at home and I get stir crazy!

Missy February 22, 2016 at 8:20 am

I laughed about Quinn tattling on Murphy. I use the weekends to relax!

Maureen February 22, 2016 at 8:41 am

I like rotating fun-filled weekends with catching up weekends. Both types are so important! This past weekend was actually a mixture of both. Lots of wine & food on Saturday, the chores and realxing on Sunday.

Kelli @ Hungry Hobby February 22, 2016 at 8:42 am

So happy he is feeling so much better! If you think your weekend was laid back, man we barely left the house! I’m totally okay with it though!

Cara February 22, 2016 at 8:53 am

So glad that Quinn is feeling better! I must try that lasagna recipe, looks yummy…and those croissants!

Jen February 22, 2016 at 9:18 am

I’m so glad to read about Quinn’s improvement! You definitely made the right choice there!

Is that what that Target egg thing was? Putty? I looked at it at my Target and couldn’t figure it out!

We love relaxing and hanging out close to home, too! I have heard mixed reviews about the new latte. I’m hearing that people that like smoky flavors love it, and those that don’t think it’s gross.

Tina February 22, 2016 at 10:45 am

It’s the weirdest/coolest Silly Putty ever. It’s actually kind of different, but that’s what the packaging said. Mal and I have been playing with it too!

jess February 22, 2016 at 9:28 am

I often work on weekends, so to me if I have the weekend off I try to do something big and fun on Sat with friends and Sundays are just for my husband and I. 🙂

Question: that salad looks amazing! On week 17 of my pregnancy, and I haven’t really been able to choke down a salad in months, because all the greens I buy (mainly butter lettuce from TJ’s or romaine hearts) taste so darn bitter to me! What greens do you use? I’m starved for a salad but worried it will make me sick!

Tina February 22, 2016 at 11:44 am

I feel your pain. I didn’t eat many vegetables or salads for the first 2 trimesters of my pregnancy. I could barely even look at them at times! I remember going to the Whole Foods salad bar and literally taking one piece of broccoli, cauliflower, etc. (and lots of Mac & Cheese) and forcing myself to eat them. Ha! Anyway, I’m not picky when it comes to greens. I typically go for baby spinach or arugula, but I change it up too depending on what looks freshest at the grocery store. Hang in there!!

Valerie @ Geaux Momma February 22, 2016 at 9:48 am

So glad to hear about Quinn. I know it was a hard decision.

Amanda Cowan February 22, 2016 at 9:50 am

Some of my kids’ fave foods they discovered at Costco or Trader Joes, etc. Something about little sample sizes!

Ellen @ My Uncommon Everyday February 22, 2016 at 9:51 am

If I have to choose, I like catch-up weekends better than go-go-go ones. I also appreciate having a day of catch-up and a day of adventure!

Elise L. February 22, 2016 at 10:05 am

I tried a sip of my husband’s hot Smoked Butterscotch Latte and was underwhelmed for sure.

Both my boys had speech delays and with therapy made big progress. Exciting you see improvement already with Quinn!

Lisa @ Life as Lisa Knows It February 22, 2016 at 10:27 am

I had the Butterscotch Frappuccino on Friday as my free Birthday drink and it was DELICIOUS!!!

Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner February 22, 2016 at 11:10 am

I’m all for alternating social and at-home weekends. Last weekend was a social weekend–we traveled to Madison to visit my brother and some friends and went to a concert, and it took me almost all day yesterday to recuperate! Not used to that much fun.

B February 22, 2016 at 11:30 am

Chocolate croissants? Where have I been? They sound amazing!
    Are they from Trader Joe’s?

Tina February 22, 2016 at 11:37 am

Yep!! 🙂

Annie Atherton February 22, 2016 at 11:33 am

On weekends I prefer to just relax and love no my kiddos, BUT… if we are home, I am also running around catching up on dishes and laundry and cleaning. Then I don’t realize that hours have passed and my kids have zoned out with the iPad or whatever electronic, UGH. So I like to plan at least one outing that is fun and involves moving! In the winter it is tough, but as it starts to warm up, it is much easier to plan these things.

I’m so glad that the surgery has improved Q’s appetite! I love that he is trying new things. <3
    Did he have tubes? My boy had the adenoids, tubes and tonsils surgery when he was 4. Recovery was tough, the night of the surgery the nurse wasn't very nice and it was frustrating. He vomited the codeine twice, so I wouldn't let them give it to him anymore. And his throat hurt, so he didn't want to swallow the liquid Tylenol. He ended up spitting most of it out at each 6 hr mark. So come morning, the poor kid had no pain killers on board and refused to even suck on ice. I went into Mama mode as soon as the nurses switched for the day and got him what he needed, but it was a miserable 12 hrs before that. I think seeing your kid having to go through surgery can be one of the hardest things. You can't take away the pain 🙁

Tina February 22, 2016 at 11:40 am

Oh, poor little guy. It’s SO HARD seeing your child in pain. Good for you for getting what he needed!! Yep, Quinn got tubes put in his ears too. It’s amazing what improvement/progress we’ve already seen!

Valerie February 22, 2016 at 11:37 am

This past Saturday was the first truly relaxing day I’ve had in weeks. Nowhere in particular to be, no set timelines. I took the dog to the park, watched Steve Jobs, and went out with friends!

Anna February 22, 2016 at 11:41 am

I love that Quinn busted Murphy! Hilarious.Poor Murphy, though. Now that Quinn is getting older he won’t be able to get away with anything unless they’re being mischievous together haha!

Jenn February 22, 2016 at 11:49 am

Have you thought about early intervention for Quinn? My son was delayed in his speech due to chronic ear infections. After having tubes put in, he could finally hear! Early intervention has helped him immensely. He talks up a storm now!

Tina February 22, 2016 at 11:55 am

We asked Quinn’s doc about it, but he made it sound like we should wait until he’s 2 if he’s not talking more. At what age did your son start?

Jenn February 22, 2016 at 1:45 pm

@Tina: He started around 18 months. I’m not going to lie, I had to be very pushy about him getting it early.

Laura February 22, 2016 at 3:59 pm

@Jenn:
    Speech-Language Pathologist talking here….I would get him evaluated. The “wait and see” model can really put kids behind in their speech and language skills. Yes, he will probably catch up at some point, but why wait. You don’t need a prescription from a doctor (google early intervention +your state), they will come to your house, and it is free. Sometimes kids only need a few months of therapy to catch up!

Tina February 22, 2016 at 3:59 pm

Thank you!!

Heather P February 23, 2016 at 10:22 am

@Laura: Hi, I just wanted to chime in on the early-intervention thing also. It’s an amazing program! Just as Jenn said, we had a SLP through the state of GA come out to our house once or twice a week for our then-2 year old daughter who was very quiet and saying less than a few words per day. It was completely free! Sadly though, it wasn’t readily mentioned by any doctors (they suggested a private SLP)- I found out about the program through a teacher friend. Each state does have an early intervention speech program, but they each call it a different name. Just something to keep in mind for your little guy.

Rachel @ Simply Rachel Nicole February 22, 2016 at 11:54 am

I think that relaxing weekends are the best! It is so good to spend more time with my hubby and little girl. 🙂

Jean February 22, 2016 at 12:46 pm

Glad Quinn is feeling better and eating. It’s hard to see you child hurt but it’s worth it if he improves afterwards. I love the idea of using hummus as a salad dressing. Did you make a dressing from it or just add some to the salad & mix it around?

Tina February 22, 2016 at 12:56 pm

Just mixed it around! 🙂

Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed February 22, 2016 at 1:13 pm

I definitely like a mix of busy fun filled weekends and relaxing, get stuff done around the house weekends.

Yay for Quinn’s appetite 🙂

I think you should sign up for the Open!!!!

Alisha February 22, 2016 at 2:10 pm

Our son loves bath toys but the crayons worried me that they wouldn’t come off, do they clean up ok?

Tina February 22, 2016 at 2:46 pm

Yep! They’re special crayons for the bath tub, so they washed right off!

Erin @ Erin's Inside Job February 22, 2016 at 2:25 pm

I just saw a sign for that smoked butterscotch on my walk home today. I don’t even like butterscotch but it sounded delicious!

Kate February 22, 2016 at 2:27 pm

Definitely sign up for the open!!! I’ve only been doing crossfit since January but I signed up. Going to be doing scaled obviously. Our gym is only doing the open workouts on Fridays anyway, so I figured if I’m going to be doing them anyway, I might as well register!

Sabrina @ FitCoffeeMom February 22, 2016 at 2:59 pm

Eggs and chocolate croissants for breakfast! Holy cow! My fiance needs to step up his GAME 😉

Sarah @ bucketlisttummy February 22, 2016 at 4:41 pm

Such a fun way to start the weekend running errands with Quinn. So glad his appetite is up and he is feeling BETTER!

Traci February 22, 2016 at 4:42 pm

So glad to hear Quinn is doing much better since his surgery! I definitely prefer to take the weekends to relax and get things done (ie, grocery shopping, cleaning, food prep, laundry, and watching movies). My workweeks are busy so it’s so nice to take it slow. I do like to plan fun activities every so often, like lunch or drinks with friends or this weekend, skiing in Vermont.

I tried the smoked butterscotch syrup in an iced coffee (it’s a thicker syrup) but I thought it was great. It was only slightly smoky, in my opinion. If you like butterscotch you’d love it.

Tina February 22, 2016 at 4:46 pm

I bet I’d love it in iced coffee! Great idea!!

Alex @ True Femme February 22, 2016 at 6:47 pm

I’m so glad that Quinn is doing better post-surgery! And the fact that he tattled on Murphy is just adorable.

Amanda @ Cheers to the Weekends February 22, 2016 at 8:03 pm

I’ve heard the new Starbucks drink is beyond sweet! I probably won’t buy a whole one… maybe I can get a friend to give me a sip! HA

That lasagna looks AWESOME. I love cheese.

Such a great idea to use hummus as dressing. Creamy but not unhealthy!

Tina February 23, 2016 at 8:17 am

Exactly! I love how creamy and satisfying the hummus is! 🙂

Elizabeth February 22, 2016 at 8:55 pm

I tried the butterscotch flavor in a latte and I LOVED it!

Tina February 23, 2016 at 8:17 am

Yay! I need to try it!! 🙂

Kelsey @ Chatterbox Blog February 22, 2016 at 9:19 pm

I try to balance my weekends – a few plans but still time to relax! I usually spend Saturdays at yoga and then Sundays relaxing. And Friday nights in but Saturday nights out!

Sana February 22, 2016 at 9:50 pm

So glad to hear that Quinn is feeling better!

Courtney February 22, 2016 at 10:08 pm

How do you like the Launch 3? I typically wear the Glycerin and know you do too. Let me know what you think!
    (Can’t wait to try the spaghetti squash lasagna recipe btw! 🙂 )

Tina February 23, 2016 at 8:16 am

I do! The Launch is similar to the Glycerin, but a bit more lightweight. I’ll typically wear them on shorter runs (less than 8 miles or so). I’m hoping to get faster in 2016, so I’ve been wearing them on my shorter/speed runs.

Kyla February 22, 2016 at 10:15 pm

Yay! Glad to hear Q-man is eating and just happier!!!!!

Joanna February 23, 2016 at 8:33 am

I am so glad that Quinn is feeling and doing better after the Surgery. I am sure his words/talking will come soon. My daughter will be 22 months at the end of February and I noticed that right around 20/21 months she started to say more words and now in the last week or so she repeats everything!

Taylor February 23, 2016 at 9:57 am

I like a weekend with some adventures and a lot of catching up. I like to relax one day and get out of the house one day too. Productive and fun is the best kind of weekend!

Ella February 23, 2016 at 10:44 am

So glad about Quinn! Ugh, kids, they just break your heart how they can’t advocate for themselves. Good job you guys. Hope you continue to see these wonderful improvements 🙂

Rosey Rebecca February 23, 2016 at 4:23 pm

Aw. Poor Murphy! I love the bath crayons! Glad Quinn has his appetite back, even if it means he’s eating fish nuggets! hahaha. Nice job on running even though you didn’t feel like it! 🙂

Edye February 26, 2016 at 7:30 pm

What?! Starbucks has a new Butterscotch Frap and no one told me!! It sounds so good, I’ll have to check it out 🙂

Blessings,