• Life Since Christmas

January 4, 2016

Life since Christmas? Cliffs notes: We didn’t stop moving! Holy cow. I’m exhausted.

12/26: The day after Christmas, we took down our tree and decorations… packed them up and put them in the attic until next year. Then, we cleaned the whole house. Holy pine needles!

12/27: We had friends over for wine and apps. We tested out our new Corkcicle Wine Chiller from my sister. It works great, so now we don’t have to leave the couch in order to refill our glasses anymore! Haha!

And then we went out to dinner at Scarlet Oak Tavern. We kept Quinn entertained with a Slinky and a balloon!

I ordered a Caesar salad with salmon on top. It was sooooo delicious!

12/28: It was pizza night at our house. Quinn helped make the pizza and, when it was finished cooking, he actually ate a few bites! Success! He also ate 4 (yes, 4!!) French fries at Scarlet Oak the night before!

IMG_1548

12/29: Quinn went to daycare. (We pay for it if he goes or not.) I went to a doctor’s appointment. Mal did some house projects.

IMG_1511 (1024x1024) (2)

12/30: I ran 10 miles with Marisa.

It was our last run of 2015!

That afternoon, Mal and I took Quinn to get his hair cut. (Please note the adorable mini UGGS. Omg, I can’t get enough of them, especially with his skinny jeans. And I got them for 1/3 of the price from thredUP!)

That night, I met some friends for a girls’ night at Scarlet Oak.

We drank champagne and ate lots of delicious apps! The tuna tartar was excellent!

12/31: New Year’s Eve was low-key, but really fun. I made bacon-wrapped crackers as an appetizer.

Waiting for our friends to arrive… how adorable are these two?!

We ordered Chinese food for dinner and then spent the rest of the night watching football and laughing a whole lot.

Our friends didn’t leave until after the ball dropped, so Murphy was more than ready for bed.

IMG_1604 (1)

1/1: I met Kerrie for a workout at KFIT. After Chinese food and wine, it almost killed me, but I’m glad I started the new year with a workout!

IMG_1628

Later that afternoon, we went to a New Year’s Day party, which was such a great idea. All of our friends have babies/kids now, so it was nice to get together during the day and celebrate the new year. I also loved our friends’ hot chocolate bar. It was such a cute idea!

And delicious!!

And our friends gave us a Gratitude Jar to remember the little things we are thankful for throughout the year. On New Year’s Eve later this year, we plan to take them out and read them all. What an awesome gift, right?

1/2: Mal and I did a killer workout at Salt Shack CrossFit and then hung out for a little while afterward. Quinn really loved helping the guys rack the weights. Too cute!

carrotsncake salt shack

That afternoon, we went to our friends’ daughter’s first birthday party. They hired a magician and Quinn got to pet the white rabbit at the end.

I spent the evening working and then climbed into bed with Murphy. I tried to read a magazine, but I was too tired.

IMG_1669

1/3: Mal let me sleep in and then he headed to Starbucks to catch up with some grading. Quinn and I went to Trader Joe’s to stock up on some healthy eats for the week. On the menu: Pumpkin Crockpot Steel-Cut Oatmeal, breakfast potatoes, 5-Minute Veggie Stir Fry, Sweet Potato & Black Bean Salad, and Maple-Mustard Tuna Steaks.

IMG_1680

Links of Interest

This Moroccan Carrot and Chickpea Salad Is Everything

The Right and Wrong Way to Eat Chia Seeds For Health

5-Ingredient Healthy Breakfasts to Make Your Mornings Easier

The 30-Day Program That Heals Unhealthy Food Habits

Burn Fat Fast With This Printable Plyo Workout

Show Your Appreciation With This 7-Day Gratitude Challenge

How to Make Homemade Cookie Butter – only 3 ingredients!

When do you take down your Christmas tree and decorations?

Karien @ Running the Race January 4, 2016 at 1:14 am

Wow, you guys have been BUSY!!

LOVE the gratitude jar – such a lovely idea!

Megan @ Skinny Fitalicious January 4, 2016 at 6:10 am

Love the gratitude jar. What a thoughtful gift! Looks like you guys had a fun holiday!

Brynn January 4, 2016 at 6:28 am

It sounds like a great mix of fun and rest since Christmas. We were running all week long, so my plans to take down the tree didn’t happen. Then again, I’m always sad to see it go, so I don’t mind a few extra days!

Gretchen January 4, 2016 at 6:35 am

Happy Monday! Looks like you had a fun and busy week after Christmas! Mine was super relaxing which I loved. I’m not ready to go back to work yet! My mom always told me to wait till Epiphany to take down my Christmas decorations which is on Wednesday!

Linz @ Itz Linz January 4, 2016 at 7:08 am

You guys have been busy! That’s the way I like it too!

Melissa January 4, 2016 at 7:32 am

Busy busy!! I am just curious, how come Quinn doesn’t eat much solid foods?

Tina January 4, 2016 at 7:48 am

We’re not sure. He has an appointment with an ENT doc later this week. Hopefully, we’ll get some answers then.

friend January 4, 2016 at 9:38 am

@Tina:

Have you tried limiting those smoothies? My son will drink his weight in milk if we let him, but eats less when we do, so I need to be mindful of it. Just a thought!

Liza January 4, 2016 at 11:50 am

@Tina: ENT doctor?

Tina January 4, 2016 at 12:14 pm

Ear, Nose & Throat doctor. Quinn has some ear stuff going on too.

Heidi Kokborg January 4, 2016 at 8:21 am

Love the idea about the gratitude jar! & I can’t believe how busy you guys have been. I hope you’ll soon have a little more time to relax!

Melissa January 4, 2016 at 8:33 am

Growing up my parents always took the decorations down on New Years Day. I hated it because it always made New Years Day feel so blah. Now, we take them down sometime between Christmas and New Years, just depending on how much time we have and how dead the tree has gotten. If it ends up being New Years Day, then so be it. But at least it doesn’t HAVE to be that day. 🙂

Morgan @ Morgan Manages Mommyhood January 4, 2016 at 9:08 am

Love the little recap! You have such a cute little fam. Quinn with the pizza is too funny!

BridgetHales@HotTeaTravel&Thyme January 4, 2016 at 9:32 am

The Gratitude Jar is such a great idea – I love it! I must start doing this soon.

We take all the Christmas decorations/tree down on 6 Jan (the old “12 days of Christmas” tradition, counting from Christmas Eve), so that means Wednesday is the day! I like having the lights up over the New Year to celebrate some more. 🙂

Sagan January 4, 2016 at 9:47 am

Ooh I like the idea of a gratitude jar—so cute!

And we got a wine chiller too but haven’t tested it out yet. I’m excited 😀

Tina January 4, 2016 at 1:09 pm

It’s such a nice accessory! I love that we don’t have to leave the couch to refill our wine glasses! 🙂

Kelli @ Hungry Hobby January 4, 2016 at 9:51 am

I can’t believe you guys took down your Christmas decorations the day after! Man you were on top of your game! I hit up the sales and bought a cute wreath from target at 75% off for next year ha ha! Let us know how the tuna recipe is, sounds delicious!

Jessica January 4, 2016 at 9:52 am

We have a fake tree, so I usually take it down on Martin Luther King day when I’m off from work. I’ll start putting away some of the other stuff this week, little by little. Christmas is my most favorite time of year, so I’m in no rush to get the decorations packed up!

Kelly @ Kelly Runs For Food January 4, 2016 at 10:13 am

Wow, you were busy! We took all our Christmas stuff down the day after Christmas too. Once it’s over I want to purge and clean everything haha!

Liz January 4, 2016 at 10:18 am

Ours are down! We try to take them down before New Years so we can start the New Year fresh. I do get sad to see them go but we put them up right after Thanksgiving so I get to enjoy them for a good long while. Already looking forward to next year 🙂

Tina January 4, 2016 at 1:08 pm

Me too! We had such a nice holiday season this year!

Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine January 4, 2016 at 10:22 am

Christmas everything stays up till maybe the last week of January 😉

Stacey January 4, 2016 at 10:31 am

His haircut is adorable! He sure looks like a little mini-Mal.
    Happy New Year!

Tina January 4, 2016 at 1:07 pm

They are totally twins! 🙂

Hilary January 4, 2016 at 10:36 am

I love the gratitude jar and that 7 day gratitude challenge!

Britt@MyOwnBalance January 4, 2016 at 10:47 am

I love the idea of a gratitude jar! It’s so good to remember all the things you have and not just focus on the negative stuff!

Shel@PeachyPalate January 4, 2016 at 12:40 pm

That salmon looks divine! I’m such a salmon kick of late, smoked, fresh fillets, canned…all so good!

Tina January 4, 2016 at 1:07 pm

Me too! I’m obsessed lately!

Chase January 4, 2016 at 12:58 pm

We took them down this past weekend! I’m definitely in the camp that MUST keep the tree up through New Year’s Day.

Cate January 4, 2016 at 1:02 pm

Sounds like a great vacation! My tree is still up and I usually keep it up through Little Christmas on 1/6 and other decorations through the end of January. I decorate more for winter than Christmas on purpose just so I can keep my lights out longer. 🙂

I was actually at Scarlet Oak Tabern yesterday for brunch and thought I saw you there! Guess it wasn’t you.

Happy Monday!

Tina January 4, 2016 at 1:05 pm

Nope, it wasn’t me, but I sure do love brunch at Scarlet Oak!! What’d you get? 🙂

Cate January 4, 2016 at 1:13 pm

all their food is great! Started out with mimosas, of course, then my friend and I shared the crab dip, lobster pizza and the monte cristo. So not healthy, but oh so good!

Tina January 4, 2016 at 1:21 pm

Yummmmmm! Good picks!!

Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner January 4, 2016 at 1:26 pm

I can’t bear to take decorations down until after New Year’s Day. I plan to take mine down tomorrow. I just love sitting by tree light at night before bed while reading or watching TV. Sounds like you need a couple days of relaxation after all that busyness!

Julia @ Lord Still Loves Me January 4, 2016 at 3:31 pm

Yay for Quinn branching out and trying new food! All of your food looks mighty tasty! Sounds like you had a lovely holiday season. Thank you for sharing all of it!

Heathers Looking Glass January 4, 2016 at 4:56 pm

Wow super busy! I took ours down on New Yea’rs day. They start to make me sad after awhile b/c I know Christmas is so far away!

Ellen Renee January 4, 2016 at 6:35 pm

I wanted to let you know that I made the highly recommended cheesy tater tot casserole….my family…big fans. Thanks for the recipe!

Tina January 4, 2016 at 7:41 pm

So glad to hear that! We love it too!

Shay @ Whine Less, Breathe More January 4, 2016 at 10:25 pm

We have all been sick over here so our tree is still up. It’s okay, I like the look of it. =)

Sheena @ Paws and Pavement January 4, 2016 at 10:52 pm

I just took down our Christmas decorations tonight while watching The Bachelor. I love the Christmas season but it’s time…

Tina January 5, 2016 at 5:48 am

So excited The Bachelor just started!

Stephanie January 7, 2016 at 10:04 pm

I still need to take my tree down; I got a nasty cold the weekend of NYE. Quinn is so cute! I love his smile!

I saw someone else do the gratitude jar. What a phenomenal idea!