• What I’m Loving Lately 55 {Healthy Eating Edition}

January 1, 2016

Hi, friends! Happy New Year!!!

With the new year kicking off today, I decided to write a special healthy eating edition of What I’m Loving Lately. I actually started my “January 1st” the day after Christmas—mostly to put an end to a week-long sugar and booze bender—so I’ve eaten pretty well and tried some new things recently and wanted to share what I’ve been loving lately. Hopefully, it will motivate you in 2016 to do the same! Enjoy!

Hemp seeds – I can’t believe I am just now discovering the awesomeness of hemp hearts. They are nutritional rock stars for sure! Some highlights in one serving (3 tbsp): 180 calories, 10g polyunsaturated fat, 1.5g monounsaturated fat, 10g protein, iron 20% DV, B6 8%, folate 8%, zinc 20%, magnesium 45%, manganese 110%. Impressive, right? I like to add them to oatmeal, smoothies, yogurt, and mash with bananas. They’re chewy and taste a little nutty. Big fan over here!

2-Week Clean Eating Plan – Planning to get back on track? Check out this clean eating plan, which includes recipes, shopping lists, and daily menus with photos of each meal!

Salmon Cesar Salad – Sooooo good! The photo pictured below is from Scarlet Oak Tavern, and I actually ate this same meal three different times last week because I love it so much.

99 Healthy Breakfasts With 5 Ingredients or Less – Make breakfast simple with these easy and delicious recipes. The Cinnamon Quinoa Bake looks amazing!

SFH Coconut Fuel – Oh my gosh, this stuff tastes incredible. The flavor is perfect—not too sweet and really smooth. I’ve used SFH vanilla Recovery protein for years now, but recently discovered their coconut Fuel, which is a great anytime protein to help you meet your daily protein needs. SFH actually doesn’t recommend Fuel post-workout (their Recovery line is made for that), so I often use it in smoothies, desserts, and oatmeal as a way to add some extra protein to my diet. SFH is offering CNC readers 10% off orders with code CNC10!

Mustard Roasted Potatoes – These look incredibleeeeee! Must make ASAP.

479 Degrees Toasted Caramel Popcorn – Ok, Mal, Quinn, and I finished off almost the entire bag in one night, but one serving (1 cup) is just 110 calories, which is a great option for a sweet treat!

IMG_1560

10 Ways Your Kitchen Can Help You Lose Weight – I especially like 2, 3, 4, and 6!

Our new Pyrex storage set – Some of our plastic containers were getting kind of grubby, so I upgraded with a new Pyrex set, which makes Sunday food prep a lot more fun. I love seeing how nice and organized my fridge looks after I make all of that healthy food for the week!

SAM_6159 (1024x683)

60+ Healthy Lunches That Help You Lose Weight – Lots of great ideas!

Nutritional yeast – Another nutritional rock star! I love sprinkling this stuff on just about everything lately, especially rice, quinoa, roasted veggies, toast, and eggs. Mmm!

IMG_1547

What healthy eating thing are you loving lately?

Shel@PeachyPalate January 1, 2016 at 6:26 am

Nutritional yeast and hemp seeds are too of my staples! I’m all out of hemp seeds actually need to stock up! Love adding them to homemade no nut no bake bars! I reckon you’d like these – http://peachypalate.com/2015/08/21/super-seedy-no-nut-coconut-chunk-bars/

Megan @ Skinny Fitalicious January 1, 2016 at 6:58 am

I have a Thermos with a smart lid. It’s Bluetooth enabled and tracks how much water you drink via app. It’s very cool especially since I don’t drink enough water in the winter.

Nikki January 1, 2016 at 8:10 am

You gave me great ideas! Best one yet!

Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine January 1, 2016 at 8:52 am

I LIVE off of nooch! So good 😉

Heather@hungryforbalance January 1, 2016 at 9:06 am

I just tried hemp seeds earlier this year too! I really liked them, especially in oats!

Katie January 1, 2016 at 10:10 am

I love nutritional yeast. Where do you buy it?

Tina January 1, 2016 at 10:18 am

I buy it from Amazon, but Whole Foods and other grocery stores usually sell it.

Lindsay @ A Runnaroundd Life January 1, 2016 at 10:29 am

Hemp hearts are seriously the best! I always find them on the cheap at Marshall’s, Home Goods and sometimes TJ Maxx…random places, but they’re always at a great price.

Shay @ Whine Less, Breathe More January 3, 2016 at 5:41 pm

@Lindsay @ A Runnaroundd Life: I love the gourmet food aisle at HomeGoods! I always find the best stuff there!

Samantha Jones January 1, 2016 at 12:14 pm

Thanks for sharing. I personally appear to have been battling with my weight all my life, even as a teen I was always a little on the chubby side and therefore got picked on consistently. But as an adult woman things changed for even worse as I gained all the more pounds especially after my first pregnancy. However lately I have lost almost 35 lbs, after a close friend of mine shared a weight-loss newsletter from a German diet guru with me, therefore in an effort to give back here is a link to the free newsletter for women: http://bit.ly/1kxNYvM

Julia @ Lord Still Loves Me January 1, 2016 at 3:12 pm

I’ve been eyeing nutritional yeast for over a year now but something seems so off about it. I think you may have just set me over the edge now. I gotta try it out! Hope you’re having a wonderful New Year’s Day! 🙂

Michelle January 1, 2016 at 3:59 pm

I love hemp hearts! Another great way to eat them is on salads. I like to add some chia seeds and hemp hearts to my salads to kick them up a notch!

Melissa January 1, 2016 at 4:56 pm

Shakeology is my healthy go-to. I’ve had a couple of months here and there lately where I didn’t have is as often, and I always notice feeling better if I have it, especially during a sugary holiday season! Besides that, lots of salads!

Gaye January 1, 2016 at 9:01 pm

at 66 I’m still using my mom’s Pyrex. Can’t beat it!

Dana January 2, 2016 at 4:41 am

Hi Tina,
    I’m a long time reader and thought it was finally time to comment and say THANKS for this blog. I love it! We also have a Pug, Eloise, who is 17 months old so we always look for Murphy photos and news. I’m impressed at how well-behaved he is. Our Pug is so stubborn. Again, thanks for the great blog and all you offer your readers. Most importantly…. Quinn is so so so so cute.
    ps. My family is obsessed with your bang bang cauliflower.YUM!

Tina January 2, 2016 at 7:03 am

Aww, thank you!!!!

Cyndi January 2, 2016 at 10:37 am

Thanks for the link to the 2-week clean eating plan. I am getting prepared and starting it on Monday!
    Happy New Year!!

Tina January 2, 2016 at 11:26 am

Yayyyyy! Happy New Year!!

Jane @janerunswild January 2, 2016 at 3:03 pm

I love Scarlet Oak Tavern! I will try their Salmon caesar the next time I am there. Happy new year and thanks for this great list!

Hilary January 2, 2016 at 4:36 pm

I recently tried the Coconut flavored protein too and it was fantastic! I loved putting it in oatmeal!

Hillary | Nutrition Nut on the Run January 3, 2016 at 12:52 am

I’m obsessed with hemp hearts!! On all the things! (like nut butter toast)

Alli O. January 3, 2016 at 12:16 pm

Hi Tina! I too am on a mission to get my eating back in check-tis the season right?! Just wondering how your UC symptoms are recently. I saw the post about participating in the study-thank you for helping other people!- do you think you can post a health update on how you’ve been feeling and how the holidays went?

randi January 4, 2016 at 3:48 pm

More posts like this please! I LOVE this post. I don’t need help finding donuts, but Hemp Seeds? I might need a little help there 🙂

Tracy Schwartz January 29, 2016 at 8:58 pm

I love brown rice with eggs, tofu, crab flakes, avocado, edamame beans, and peanut sauce.

Totally voted for your bowl. Not a squash fan.