• Trader Joe’s Grocery Haul + Party Favorites

January 31, 2016

Hey, hey! Happy Sunday!

Just popping in to share this week’s grocery haul and some party/entertaining favorites from Trader Joe’s!

SAMSUNG CSC

• Unsweetened soy milk
    • Garbanzo beans
    • Baked beans
    • Canola oil
    • Liquid egg whites
    • Ketchup
    • Apple-Carrot and Apple-Banana Crushers – Quinn loves these! He even ate two in the store!
    • Salsa
    • Dijon mustard
    • Vanilla low-fat yogurt
    • Greek yogurt
    • Shelled edamame
    • Eggs
    • Cod filets
    • Shredded cheese

SAMSUNG CSC

• Chocolate chunks
    • Chicken breasts
    • Bacon
    • Hashbrowns
    • Superfood pilaf – quinoa with sweet potatoes, kale, and carrots
    • Chicken drummellas – Mal loves these!

On the menu this week:

• Chicken quesadillas
    • Cobb salads
    • Cod + brown rice and broccoli – is there a cod recipe you love? Please share! 🙂
    • Tuna melts with salad
    • Soup + grilled cheese sandwiches

SAM_7438 (1280x853)

We had some friends over yesterday afternoon for a play date + drinks and apps, so I also wanted to share some of our favorite party/entertaining favorites from TJ’s.

• Assorted crackers
    • Dark chocolate peanut butter cups – everyone loves these!
    • Peanut butter filled pretzels
    • Pita chips with sea salt
    • Green olive tapenade
    • Mini pizzas
    • Spinach & kale bites
    • Vegetable medley of broccoli, cauliflower & carrots
    • Various cheeses – love the selection at Trader Joe’s!
    • Roasted red pepper hummus
    • Guacamole
    • Pastry bites with feta & caramelized onions – not pictured because we almost always have a box or two in our freezer. They’re so good!

SAMSUNG CSC

What are your favorite Trader Joe’s items?

Melissa January 31, 2016 at 7:02 am

Great cod recipe from whole foods! I use olive oil vs butter.

Lindsay January 31, 2016 at 7:04 am

I love their pita chips, almond butter and cheddar cheese. My husband is addicted to their truffle brownie mix.

Megan @ Skinny Fitalicious January 31, 2016 at 7:35 am

I love Trader Joes coffee, frozen cauliflower and they have the best almond butter! I’ll have to look for the superfoods pilaf. That sounds really good!

For my cod, I simply bake it frozen in the oven at 350 for 30 minutes with a little paprika and lemon.

Kelli @ Hungry Hobby January 31, 2016 at 7:44 am

#tjsfanclubforlife It’s great because you can get so many super healthy foods at low prices plus you can get better for you snacks! Lately I’m loving the cauliflower rice! However my tride and true Favorite trader joes item is the sun butter always 4.99 no matter what! I also love their chicken sausages and fish (check the package of your cod it probably has a great recipe). My hubby is a TJs frozen food connassour he loves their corn dogs, pot pie and mini tacos!!!!

melissa January 31, 2016 at 8:00 am

For your next party you have to try this, they sell parmesan bread wrapped mini dogs (similar to pigs in the blanket) with their hot and spicy mustard – amazing!

Tina January 31, 2016 at 9:04 am

Those sound awesome!!

Jen January 31, 2016 at 8:28 am

We love poaching cod in beer (don’t really use a recipe, but something like this http://www.foodily.com/r/kEPGtgrOj-beer-poached-cod-by-big-girls-small-kitchen). And if you want to go a healthier route, coconut milk is also good 🙂 TJ has some amazing cod prices especially for the pieces!

Andrea January 31, 2016 at 8:36 am

I love love love TJ’s. We always go there if we need to do a cheese board (the caramelized onion cheddar is my fave) and they have the most awesome crackers. I also love the edamame tofu nuggets, and recently tried their “melodious blend”, which is chickpeas and lentils, its yum! You can’t go wrong shopping there.

meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles January 31, 2016 at 8:56 am

I do the majority of my food shopping at TJ. I love their crunchy pb with flax and chia seeds and my son really likes the kale and carrot birds nests (frozen section).

Tina January 31, 2016 at 9:12 am

I’ll have to look for those birds nests!

Kaitlin February 2, 2016 at 9:17 am

Birds nests are my absolute favorite thing at TJs. My 6 year old is obsessed with them, too!

Sara @ Oats & Rows January 31, 2016 at 9:17 am

I love their PB filled pretzels, coconut greek yogurt, sweet potato/kale/butternut squash pizza, and plantain chips!

Amanda January 31, 2016 at 9:20 am

Check out mediterrasian.com for their recent baked fish with whole grain gremolata post. Delicious looking and easy. I can’t wait to try it!

Celia at Chicago Jogger January 31, 2016 at 9:28 am

I’m obsessed with the creamy, no salt almond butter; rice crackers; frozen figs; and flowers from TJ’s!

Farah January 31, 2016 at 9:28 am

I didn’t use a specific recipe last time I made cod, but I just baked it with a teriyaki and apricot jam glaze and loved how it turned out!

Tina January 31, 2016 at 9:52 am

Yummmm!

eileen adler January 31, 2016 at 9:52 am

kids love the frozen mini tacos and I love the Caribbean frozen fruit ice pops. my husband. loves the frozen mango chunks

Cara January 31, 2016 at 10:08 am
    Tina January 31, 2016 at 10:15 am

Yum!!

Kelly Ryan January 31, 2016 at 12:02 pm

No questions about it – dried persimmons

Erin @ Erin's Inside Job January 31, 2016 at 12:09 pm

I’ve been loving their Opal apples with almond butter as a night time snack but only bc the Jazz apples they have are so small. Jazz apples are my all time favorite so sometimes i will mix it up.

I’ve also been buying a bunch of their zucchinis to thrown into my smoothies!

Rachel @ Simply Rachel Nicole January 31, 2016 at 12:32 pm

I absolutely love the pizza dough from trader joes! They are so good!

Morgan @ Morgan Manages Mommyhood January 31, 2016 at 2:29 pm

Ugh I miss having a TJ’s close by…. they have the best stuff!!

Susan January 31, 2016 at 2:37 pm

How is Quinn doing with his eating? You recently mentioned that he was only interested in smoothies and some bread, but in some later posts, it sounds like he is happily eating other stuff, too. Did you have to take him to the doctor, or is he just working through his pickiness on his own? Just curious, because I have a somewhat picky 16-month-old myself! (By the way, I made the mini muffins that you posted about a while back, and she loved them!)

Tina January 31, 2016 at 3:48 pm

He’s making progress! He’s still pretty picky, but he’s tried a few new things recently!

Heather@hungryforbalance January 31, 2016 at 5:33 pm

I love their sunflower seed butter and their dried apricots! John loves their beer too!

Bethany January 31, 2016 at 6:04 pm

O how I miss living close to a Whole Foods or Trader Joe’s!

Cara's Healthy Cravings January 31, 2016 at 6:33 pm

One of my fav ways to prepare cod is to cook it is parchment paper or foil. You can make the little packs ahead of time (perfect for entertaining too), keep in the fridge till ready to cook and then just pop them into the oven for 12-15 mins (at 425F). I usually season the cod with salt and pepper, thinly slice some onion or leek, along with some julienned pepper and carrots and a slice of lemon, pat of butter, maybe a Tbsp of white wine and you are good to go!

Tina January 31, 2016 at 6:53 pm

Love this idea! Thank you!!

Jen January 31, 2016 at 7:44 pm

I would marry TJ’s Raisin Bran if I could. And topped with their salted almond butter, swoon. The choc PB 4-pack of cupcakes are some of the best cupcakes I’ve ever had. I love their carmelized onion flatbread, sunflower butter, ant of their nuts and dried fruits, the tomatillo salsa, flax corn chips, ugh pretty much everything.

Liz January 31, 2016 at 8:19 pm

Sweet potato gnocchi is so good! And their pretzel rolls are amazing! We also love their tomatilla salsa!

Tina January 31, 2016 at 8:38 pm

That gnocchi is the best!!

Olivia @CraveBalance January 31, 2016 at 8:23 pm

Love trader joes!! Cookie butter is my fav. Haven’t bought it in a while though! I also love there pre made salads. Perfect for quick lunch options.

Kelsey @ Chatterbox Blog January 31, 2016 at 8:44 pm

I do all my grocery shopping at TJ’s – can’t beat the prices and selection! Some of my favorites are the raw almond butter, cashew butter, handmade 100% whole wheat tortillas and their tahini sauce! Growing up we did cod one way – baked with crumbled ritz crackers and butter on top 🙂

Reilly January 31, 2016 at 9:09 pm

I love most everything, but these are the must-haves for each trip: Veg fried rice, potstickers, cowboy caviar, whole wheat pizza crust, pizza sauce, reduced guilt chicken salad, and their dog food! The closest Trader Joe’s is an hour away, but we make the trip every 6 weeks or so with a huge cooler in the trunk!

christine January 31, 2016 at 9:46 pm

Love TJ’s almond butter, Salsa Verde, Mac N Cheese Raviolis, ghee, pork belly, pot stickers, and pretty much everything else they have!

My favorite cod recipe because its simple but oh so tasty!

christine January 31, 2016 at 9:47 pm

@christine: and instead of butter I used olive oil for the cod 🙂

Tina January 31, 2016 at 10:03 pm

Thank you for the recipe!!

BridgetHales@HotTeaTravel&Thyme January 31, 2016 at 10:35 pm

Yum!

My favorite Trader Joe’s items are their pineapple juice, honey Greek yogurt, and hazelnut chocolate, for a serious treat!

Emily January 31, 2016 at 11:29 pm

I love so many of the things you all listed!! I can’t seem to leave tjs without flowers, cards (99cents!!), dried “just mango”, wasabi seaweed, unexpected white cheddar cheese (it has the crunchies like parm… Oh so good!), canned dolmas, precut butternut squash (such a time suck to cut those!), cruniferous salad blend (Brussels and cabbage and the like. I saute it and put a runny egg on top)… Oh man I feel like I could keep going! Ha!! I’m a fan, obvi;)

Coleen February 1, 2016 at 12:17 am

I love the caramelized onion cheddar and made the best grilled cheese with it last week. I also recently discovered the bruschetta and avocado salsa (in the fresh section). They are amazing. I also love their Chicken Tikka Masala in the fresh meals section as well.

Millie Jones February 1, 2016 at 8:59 am

I am currently obsessed with their frozen riced cauliflower. I hear it sells out quickly when they get a shipment so I load up whenever I see it!
    I also love their fresh pre cubed butternut squash. I love roasting this and serving it over some of the riced cauliflower with chickpeas.
    Trader Joe’s Almond Butter is also my all time favorite out there.
    I do love their superfood pilaf as well.
    Trader Joe’s is the best!

Sarah February 1, 2016 at 10:40 am

I can’t tell for sure but it looks like you have some vanana yogurt? That stuff is the best! I love it with some hemp seeds in it!

I love almost everything I have had from there… but something from there I have never found anywhere else: mochi ice cream balls. They’re super good and something small to satisfy a sweet tooth 🙂

+ their refigerated tamales. Holy cow… they are even great with scrambled eggs and salasa for breakfast.

Jill February 1, 2016 at 11:18 am

The White Bean & Basil Hummus from TJ’s is out of this world!

Tina February 1, 2016 at 11:32 am

Love that stuff!!

Dana February 1, 2016 at 3:07 pm

This is going to sound nuts, but I LOVE their grilled (I think??) cauliflower with some of the sweet chili sauce that I mix with a little Primal Kitchen mayo. OH MY. And chocolate honey mints. And the chocolate batons–fair trade, organic and NO SOY! which is so hard to find. And the roasted potato and peppers mix is PERFECT for when I don’t plan a dinner with a roasted potato side, and still want it for a breakfast bowl–not perfect on ingredients, but super tasty!

Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio February 1, 2016 at 10:47 pm

Mmmmm Trader Joe’s.

Maureen February 2, 2016 at 8:07 am

Right now I am loving their frozen angus beef burgers. I can cook one up in less than 15 minutes, throw it on a bed of greens and top with a runny egg for a super fast dinner!

Sarah February 9, 2016 at 10:27 am

I just started following @traderjoeslist on Insta and there are some good reccs there. I recently saw the new item, Sweet Onion & Bacon Vinaigrette – fantastic on salads, chicken, anything. Very versatile. My favorite fish recipe that I haven’t made in a while is Moroccan Fish with Chermoula. Its very simple dish. You layer potatoes, then fish, make a herb/spice mixture (cilantro, garlic, paprika, cumin, ginger, cayenne, lemon) in a mini food processor, and then layer on peppers and onions, lemon slices. Foil, Bake – 1-dish meal with starch, veggies, protein, herbs and TONS of flavor. Laying the potatoes down first, then fish makes the potatoes crispy, but steams the fish as it bakes. You can mix it up depending on what you have on hand. Excellent leftovers, too. Here’s an example. http://zagleft.com/food/moroccan-baked-fish-with-chermoula/

Tina February 9, 2016 at 10:30 am

Mmm! Love this! Thank you!!