• What I’m Loving Lately XVI

July 9, 2014

Hello, hello! I hope your day is off to a fabulous start!

Here’s another edition of What I’m Loving Lately!

Murphy’s kiddie pool

At the end of last summer, my mom bought Murphy a kiddie pool since we put him in a cooler to help him cool off. The pool works a lot better than the cooler, and Murphy loves it!

SAM_0976 (800x533)

What to Buy at Trader Joe’s: The Best and Worst Deals

Pug books

My friends from General Mills recently sent me the most amazing care package with all sorts of wonderful things for Q, including a bunch of pug books, which are so incredibly adorable. (I may have gotten a little choked up when I opened the package and saw them… crazy postpartum hormones!) Mal and I already read through a couple of the books, and we can’t wait to read them to Q when he’s a little older.

Chick ‘n’ Pug and Chick ‘n’ Pug Meet The Dude

SAMSUNG CSC

Pugs in a Bug

SAMSUNG CSC

Pug’s Hug

SAMSUNG CSC

15 Ways to Stay Married for 15 Years – such great advice!

Get Rid of Your Acne by Fixing Your Gut – I {heart} Chris Kresser.

Priming for Paleo: Experts Share Tips for Starting the Paleo Diet

Four Paleo experts – Dr. Loren Cordain, Neely Quinn of PaleoPlan, Melissa Hartwig of Whole9, and Diane Sanfilippo of Balanced Bites – were interview on what it means to really “go Paleo.” They all discuss why a Paleo diet is important and their own special tricks for managing cravings.

Priming for Paleo - Experts Share Tips for Starting the Paleo Diet

8 Things You May Not Know About Nutella

Gabby Reece on Breastfeeding and Fitness

Babyganics foaming dish & bottle soap

The folks from Babyganics sent me a few of their product to try, and I absolutely love the foaming dish & bottle soap. I keep it right by our kitchen sick for easy access when it comes to cleaning breast pump pieces and bottles. A little goes a long way, and it foams up like crazy! And, of course, I love that it’s a “baby-safe” product and made from all-natural ingredients.

Questions of the Day

What are your favorite deals at Trader Joe’s?

What’s your favorite children’s book?

Do you have a love affair with Nutella?

Heathers Looking Glass July 9, 2014 at 8:55 am

OMG those pug books are adorable. I need to try to find some poodle books for when baby M arrives in September!

Katie @ happygokatie July 9, 2014 at 9:01 am

I’m so happy someone did a best/worst deals at Trader Joe’s. I am on a major budget and split my shopping between multiple grocery stores and the farmers’ market, so this was great! Thanks!

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats July 9, 2014 at 9:07 am

I’m definitely checking out that Trader Joe’s article – I shop there for most of my groceries!

Britt@MyOwnBalance July 9, 2014 at 9:16 am

I like nutella but I love almond butter! I think that is where my real love affair lies! The Justin’s chocolate hazelnut is pretty darn good!

Megan @ The Skinny-Life July 9, 2014 at 9:17 am

I don’t shop at Trader Joes much. I usually go to Sprouts. When I do go to TJs, I stock up on produce, bananas and nuts. They really do have the best prices I’ve found on those things.

Shel@PeachyPalate July 9, 2014 at 9:19 am

I make my own chocolate hazelnut spread…more like Justin’s but drippier! Way better than Nutella! :)

Brynn July 9, 2014 at 9:22 am

I love the marriage tips! They are so true. Loyalty is number one; have each other’s backs and always be their biggest fan. I’m five years in and am looking forward to fifteen, twenty, fifty and more!

Ashley @ Saving Money in your Twenties July 9, 2014 at 9:24 am

Can’t wait to check out the TJ’s article! My friend told me about their black bean burgers- I want to go try those!

Stephanie @ My Freckled Life July 9, 2014 at 9:45 am

Those pug books are seriously adorable! What a thoughtful gift! I have a friend who is also pug obsessed… now I know what I’m getting her for Christmas this year!

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More July 9, 2014 at 9:45 am

I do 95% of my shopping at Trader Joes and always feel like I’m getting some GREAT prices overall on my groceries. It’s interesting that frozen fruits and veggies are on the “don’t buy” list because I always feel like the prices are better but it must be that whole price-per-ounce kind of thing…

jen July 9, 2014 at 12:55 pm

@Katie @ Talk Less, Say More:
    I also find that there frozen fruit and veggies taste fresher and better then other stores do. I do find buying frozen fruit at BJ’s is a little cheaper then TJ’s but like I said TJ’s just taste fresher to me.

erin July 9, 2014 at 9:52 am

I love Trader Joe’s and do 90% of my shopping there. I particularly love their coconut oil, olive oil, nuts and nut butters. Oh and their applewood smoked bacon is the best. Ok I like just about everything there:)

I use to buy their turkey meatballs all the time, then I realized they contain mechanically separated turkey. Now I make skinnytastes crock pot turkey meatballs instead.

Elizabeth Williams July 9, 2014 at 11:38 am

What’s the issue with mechanically separated turkey?

erin July 9, 2014 at 1:55 pm

@Elizabeth Williams:

Mechanically separate turkey is otherwise known as “pink slime”

I also don’t buy and brand of hot dogs that use it either.

Audrey @ In Shape Cupcake July 9, 2014 at 10:02 am

Nutella is alright, i don’t eat it too often.
    I wish i had a TJ! ugh, i’ve been once and loved it!

Anele @ Success Along the Weigh July 9, 2014 at 10:04 am

Well, considering TJ’s has been pulling our favorite items, I’m getting more than miffed with them. But of the stuff we love that they still carry, we can’t not walk out without the snack bags of Lite Kettle Corn, whole wheat naan and their current spotlight cheese (havarti/muenster mix) is pretty awesome!

I just had Nutella on my banana this morning. YUM!

Rita July 9, 2014 at 10:05 am

The closest Trader Joe’s is an hour away, so I will often just take a day off during the week to go there and not deal with the weekend crowds. Last time I was there I spent like $275 and had an overflowing cart full of wonderful goodness. I bought a lot of the same stuff that is mentioned in the article. Plus some other goodies I found while perusing up and down the aisles.

Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries July 9, 2014 at 10:18 am

I have no idea what my favorite deals are at Trader Joe’s, but I have plenty of favorite foods from there! I’m not sure if I could ever consider TJ’s a good deal (for me) because I always buy too many extras. Haha! Everything just lures me in…

Heck yes to Nutella! A jar doesn’t last longer than a few days around here. Daaaaangerous stuff. ;)

Kimberly July 9, 2014 at 10:22 am

Thank you for posting the Chris Kresser article! As someone who is constantly struggling with skin issues it was a great read. Very informative and gave me lots to think about.

Michelle July 9, 2014 at 10:27 am

I love that kiddie pool! I recently saw something on Pinterest where someone put a kiddie pool into the ground for their dog and they made it look really nice. I may have to get one for my dogs!

Livi @ Eat, Pray, Work It Out July 9, 2014 at 10:31 am

I need to read that Trader Joe’s article!! And the nutella one!

Kristen @ Vitamin K Girl July 9, 2014 at 10:33 am

Love the kiddie pool for Murphy! My dog actually has a “play date” today with a dog who has a kiddie pool–now I’m wondering if he’s just using the other dog for his cool toys;)

Tina July 9, 2014 at 11:14 am

Haha!

Leslie @ Life Begins @ 30? July 9, 2014 at 10:54 am

I laughed out loud at Murphy in a cooler! The pug books are too cute too.

I love Trader Joes. I buy so many things from there, but my faves are: bananas, greens, their frozen chinese food, precooked frozen brown rice, edamame, roasted corn, natural peanutbutter, coffee, raw almonds, hummus, and of course-wine! :)

Alex @ Kenzie Life July 9, 2014 at 11:11 am

I had no idea there were so many pug-themed children’s books out there! How cool :)

Tina July 9, 2014 at 11:14 am

Me either until now!

Sabrina July 9, 2014 at 11:32 am

@Tina: Hey Tina, there is actually a new study about the benefits of reading to your kids starting as infants so go ahead and bust those adorable pug books out and read them to baby Q.

Tina July 9, 2014 at 12:04 pm

Nice! We will! 😄

meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles July 9, 2014 at 11:12 am

I love Babyganics! I have been using their sunblock for two years now for myself and for my son. Neither of us are babies but I love their product for the ingredients. I think I even have my son using the shampoo as well.

Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner July 9, 2014 at 11:15 am

No Trader Joe’s by me–I wish. I love the marriage tips, though….they are SO TRUE! I just found this super cool children’s book that I can’t wait to buy for my niece Aurelia. It’s called “The Little Girl (or Boy) Who Lost His Name,” and it’s personalized so that the kid in the story finds his name as the story goes on. It is so cool

Rebecca Jo July 9, 2014 at 11:16 am

Those pug books are fantastic!!!
    We had a pool for our yellow lab – she loved it! enough to eat part of it….

Amanda July 9, 2014 at 11:53 am

We have a Lab and he loves getting in a pool. He’ll just sit in it and look around. It’s super cute.

I really wish we had Trader Joe’s here. I see so many people talking about how amazing it is.

Mmm Nutella! I don’t eat it often but I love it on strawberries.

Melissa @ Mel's Miles July 9, 2014 at 11:54 am

I loove Nutella! I moved home for a year after college and my mom always yelled at me for buying Nutella because its main ingredient is sugar. Who cares, though? It’s delicious, haha. Now that I’ve moved out, I can buy Nutella without being judged ;)

Sarah @ Sweet Miles July 9, 2014 at 12:22 pm

The Paleo book looks awesome! I would love to read something like that to really help me get off on the right foot! Awww Murphy, such a character :)

Annette@FitnessPerks July 9, 2014 at 12:41 pm

Loved some of those articles, thanks! :)

Caitlin @ Happy 'n' Hungry July 9, 2014 at 12:49 pm

I do love Nutella. I love it on many things, but especially on toast with a bit of nut butter and a banana. Yum!!!

Ashlee July 9, 2014 at 1:08 pm

Check out The Bear in Underwear. It’s so cute!! And The Pigeon Wants a Puppy… so cute and funny.

We’re a devout Nutella household. It makes us happy when we’re sad, and happier when we’re happy.

Tina July 9, 2014 at 1:55 pm

I’ve heard those are cute books. I’ll def check them out! 😄

Michelle (The Runner's Plate) July 9, 2014 at 1:36 pm

That was good marriage advice! As random as these posts are, I really enjoy reading them. :)

Liz July 9, 2014 at 2:13 pm

I’m nervous to read the article about Nutella because I love it so much I don’t want anything to ruin it for me! Haha

Jaclyn @ BumpSweat July 9, 2014 at 2:27 pm

I ate the most delicious PB & nutella sandwich this past weekend! And I have a definite nerd-crush on Chris Kresser. I often download his podcasts and listen to them on my morning walks… he’s too smart!

Natalie @ The Ravenous Mommy July 9, 2014 at 2:32 pm

I miss Trader Joes!!! The wine is a much better deal there than it is here in Canada!

My son loves the book “Little Blue Truck”. Especially since he can now say the word truck, hehe.

Kristi July 9, 2014 at 2:50 pm

In college, I did an entire speech about Nutella once… guess you can say I LOVE that stuff!

Tina July 9, 2014 at 3:25 pm

Haha! That’s awesome!

Cara @ Little Chickadee July 9, 2014 at 3:15 pm

That TJ’s article is about to become my new Bible. Love it!

Tina July 9, 2014 at 3:25 pm

Nice!!

ErikaMC July 9, 2014 at 3:26 pm

There are so many wonderful children’s books. Our son’s current favorites are by Jez Alborough. You don’t have to wait for Quinn to be older though – start reading to him now! :)

erica July 9, 2014 at 4:12 pm

I am ADDICTED to those savory thins from trader joes. ADDICTED.

Lauren @ Focused To Be Fit July 9, 2014 at 4:20 pm

Nutella. Oh yes! I never had it until recently when Dan introduced it to me and now love it, but refuse to buy it because of that love!

Jennifer July 9, 2014 at 4:28 pm

My 11 month old son loves: Little Blue Truck, Tails, Brown Bear, Brown Bear What Do you See? (with the slider). Any book with a flap/peekaboo contraption is a hit!

Laura @ She Eats Well July 9, 2014 at 4:34 pm

I love the frozen organic berries at TJs, as they’re less expensive than other places. And of course, their almond butter is SO good and much more affordable.

That Nutella article blowed my mind! I will always love Nutella…

Jackie July 9, 2014 at 7:01 pm

My love affair is with any and all nut butters!

Michele July 9, 2014 at 7:18 pm

No Trader Joe’s near me, but they just opened one about an hour away 2 weeks ago. I plan on getting a huge cooler and going there one of these days very soon and stocking up. I’ve only ever been to a TJ’s when I travel so I am super excited to finally have a chance to actually go there and shop and be able to bring some stuff home!

I’ve never had Nutella. I’ve heard so much about it but I’ve never tried it. I really need to try it one of these days.

Katherine Baker July 9, 2014 at 8:38 pm

Chia seeds and Black Rice are so much cheaper there!!

Also you MUST MUST MUST get the Dark Chocolate Bar with Caramel and Sea Salt. It is honestly to die for. And only $1.99. You will abandon all fancy chocolate for this. Warning: easy to eat entire bar in one sitting so buy multiple!

Tina July 10, 2014 at 2:41 am

Yum! I will definitely be on the look out for that next time!

Rachel @ Blonde with a Chanse July 9, 2014 at 9:24 pm

I love Trader Joes but sadly I don’t get to go enough! I have so many things that I really want to try there :( It looks like you got in quite the haul!

Jess July 10, 2014 at 10:36 am

Gahh—I miss Nutella. I found out a few years ago that some troubling allergy symptoms were related to hazelnuts, almonds, and walnuts, I’ve had to swear it off. Good thing peanut butter is still okay! I actually love the creamy unsalted one at Trader Joe’s.

Monica @ Baby Steps July 10, 2014 at 11:02 am

My favorite two children’s books are Pout Pout Fish & Little Blue Truck! So cute!