• Bacon Grilled Cheese Croutons

January 14, 2016

This post is brought to you by Dave’s Killer Bread.

Hello!

We are on a soup kick over here! And did you know that January is National Soup Month? Clearly, it’s the perfect time to enjoy soup, especially since the cold weather is here to stay for the next several weeks. (Oh, boy.)

As a kid growing up, I remember coming in from playing outside with my sister in the chilly temps and my mom making us tomato soup with a grilled cheese sandwiches for lunch.

IMG_1690

Even today as an adult, I still crave a good tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwich after being outside in the cold, which, of course, inspired the recipe below. It’s the best of both worlds and less messy than dipping my grilled cheese into my soup. Plus, there’s bacon. And we all know bacon makes everything better.

SAMSUNG CSC

Even though there’s bacon in this recipe, I kept the New Year and weight loss resolutions in mind by using DKB Thin-Sliced Powerseed Bread. It’s made from organic fruit juices instead of sugar, so it only has 60 calories (3g fiber, 3g of protein) per serving, so there’s room for a bacon splurge every now and then.

SAMSUNG CSC

And, of course, the grainy texture and hearty flavor of this bread pairs nicely with a warm bowl of soup, especially when it comes to Bacon Grilled Cheese Croutons. I mean, you can’t go wrong with that, and you probably won’t be able to eat soup and grilled cheese the same way again!

Bacon Grilled Cheese Croutons

Ingredients:

Directions:

Spread butter on both slices of bread.

SAM_6238 (1024x683)

Butter side down, place bread on a griddle/Griddler or frying pan. Layer cheese and bacon and then top with the other buttered slice of bread. Cook until bread is golden brown and cheese is melted.

SAMSUNG CSC

Place grilled cheese sandwich on a cutting board and allow to cool slightly. Then, cut into 16 pieces.

SAMSUNG CSC

Add Bacon Grilled Cheese Croutons to soup, grab a spoon, and enjoy!

SAMSUNG CSC

Recipe makes 16 croutons/1 serving

SAMSUNG CSC

After playing outside as a kid: soup or hot chocolate? Or something else?

Traci January 14, 2016 at 7:18 am

hot chocolate was always waiting for me and my sisters after a day in the snow! We’d shed our snow suits and boots in the mudroom and sit right in the entry way and drink it. Funny the things you remember so vividly!

Karen@fabinyour40s.com January 14, 2016 at 7:23 am

Cup O’ Soup or in other words “salt in a bowl”… Truly, these were a staple when I was a kid. Just rip open the package and pour in hot water. If that little ball of salt didn’t melt all the way and you ate it by accident though…. ugh

They even still make those?

Kim January 14, 2016 at 8:01 am

Tina~ what is your fav tomato soup? I had some tomato soup & grilled cheese last night and I wasn’t thrilled with the taste of my tomato soup so I’m looking for better recommendations. And the bacon grilled cheese croutons look so yummy! Making them this weekend as it’s going to be freezing here in Minnesota :-/

Tina January 14, 2016 at 11:20 am

Annie’s makes a great one!!

Jessica January 14, 2016 at 12:19 pm

Amy’s tomato bisque is the best! It has big chunks of tomato and isn’t heavy with cream like most bisques are.

Kim January 14, 2016 at 8:03 am

and I forgot to add, hot cocoa after sledding all day outside with my little brother and friends, Swiss Miss with little marshmellows!

Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food January 14, 2016 at 8:05 am

I love this post because it brought back all those memories of playing outside ALL day with my neighbors! We would always come in for lunch and dinner and it’s a toss-up as to what we would have…both soup and hot chocolate were staples on the menu!!

Britt@MyOwnBalance January 14, 2016 at 8:12 am

yes and yes! I think I would make like three of these and have some in my soup and eat some straight up!!

Tina January 14, 2016 at 8:14 am

Tina! Where do you buy this bread? I don’t have a costco or sam’s club membership – and I don’t think you do either. Was wondering where i could buy it from?

Tina January 14, 2016 at 8:20 am

Check out the store locator on the DKB website. Regular grocery stores are starting to sell it. You can also buy it online!

Kelli @ Hungry Hobby January 14, 2016 at 8:33 am

I think I missed a part of American childhood, there was no cold winter day food traditions in our house. Probably because AZ is back in the 60’s already, last night during my track workout I thought “well that was a fun 10 runs in full running gear, if that! ” So the craving for soup has kind of started to pass lol However, I’ll take a good grilled cheese sandwich ANY DAY! My grandma did usee to make her grileld cheese with miracle whip in it ha ha!

Brynn January 14, 2016 at 8:49 am

We had these at a restaurant and have copied at home – total genius!

Megan @ Skinny Fitalicious January 14, 2016 at 9:28 am

Soup is so warm and comforting! I’ve been eating it a lot this winter especially vegetarian soups. They’re such a great way to fill up on veggies.

Sagan January 14, 2016 at 10:09 am

This sounds amazing and now my life is complete 😉

{ALWAYS hot chocolate as a kid & an adult after playing outdoors!}

Melissa January 14, 2016 at 10:09 am

I LOVE grilled cheese and tomato soup, and I’m pretty sure my husband would die for this! When did bacon become a THING anyway? Haha!

Ellen @ My Uncommon Everyday January 14, 2016 at 10:26 am

Bacon grilled cheese miiight complete my life. Yum! After playing outside as a kid, I’d always go for Swiss Miss with the mini marshmallows 🙂

Tina January 14, 2016 at 10:30 am

I loved Swiss Miss!! If always save the marshmallows for the end!

Chelsea@TableForOne January 14, 2016 at 11:05 am

Grilled Cheese Croutons….I have never even thought to try that before! It is snowing buckets today, so I might just have to try this toasty treat.

Anna January 14, 2016 at 12:01 pm

My go to growing up was a big bowl of Annie’s mac n cheese 🙂 I wasn’t a huge hot chocolate or soup fan.

Sheena @ Paws and Pavement January 14, 2016 at 2:18 pm

I definitely loved the hot chocolate with lots of marshmellows!

Rachel @ Simply Rachel Nicole January 14, 2016 at 3:04 pm

Wow I mean wow! These need to get in my mouth right now!!

christina guglielmo January 14, 2016 at 4:39 pm

Hi Tina! I am an avid follower of your blog and get your emails! You had introduced me to Zulily I believe a few months back. I just saw this great news story: http://nymag.com/thecut/2016/01/zulily-wouldnt-take-back-this-coat.html?om_rid=AAXhvr&om_mid=_BWmAejB9JjVcZp

Have you you heard about it?!

Xo
    Christina

Tina January 14, 2016 at 4:41 pm

That’s awesome! Thanks for sharing the link!

Ellen Renee January 14, 2016 at 7:03 pm

Hot chocolate as a kid but as an adult…soup! I keep looking for that bread…I NEED it in my belly! lol Your croutons sound wonderful but I would only be able to put 1 piece in my soup at a time….have terrible texture issues…could not possibly eat soggy croutons! :o) Just reading the story of Quinn enjoying his soup and soggy crackers made me shudder….yes…I am a mess!