• High Low High VII

January 18, 2016

Hi, friends!

How was your weekend? Ours was pretty good. We had a mix of high and low moments, so I figured another edition of “High Low High” was the perfect way to recap. If you’re unfamiliar with this series, I recap the high and low points of our weekend. I always like to finish on a high note, so there are always more “highs” than “lows.” If you’d like to play along, please leave a comment with your “high low high” from the weekend. Ok, here we go!

HIGH: Playing silly games with Quinn! My gosh, I love 19 months. He’s becoming a little person with such a goofy sense of humor (just like his dad), and I love making him laugh so much. Dragging Quinn around the house in a storage tub was absolutely hilarious for the both of us!

IMG_1987 (1280x1280)

LOW: Quinn getting a stomach bug. The poor peanut threw up twice on Thursday and felt terrible all afternoon long.

IMG_2006 (1280x960)

HIGH: Quinn’s stomach bug passing quickly. He was good as new the next day! (He’s watching birds out the window in the photo below. Caw-caw!)

IMG_2008

LOW: Getting Quinn’s stomach bug and spending most of Friday night throwing up. Uggghhh. It was awful. I hate throwing up so much.

HIGH: Feeling much better on Saturday morning and enjoying some Tina time while Mal and Quinn were at CrossFit. Golden Grahams + The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills for the win!

IMG_2004 (1280x1280)

HIGH: Running 13.1 miles at the Winter Warlock Half Marathon with Marisa!

IMG_2074

LOW: The Winter Warlock Half Marathon. I didn’t run a good race (whomp whomp) and it was easily the most disorganized and poorly planned half marathon I’ve ever run. Full recap coming later this week.

HIGH: Post-race brunch with friends! We made a Cheesy Tater Tot Breakfast Bake (I used an additional egg in the recipe) and a Cinnamon Roll French Toast Bake (I used one less egg). Mmm! They are seriously the best brunch dishes!

IMG_2084

Links of Interest

Maybe You Aren’t Gluten Intolerant. Maybe You’re Just Poison Intolerant

Drunk Girls Get Surprised With Puppies – Still funny weeks later!

Woman Tries To Return A Coat She Bought Online, Store’s Response Goes Viral – Love this story about Zulily!

Scientists close to ‘turning off’ bowel disease

Your turn! What’s your High Low High for the weekend?

Megan @ Skinny Fitalicious January 18, 2016 at 6:22 am

High was spending a day out with my Mom for brunch and shopping at Athleta. Low was not getting enough work done and feeling like I’m starting this week unorganized. Hope you’re feeling better!

Brynn January 18, 2016 at 8:03 am

High was spending an extra day with my boys. Low is Mitch is cutting two molars. Poor babe :/

sarah January 18, 2016 at 8:23 am

Stomach bug on Friday and half-marathon on Sunday?! Wow! Hope you’re getting some rest today!

melissa January 18, 2016 at 8:44 am

similar to you. My 18 month old had the stomach flu Thursday, I was sick friday and saturday with the same bug. don’t think I could have ever snuck in exercise – let alone a marathon! Glad everyone is on the mend!

Kelli @ Hungry Hobby January 18, 2016 at 9:06 am

Oh my gosh did you get the stomach bug right before the race? Who care how fast you went, you are a champ for making it at all! My high was running 12 miles (longest ever for me), my low was stomach flu like symptoms after. I definitely wont be adding anything to my water again… whomp whomp

Carolyn January 18, 2016 at 11:20 am

I agree with this! You were just throwing up, less than 48 hours before the race, and you still went and did it!! That’s awesome! It would be hard to have the best race after that happens to our body. From a runner, to another runner who can be hard on herself but trying to let go, awesome job! 😉

Jessica January 18, 2016 at 10:36 am

My high was going for a run in the snow yesterday, and my low was packing up all the Christmas decorations- not nearly as low as catching a stomach bug! So glad you and your crew are feeling better!

Nikki January 18, 2016 at 11:11 am

I read the gluten intolerance article because my husband has celiacs and we’re concerned for my 8-month old. It looks like that article has some mistruths to it, but here’s a good follow up article!

Anna January 18, 2016 at 11:52 am

@Nikki:
    Nikki- have you had your son tested for the 2 genetic markers? If he has one of them, then you know Celiac could be expressed later in life. If not, he’s in the clear 🙂

Nikki January 18, 2016 at 12:53 pm

We haven’t had him tested, that’s a great recommendation! I admit I haven’t stayed up-to-date on the latest gluten testing since we just don’t eat it anymore (and all I remembered was that past testing was quite invasive!). We’re just following the newest recommendation of no gluten before 2 if at risk for celiacs (see http://www.m.webmd.com/children/news/20151117/more-gluten-before-age-2-linked-to-celiac-disease-in-at-risk-kids?src=RSS_PUBLIC ) but I will definitely be bringing the genetic test up with our pediatrician! My husband, both his parents, and all of their siblings have celiacs, so it’s not looking good for the little guy but our family hasn’t eaten it in years so he’ll be fine 🙂

Anna January 18, 2016 at 11:50 am

You are incredible for running a half marathon the day after a flu. When I have the flu I can barely pour my own ginger ale lol!

Erin @ Erin's Inside Job January 18, 2016 at 12:52 pm

Ahaha drunk girls surprised w puppies. I love it.

My high was going back to VA to visit w friends and getting my makeup done for my husband’s holiday party. Low was prob having to say goodbye to my sister’s dog who I love to pieces.

Colleen January 18, 2016 at 1:15 pm

After seeing your Instagram post of the Golden Grahams, I threw a box in my shopping cart, I forgot how much I loved them. Can see why you ate them after feeling sick, they are a comfort food. That little high took a backseat to my dishwasher going kaput though. Is so time consuming to wash dishes by hand.

Tina January 18, 2016 at 2:11 pm

Ugh, that stinks so much, but Golden Grahams are a definite high!

Rachel @ Simply Rachel Nicole January 18, 2016 at 1:51 pm

I’m so sorry Quinn got sick! Poor little guy. But way to go on your half! You’re amazing! I can’t wait to hear about it! 🙂

Julia@yogawinehappiness.com January 18, 2016 at 3:59 pm

The stomach flu is a definite low!! I love Golden Grahams and haven’t had any since I was little. They are so delicious!

Melissa @ melissakolbeck.com January 18, 2016 at 4:07 pm

High was going to ballet on Friday night after almost a week away from it due to our crazy schedule. I need the me-time! Low was Ellie being super out of sorts yesterday for some reason, and another high was a glass of wine and chocolate last night after she went to bed!

Sheena @ Paws and Pavement January 18, 2016 at 5:36 pm

High – fun game night with friends
    Low – bad weather so long run was on the treadmill

Courtney @ ScoopingRN January 18, 2016 at 8:26 pm

Stomach flu and a half in the same weekend? You’re amazing! My low was postponing wine time due to a leak at my ice cream store…womp womp. My high was brunch with friends and a new sweatshirt from Lulu!

Jessica January 18, 2016 at 10:00 pm

High: Taking a walk on the beach trail with a girlfriend. Long walks + talks are the best! Low: Catching whatever it was that my fiancé had earlier in the week and staying in bed all day Saturday and most of Sunday. High: Getting over the crap fairly quickly and enjoying a 70 degree day in Southern California!

Christine January 19, 2016 at 9:46 am

High – Having my parents over this weekend
    Low – MIL is in the hospital, has put a huge damper on our moods as we pray for her
    High – My neighbor snowblowing our drive way since I was taking care of a 14month old and my husband was at the hospital…warmed my heart, it was so kind

I’m praying the stomach bug doesn’t hit our house, its going around my son’s daycare right now and with my husband away I can’t imagine having it and taking care of a 14 month old 🙁

Megan L. January 19, 2016 at 9:49 am

My high: was getting to spend the day waiting out a snow storm cuddling with the husband watching the Martian movie. Highly recommend if you haven’t seen it.

Low: Morning sickness is having it’s way with me. Sometimes I can’t eat enough. Other times (most of the time) I don’t want anything. The blessings of the first trimester.

High: Catching up with a friend and enjoying a Chai tea during our very necessary visit.

Katelyn @ katerunshappy January 20, 2016 at 10:14 am

High: My family went skiing in NY for the holiday weekend.

Low: I caught a cold and could only ski one day.

High: Despite my cold, I still got to spend plenty of quality time with my cousins and family!