• Weekend Firsts

January 11, 2016

Heyyyyyy! Happy Monday, friends! I hope you had a wonderful weekend!

We had a nice weekend over here; it actually included quite a few firsts, so I thought it would be fun to include them in my weekend recap. Ok, here we go!

It was date night on Friday, so Mal and I headed to Burton’s Grill for dinner. It wasn’t a first (we love Burton’s and dine there on occasion), but we tried one of their new menus for the first time.

IMG_1810

We were recently invited to try Burton’s {B} Guilt and Gluten Free promo, where you enjoy a two-course guilt- and gluten-free menu for just $20.16. It’s available on Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday throughout the month of January. Unfortunately, we weren’t able to take advantage of this offer, but Burton’s “Gluten Sensitive” menu is available any day of the week, so we decided to give it a try on our date night. (FYI: Burton’s also has a separate vegetarian menu!)

Burton's Gluten Sensitive Menu

When we arrived at Burton’s, there was a short wait for our table, so we headed to the bar for a couple of drinks while we waited. #wineme

IMG_1813

When our table was ready, we checked out the Gluten Sensitive menu and it looked quite delicious with all sorts of tasty selections, including Sesame Crusted Tuna, Buffalo Chicken Dip, Roasted Beet Salad, and Lobster Shrimp Pasta made with gluten-free pasta.

IMG_1823

We also had some gluten-free focaccia bread with our appetizer.

IMG_1825

For my entree, I ordered the Caesar Salad with grilled (wild-caught) salmon on top, which I’m sure isn’t much of a surprise. I am seriously loving this meal lately and, of course, it was excellent.

IMG_1828

Yay, date night! (Sorry about the fuzzy photo.)

IMG_1833

On Saturday morning, we headed to CrossFit, where we did a GRID League-style workout for the first time. There were 6 teams of 4 people, and we completed against each other to see who could finish the workout first and get the most rope climbs. It was so fun!

salt_shack_

Photo credit: @saltshackcrossfit

After CrossFit, we headed home, quickly showered, and then hit the road to visit our new niece. (Mal’s step-brother’s wife had a baby 4 weeks ago.) For the ride, I ordered a hot coffee from Dunkin Donuts, probably for the first time ever. I just wasn’t feeling iced coffee for some reason.

carrotsncake_hot_coffee

After meeting our niece and visiting for a little while, Mal, Quinn, and I offered to pick up lunch for everyone in Northampton, which had such an adorable downtown area. We couldn’t believe it was our first time there.

IMG_1850

We ended up getting lunch from Bueno Y Sano, and Quinn had his first bite of burrito!

IMG_1852

I ordered a massive rice bowl and ate the entire thing. It was so good!

IMG_1853

On Sunday morning, Quinn and I went grocery shopping at Trader Joe’s, and I finally found their super popular cauliflower rice. It’s almost always sold out, so I was psyched to finally have a chance to try it!

trader_joe_cauliflower_rice

Speaking of Trader Joe’s, I am really excited to try some of their new January products. Pretzel croissants and Kale + Hemp Seed Salad? Yes, please!

After our trip to Trader Joe’s, we headed to the YMCA. Quinn played in “Toddler Town” while I ran on the treadmill for 45 minutes. Then, we headed home. The afternoon was spent food prepping, which included a batch of the easiest peanut butter protein balls. It was my first time making them, and I will definitely make them again in the future! Recipe: 1/2 rolled oats, 1/2 smooth peanut butter, 1/2 cup protein powder, 2 tbsp honey, 1 tbsp chocolate chips (optional). Roll into balls. Store in fridge. Makes 8 balls.

SAMSUNG CSC

Links of Interest

Parents Hilariously Troll Their College Kid By Recreating Her Silly Selfies

A Butt-Toning, Calorie-Burning Interval Workout

10 Food-Editor-Approved Store-Bought Meal Shortcuts <– I need to try the cooked lentils from Trader Joe’s!

Share a FIRST from your weekend?

Karien @ Running the Race January 11, 2016 at 3:33 am

First visit to the gym pool with Missy K (3). She loved it and I think we’ll visit many more times before summer ends!

Shel@PeachyPalate January 11, 2016 at 5:27 am

Frozen cauliflower rice would be awesome! Wish we had it here! That restaurant sounds great, salmon looks beautiful!

Hilary January 11, 2016 at 5:53 am

I have been wanting to try that cauliflower rice at Trader Joes too! Here’s to hoping I do next time ! This weekend was my first time getting an automated car wash! It was so nice for once not to do my own!

Megan @ Skinny Fitalicious January 11, 2016 at 6:15 am

We went to a new smoothie bar yesterday and it was so good! I forgot how much I missed smoothies. In not drinking as many now that it’s winter and that really needs to change!

Kay January 11, 2016 at 6:48 am

Aahh! You were in northampton?! My neck of the woods! I would have had a celebrity “moment” had I spotted you all. Def come back and bring Murphy next time. 🙂

Tina January 11, 2016 at 6:51 am

Haha! Definitely! Murphy would have loved it there. We saw lots of dogs!

Brynn January 11, 2016 at 6:53 am

We bought Mitch his concert able car seat and I tried a new yoga class! I think you had a identity crisis ordering a hot coffee instead of iced, haha!

Becky @ Olives n Wine January 11, 2016 at 7:15 am

Sounds like a fun weekend! I also make protein balls – Similar to yours but I added in some ground flax seed. A first… We made our first family trip to Orlando on Friday night! We live within driving distance and can’t wait to go back 🙂

Linz @ Itz Linz January 11, 2016 at 7:26 am

I had crab encrusted salmon at Brio for dinner on Saturday night – so good!

Tina January 11, 2016 at 7:34 am

Yum!!

Yael January 11, 2016 at 7:49 am

Yay Northampton! I went to school there, it’s the best! 🙂

Gretchen | Gretchruns January 11, 2016 at 7:53 am

Ohh the cooked lentils are SO good! You definitely have to try them 🙂 This weekend I went on my first trip with my realtor! I’m starting to look at houses and we went out for the first time. So much fun but stressful!

Kelli @ Hungry Hobby January 11, 2016 at 7:59 am

I didn’t even know Trader Joe’s made cauliflower rice, probably because it’s always sold out! I’m all about the pre prepped food though! I love making those protein balls, I use that exact recipe, sometimes I add a little ground flaxseed too 🙂

Jessica January 11, 2016 at 8:25 am

This weekend, I made black bean soup for the first time! I used a Panera copycat recipe, and it came out pretty great!

Ellen @ My Uncommon Everyday January 11, 2016 at 9:49 am

I went to my first class at CorePower Yoga! I did the C2 class and it was awesome!

Taylor January 11, 2016 at 10:10 am

I love grilled salmon on a salad.. it’s one of my go-to meals!

Sarah @ bucketlisttummy January 11, 2016 at 10:49 am

I went to school as UMass, so I have a huge love and respect for Northhampton, and BUENO Y SANO? Amazing. I am so jealous right now. Really neat that you got to try out their gluten sensitive menu before hand, I think that’s a genius concept they are looking to unroll.

Chantelle January 15, 2016 at 2:57 pm

@Sarah @ bucketlisttummy:
    Me too Sarah! Did you just call it “bueno” for short too? Mmmm.. i miss their food. And Antonio’s 🙂

Christen January 11, 2016 at 10:50 am

Ah! Love Trader Joe’s and I’ll definitely have to try the riced cauliflower!

Anna January 11, 2016 at 11:28 am

Yesterday I went skiing and stayed until the resort closed for the first time (as a CO local I ski a couple hours a weekend rather than do intense long days). Driving home watching the orange, pink and yellow sky over the snowy mountains was a highlight for sure. It was SO beautiful and a great way to start the week.

Tina January 11, 2016 at 11:31 am

That sounds so nice!!

Valerie January 11, 2016 at 12:30 pm

I used Oxy Clean for the first time this weekend! Crazy, I know. That stuff is legit! I’m pretty sure it removed a year old red wine stain from one of my favorite sweaters!

Do you and Mal go to the same CrossFit gym now? I know a while back you said you’d signed up somewhere.

Tina January 11, 2016 at 12:47 pm

That stuff is awesome! It’s saved so many of my stinky sports bras! Yep, we go to the same CF now.

Jen January 11, 2016 at 12:32 pm

Made Cauliflower rice (!!) for the first time yesterday! So easy to make if you have a food processor. I added it to a chili I made since I’m eating clean for the next 4 weeks.

Rachel @ Simply Rachel Nicole January 11, 2016 at 1:55 pm

We went to our local rec center and went swimming for the first time. My daughter loved it so it was definitely a big hit. 🙂

Sheena @ Paws and Pavement January 11, 2016 at 2:43 pm

That sounds like a lot of fun firsts! We went and had the “VIP” seating with waiter and comfy big seats for the first time while watching Star Wars this weekend. Won’t be going back to the normal seating after that 🙂

Erin @ Erin's Inside Job January 11, 2016 at 2:59 pm

Man Im so hungry for a burrito now! Looks like an awesome weekend 🙂

Tina January 11, 2016 at 3:50 pm

Me too!!

Melissa January 11, 2016 at 4:28 pm

It’s got to be so fun to do date nights when you’re invited to try out a menu like that!

Ally @ Homespun Runner January 11, 2016 at 4:49 pm

That Tuna looks so good! I have been on a tuna kick and get it everywhere I go! This weekend I went for a run with my Dad. He is pretty speedy and I usually fall back right away but this time I hung at his pace for the entire run!

Suzanne January 11, 2016 at 5:45 pm

I need to look for this cauliflower rice!

I took my 12 year old daughter with me to spin class for the first time, she did great cycling 17 miles 🙂

Erica January 11, 2016 at 5:53 pm

I’m a relatively new to western Mass (and Mass in general) and live about two towns over from Northampton–such a cute area!

Courtney January 11, 2016 at 7:51 pm

You make me so homesick..grew up in Hingham and college at UMASS…I would take Burtons & Bueno Y Sano in a single weekend any day! Love your gluten free date night..putting it on the list–as long as there is wine-we will survive 🙂

Kelsey @ Chatterbox Blog January 11, 2016 at 9:03 pm

I’ve been dying to try TJ’s cauliflower rice as well – I’ve heard rave reviews! My friend swears by their precooked lentils, although to save money I prefer to cook a large batch of my own and then freeze them in single servings -works just as well 🙂

Tina January 11, 2016 at 9:23 pm

That’s a great idea! What do you freeze them in?

Melissa . January 11, 2016 at 9:12 pm

Enjoy your vlog so much! As a coffee lover myself how do u keep your smile so white???!!! What toothpaste mouthwash toothbrush do you use?

Tanya January 11, 2016 at 9:53 pm

Yay Northampton! My daughter goes to Smith and we love visiting Northampton. I live in Broomfield CO and Northampton reminds me a little of Boulder back when it was smaller.

Amber January 12, 2016 at 11:37 am

Just made these little protein balls when I had the urge to make brownies at like 9PM. They were the perfect healthier substitute–thanks!

Tina January 12, 2016 at 11:50 am

Yay! So glad you like them!!

Grace January 12, 2016 at 9:00 pm

Buttons Grill is awesome! We go tall the time. My son has celiac disease & their gluten free menu (especially for kids) just rocks!! Those protein balks sounds fantastic – can’t wait to make them!

Grace January 12, 2016 at 9:01 pm

@Grace:
    Whoops, hit submit too fast – obviously I meant Burtons Grill – stupid autocorrect